Why is Australia the only nation to roll out roads despite fast bowling being our advantage?

Remove this Banner Ad

Roads are good for our fragile batsmen.

But usually we put out bouncy roads which our batsmen are - generally - ok with and give assistance to our quick bowlers that opposition batsmen often struggle to handle.

This summer the pitches were a little lifeless. Hard to get a batsmen out, but a batsmen never feels quite set. But with enough concentration a half decent bat can grind out 50 off 120 balls or something like that. Indicated by the lack of centuries - can't remember many (any?) series in Australia with less than one century per test?

Not my favourite wickets, but that's just personal preference. Others love the attritional warfare and I get that point of view.

The wickets weren't the reason we lost this series. We lost too many crucial sessions and the Indians showed more resolve than us. They deserve all the credit for that.

Last edited:

Roads are good for our fragile batsmen.

But usually we put out bouncy roads which our batsmen are - generally - ok with and give assistance to our quick bowlers that opposition batsmen often struggle to handle.

This summer the pitches were a little lifeless. Hard to get a batsmen out, but a batsmen never feels quite set. But with enough concentration a half decent bat can grind out 50 off 120 balls or something like that. Indicated by the lack of centuries - can't remember many (any?) series in Australia with less than one century per test?

Not my favourite wickets, but that's just personal preference. Others love the attritional warfare and I get that point of view.

The wickets weren't the reason we lost this series. We lost too many crucial sessions and the Indians showed more resolve than us. They deserve all the credit for that.

I'd prefer the series we just had to the 2014-15 series where we had 15 centuries scored over the 4 tests with 6 tons in Adeladie.

Every other nation caters pitches to their strengths.

Why don't we?

$$$$$$$?

Is it to accommodate our inept batsmen? It hasn't helped.

How many times does this have to be debunked?

F***en hell.

These pitches ARE to Australia’s strengths.

Bouncy and fast to anyone coming from non-SENA countries, less help to the England and New Zealand quicks who need some movement to be effective.
Australia’s quicks are tall, fast, and get movement and lift from any Australian pitch. Meanwhile Australia’s batsmen are utter f***ing s**t any time the ball moves - so these pitches take away any help visiting bowlers get and make the batsmen earn their runs like they would elsewhere.

It has been shown in tests like the Hobart losses to SA and NZ, the WACA loss to India in a low scoring seam and swing friendly match, when the pitches are overly favourable to fast bowling it’s just as likely to hurt Australia as help them.

Every other nation caters pitches to their strengths.

Why don't we?

$$$$$$$?

Is it to accommodate our inept batsmen? It hasn't helped.

5 days of cricket has the opportunity for 20% additional revenue than 4 days

F***en hell.

Bouncy and fast to anyone coming from non-SENA countries, less help to the England and New Zealand quicks who need some movement to be effective.
Australia’s quicks are tall, fast, and get movement and lift from any Australian pitch. Meanwhile Australia’s batsmen are utter f***ing sh*t any time the ball moves - so these pitches take away any help visiting bowlers get and make the batsmen earn their runs like they would elsewhere.

It has been shown in tests like the Hobart losses to SA and NZ, the WACA loss to India in a low scoring seam and swing friendly match, when the pitches are overly favourable to fast bowling it’s just as likely to hurt Australia as help them.
The Gabba had less grass and moisture left on the pitch this year due to the game being play mid January instead of late November so the curator was worry about enough sun to bake on the pitch but all of the pitch behavour normally like other years except they didn't deteriorate as much this year, CricViz had data that show this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So to would the fourth if games are shorter
Part of the reason that fifth days make a loss is they are almost always on a weekday, which limits both the attendance and TV numbers.

And part of the theory behind four day tests was to run them Thursday through Sunday, which means you are much more likely to get a crowd of the last day. Also, you are more likely to have the game finish on the last day.

F***en hell.

Australia’s quicks are tall, fast, and get movement and lift from any Australian pitch. Meanwhile Australia’s batsmen are utter f***ing sh*t any time the ball moves - so these pitches take away any help visiting bowlers get and make the batsmen earn their runs like they would elsewhere.

But India aren't the bunnies of the short ball they were twenty years ago so what advantage to we get then

What advantage do Australia get from a green seamer?
Actual seam movement from Cummins and Hazlewood

And I didn't say a green seamer, I said a track that aids our best fast bowlers

The SCG and the Gabba were terrible tracks, they didn't deteriorate. The Gabba had visible cracks but they were mostly out of play

The Gabba had less grass and moisture left on the pitch this year due to the game being play mid January instead of late November so the curator was worry about enough sun to bake on the pitch but all of the pitch behavour normally like other years except they didn't deteriorate as much this year, CricViz had data that show this.

I’m not denying it was different. That doesn’t mean it didn’t suit Australia or India for that matter. Just remember how India had to play to get the results they did. Not many if any other teams would be capable of that sort of discipline and I and most other fans probably didn’t think beyond the usual suspects like Rahane and Pujara that they could pull it off either

The Gabba is the best wicket in Australia bar this year which was terrible

And I'm hoping it was only this year because of this

Credit to India, they got the job done, I know that's all you want to hear

That's why Paine told Ashwin, "can't wait to get you up to the Gabba"

Unfortunately for Paine, this was a scuffed Gabba pitch, no seam, no bounce.

You don't chase down 300 on the last day of a Gabba pitch. It's unheard of.

That's why Paine told Ashwin, "can't wait to get you up to the Gabba"

Unfortunately for Paine, this was a scuffed Gabba pitch, no seam, no bounce.

You don't chase down 300 on the last day of a Gabba pitch. It's unheard of.

People would have said that about 400 at the waca. It happened.

At some stage people are going to have to accept that the performances of the 22 players in any given match has a bigger influence on a game than the surface they operate on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back