Why do Essendon have 2 websites?

Remove this Banner Ad

We have two club sites because we are lucky. Thanks god really, i feel sorry for supporters who have to use the disgrace that is the AFL/Telstra clubs sites.

Im quite sure Essendon would make a tidy profit off there website too, increased traffic (we promote it on our sponsor wall during interviews) compared to the official sites i would think and the heavily promoted bombershop etc.

I seem to have heard that the Bombers are the only AFL club to retain seperate control of their net website from the AFL. Remember they were paying players to go on there and there was a salary cap kerfuful over it? Smart if they did. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Yep, it's already been said, but it wasn't smarts which allowed them to do it early on - it was sponsorship.

When Telstra first signed the deal for exclusive Internet rights with the AFL, Essendon was (and still are) sponsored by a phone and (I think) Internet-phone (VoIP) provider 3. Obviously 3 (and Essendon) did not want Telstra able to advertise with impunity on the Essendon website, as that would completely contradict some of the contractual obligations between the club and their principal sponsor, so 3 built a site themselves and until reasonably recently, I think that was the only official site Essendon had (lucky them). From what I can gather Telstra has now included in their contract with the AFL (as of 2007) that if a club has a sponsor-run site, they (Telstra) will be able to create their own alternate site and link off the AFL website to theirs. I think the whole thing is arse myself - I mean I pay my membership fees to the club, not the AFL and certainly not Failstra.

I think the Bombers would have had to do some legal wrangling with the AFL and Telstra to get the rights to build the site originally, but one legal contract between two parties does not negate a legal contract between two other parties and the AFL had to decide whether the paultry amount Telstra paid for their Internet rights was worth more than jeopardising one of their clubs' major sponsorships.

And good on Essendon for getting it - all of the Telstra sites are utter rubbish.

One wonders whether Telstra's decision to call the clubs by their respective mascot (crows; bombers; tigers; etc) around the Telstra-run AFL site has anything to do with the fact that the only club site they run as second-fiddle is bombersfc.com.au (as opposed to essendonfc.com.au). I don't doubt it.

Good to see Collingwood supporters are all fired up for the game today.:D

because they were smart enough to relise that telstra are completely incompetent in everything they do, especially stuff that requires a little bit of intelligence, like making websites.

Just look at afl.com.au its shithouse

Much more than that...it was a business decision. The AFL administration are like a parasite...burrowed in sucking money out of your pocket

Just another reason why the Dons make money year in year out regardless of total members, onfield performance, etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back