Preview Who will finish higher - Melbourne, Western Bulldogs, St Kilda or Hawthorn

Who will finish higher?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One can't read too much into preseason games, but to entirely dismiss them, especially in the new format, is folly.

Clubs only have two opportunities to be match ready for round one. Most clubs are playing their best teams in JLT1 and certainly are in JLT2. Teams have had 5 months to fine tune how they want to play and they certainly don't want to spud it up in front of their fans with a near full strength team at the first opportunity.

One reads Saints supporters trying to dismiss the result and refer to not getting out of "first or second gear". They are delusional. The Saints coaching group would have driven home last night with major concerns over their performance. How well did we move the ball, how did we defend, how were our skill levels, did we play the game on our terms, have our players developed ? The coaching group won't be nearly as dismissive as some Saints supporters.

The Saints set themselves to win AFLX. They also would have expected a victory last night over Carlton. The loss is no big deal, as there are no points on the line, but if I was a Saints supporter I'd have strong concerns over what I saw last night. Rather than progress in 2018 it wouldn't surprise me if they slide. I just don't see where the improvement is coming from. There's a fundamental lack of class.

Of course if they beat us Thursday JLT means nothing ;)

Don’t get me wrong I’m very happy with the proceedings so far. 2 first rounders for a third up defender with no midfield or forward ability and as we found only average at playing one on one. Yes he is a great intercept mark in defence, no question, but if he has a bad day there are few alternate positions other than the bench. But don’t take my word for it, season starts soon enough.

Can't wait to see what you say about Sloane in 12 months "can't handle a tag" o_O

Can't wait to see what you say about Sloane in 12 months "can't handle a tag" o_O
No I would never say that about such a quality player and bloke. While Lever is quoted as saying in the past that he would never leave the club that put their faith in his ability despite his history of injuries. Something that your club at the time was not prepared to do.

No I would never say that about such a quality player and bloke. While Lever is quoted as saying in the past that he would never leave the club that put their faith in his ability despite his history of injuries. Something that your club at the time was not prepared to do.

Turns out we didn't have to because we got him anyway

You make some good points about Billings' development being hampered by injury. But I'd also say AFL games are like gold for player development, and there is only so much you can do to get a kid ready for the real thing when playing in the VFL , so it is hard to trade-off Billings injuries against Sicily's lack of time in the seniors due to competing with a 3-peating list for spots in his first few years in the system.

That means that Omeara is probably stuffed... bugger.

So you censor the truth based on how you feel about someone ?

Not uncommon, although we now know you speak with forked tongue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The myth, the muscle, the man, the Billings. Saints will be up there with this Superstar.

The Hawks being written off a little too early for mine. They still have some very good mature players with some young guns thrown in as well.

The myth, the muscle, the man, the Billings. Saints will be up there with this Superstar.

The Hawks being written off a little too early for mine. They still have some very good mature players with some young guns thrown in as well.
What's with you and Billings? Do you think if you make crappy sarcastic jokes about him for long enough that he'll no longer be good? It's kind of strange.

I mean I could get it with McCartin, but trolling Billings doesn't really work that well.

What's with you and Billings? Do you think if you make crappy sarcastic jokes about him for long enough that he'll no longer be good? It's kind of strange.

I mean I could get it with McCartin, but trolling Billings doesn't really work that well.
I wasn’t being sarcastic. He’s back this week and will show how good he is.

God you have a weird obsession with Billings..

I wasn’t being sarcastic. He’s back this week and will show how good he is.
It's a practice game so to be honest we don't really care how well he goes as long as he gets through the game and gets runs into the legs. Regardless, looks like you're not going to stop your strange posting. "I wasn't being sarcastic". Righty-o.

Saints are effed. Richo not the man. Tactically out of his depth.

Good enough players.

Still a few passengers. Not high enough standards. Sloppiness accepted too readily.

Hunter Clark looks like a gun, saints should pump games into blokes like him and Coffield instead of Richo backing his C/B graders.

Would like to see Gresham play more midfield, also.

Saints are effed. Richo not the man. Tactically out of his depth.

Good enough players.

Still a few passengers. Not high enough standards. Sloppiness accepted too readily.

If we keep playing like this, at the end of the year we will be asking whether we do have good enough players.

I know its early but tonight isn't a great look. Melbourne exploit many of our positional weaknesses - ruck and midfield. We are lacking in the ruck, and we are lacking in the midfield. It looks like Melbourne's second tier midfield brigade would beat our best guys tonight, and that isn't good enough.

Although I am not a fan of Richo, I am not sure that it is his fault we are losing tonight.

Hunter Clark looks like a gun, saints should pump games into blokes like him and Coffield instead of Richo backing his C/B graders.

Would like to see Gresham play more midfield, also.

You would think Gresham absolutely has to play full time midfield. We are getting smashing in there and Gresham is one of the few players we have who can gather the ball cleanly. He is low to the ground, well balanced, and would be an asset in the midfield IMO.

Back