Who will be our new coach next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

seems we've interviewed Don Pyke, did post that in the BB Nobles thread as well.

Not sure I really remember his coaching style tbh.

He was asked on the Saturday rub on triple m the other day before our game whether he’d be interested in the position, and said something along the lines of David was one of his close mates and thinks he’s been handed a difficult task. Didn’t sound like someone that would be interested in taking on the position.

He was asked on the Saturday rub on triple m the other day before our game whether he’d be interested in the position, and said something along the lines of David was one of his close mates and thinks he’s been handed a difficult task. Didn’t sound like someone that would be interested in taking on the position.

Oh I see, so it would seem we have indeed have had a chat.

seems we've interviewed Don Pyke, did post that in the BB Nobles thread as well.

Not sure I really remember his coaching style tbh.
Excellent. Assume it's in a Director of Coaching type of role. Having Pyke & Blakey, two very highly regarded offensive and defensive coaches respectively, around whoever coaches us next year, would be a very wise move.

Please tell me you're joking?

There is only so much I can take! lol

Goodness me.
A very likely possibility MLC.

The two options I see as most likely are:

Option 1 - The review finds that Noble is our guy for at least the next 12 months, just needs senior support around him in the form of strong assistants and GM's.

Option 2 - We have a ready to go replacement coach in Clarkson that will take the job.

What I do not think is as likely is:

Option 3 - We sack Noble, with no replacement that has a proven track record, putting in another newbie.

A very likely possibility MLC.

The two options I see as most likely are:

Option 1 - The review finds that Noble is our guy for at least the next 12 months, just needs senior support around him in the form of strong assistants and GM's.

Option 2 - We have a ready to go replacement coach in Clarkson that will take the job.

What I do not think is as likely is:

Option 3 - We sack Noble, with no replacement that has a proven track record, putting in another newbie.

Oh man........why can't there be an option 4 and we bring in a coach with a proven AFL record? EDIT - your option 2 please!!!

Look, you may be right and my thoughts are (very) well known sure but some of his coaching this year has been inexplicably bad - surely he takes responsibility for it not the assistants!

Pyke is a very unremarkable coach in the same vein that Leon Cameron is unremarkable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh man........why can't there be an option 4 and we bring in a coach with a proven AFL record?

Look, you may be right and my thoughts are (very) well known sure but some of his coaching this year has been inexplicably bad - surely he takes responsibility for it not the assistants!
Who?

Clarkson is the obvious one.
Longmire isn't leaving Sydney, absolutely no chance.
Simpson isn't leaving West Coast.
Mark Williams will be 65 years old next year and has not been an AFL head coach in 12 years.
Don Pyke has been on public record saying he prefers the assistant role after what happened at Adelaide & is also a good friend of Noble.
Leon Cameron, I don't personally rate at all.

Who else is there?

Your shouting from the tree tops without providing actual feasible solutions is what does my (and others) heads in. Give me an actual coach that has a proven AFL record & justify how & why they take the job.

Who?

Mark Williams will be 65 years old next year and has not been an AFL head coach in 12 years.
Don Pyke has been on public record saying he prefers the assistant role after what happened at Adelaide & is also a good friend of Noble.

Who else is there?

Your shouting from the tree tops without providing actual feasible solutions is what does my (and others) heads in. Give me an actual coach that has a proven AFL record & justify how & why they take the job.
Leppa - coaching with his mate macrae atm but was at tigers coaching their defence during the flag years

A ready made coach

The untried ones that look ready are gia who coached successfully his own VFL team and Yze next in charge at the dees

Who?

Who else is there?

Well I don't bloody know who is available or we can poach mate, all I do know is Noble is useless!!

Even Buckley has a far better record and no I am not suggesting him at all.

Yes Clarkson then please because he is ex-North, deserves another crack and I like the guy.

There, I have given a feasible solution. Happy now?! ; )

Leppa - coaching with his mate macrae atm but was at tigers coaching their defence during the flag years

A ready made coach

The untried ones that look ready are gia who coached successfully his own VFL team and Yze next in charge at the dees
Leppa has moved into list management & was also fired from coaching a rebuilding list. Extremely unlikely that he is going to move into a senior coaching role in the short term, particularly a side that has a list as bad as he had when he coached Brisbane. He also has a very poor senior coaching record, was an excellent assistant, so not sure why you think all of a sudden he would make a great senior coach?

Gia a complete unknown who has never been a senior coach at AFL level.

Yze I have a connection to and can tell you categorically that he is not interested in the North Melbourne job.

So he’s not dead in the water?

Oh well .

Maybe when he loses his 100th game in a row he might be hopefully.

We haven't won a (legit) game of footy this year, if that isn't enough to suggest he might not very good at coaching then i'm not sure what else would?

Well I don't bloody know who is available or we can poach mate, all I do know is Noble is useless!!

Even Buckley has a far better record and no I am not suggesting him at all.

Yes Clarkson then please because he is ex-North, deserves another crack and I like the guy.

There, I have given a feasible solution. Happy now?! ; )
I don't think you have given anything feasible tbh. Clarkson or nothing...

I don't think you have given anything feasible tbh. Clarkson or nothing...

I do.

You asked for an option, I have given one.

How many did you want?!

ps; Leppas coaching record is actually better than Nobles, so I don't know how you can back Noble and criticise Leppa on their respective records. And no I don't want him either btw, both failed.

I can't keep up Psicosis, are you back on the Noble wagon?
Not necessarily. My first preference would be Clarkson, however this appears to be a pipe dream.

What I don't want to do is take another big risk on a newbie coach, when we haven't given Noble the best opportunity to succeed (absolutely undeniable IMO). If the review finds that the issues with Noble are fixable, I'd rather we set him up to succeed with a stronger assistant team, and see how he goes for another 12 months.

Bringing in another rookie coach without the proper support around him, is a useless exercise IMO.

Not necessarily. My first preference would be Clarkson, however this appears to be a pipe dream.

What I don't want to do is take another big risk on a newbie coach, when we haven't given Noble the best opportunity to succeed (absolutely undeniable IMO). If the review finds that the issues with Noble are fixable, I'd rather we set him up to succeed with a stronger assistant team, and see how he goes for another 12 months.

Bringing in another rookie coach without the proper support around him, is a useless exercise IMO.
I would hope, though not expect, that given our position the AFL (in particular Gil who is in legacy mode and has media rights to deal with) would help us facilitate whatever the outcome of the review is. Whether that be helping subsidise Clarkson's salary, replacing and/or adding assistants, or hiring some other senior coach and their team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back