WTC Final Australia v India Only Test June 7-11 1800hrs @ the Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We could have bowled much better in this match
To be fair, so could have India.

Both teams probably could have batted better too (excepting Smith and Head in the first innings).

There was definitely a bit of rust about. Good to have dealt with that before the Ashes.

We’ve got an opener that should’ve retired, the other opener takes too long to get going, the No. 3 sleeps on the job, the middle order goes alright I suppose, the new boys a bit Green, the keeper lets too many byes through, the left armer is a pie man, the captains got no idea, the spinner could he take any easier wickets and don’t talk to me about VicBias. For a bunch of spuds we did alright. /s

mmm player ratings, always fun for debate/melts

Herald Sun:
Warner 5.5
Khawaja 1
Labuschagne 5.5
Smith 9.5
Head 10
Green 7
Carey 8
Starc 7
Cummins 7
Lyon 9
Boland 9.5

Fox Sports:
Warner 5
Khawaja 3
Labuschagne 6
Smith 9
Head 9
Green 6
Carey 8
Starc 5
Cummins 6
Lyon 8
Boland 9

The Age:
Warner 6
Khawaja 4
Labuschagne 7
Smith 8
Head 9
Green 7
Carey 8
Starc 6
Cummins 7
Lyon 8
Boland 9
Fox Sports would be the closest to my thoughts

Last night was only the 3rd time we had won at the Oval since 72 actually looking at the records
Usually the last test of a 5 / 6 Test Series - rarely the series is live and once upon a time they would have been away from home for 4 months and played a million games and Criss crossed the UK in Coaches, knowing that as soon as the game is over they’re on the next ✈️ home - I reckon Shaun Young actually got a Test one year when they literally ran out of players

Yes, but it's also not often that one partnership is both mre than 50% of that innings and similar in size to the other 3 completed innings.

As I said "it was some excellent batting and meant the result was deserved" so I'm not tryign to take anything away, just pointing out that if it wasn't for that one partnership we'd be discussing this very differently.

We were pretty sloppy with the bat after that partnership though if we are arguing hypothetical you could argue we would have batted differently and more responsibly had we not had that huge partnership as a buffer, maybe not maybe yes but you cant remove something like a 250 run partnership and then assume everything else goes exactly as it did.

People are making a big deal about the margin.

Worth pointing out that there was really only one partnership difference between the 2 teams.

Take out the Smith/Head first innings 285 and there really wasn't much in it as apart from that, it was 4 relatively low scoring innings.

Now don't get me wrong, it was some excellent batting and meant the result was deserved, but a little luck and a couple of wickets could easily have swung the match.
So you are saying that the result of a test match comes down to partnerships….

Jeez, who would have thought that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew Bumrah was out injured but only just looked up that he has had surgery on his back with no real return to cricket timeline in place. Yikers.

I dug up a post from 2019 that I made, funnily enough in a match vs India at the Oval:

India having quicks who can reliably push into the 140's with great control is really what has pushed them into being a dominant force.

Love me some Bumrah - hopefully he doesn't have a flash in the pan career with his unorthodox action.

India fined 100% of their match fee for slow over rates, Australia 80%, Gill fined 15% for his tweet criticising the umpires

I’d be genuinely interested to see what Cricket Australia would do to one of our players if they did that. Let’s remember Bancroft got one game for Sandpapergate (Smith and Warner nothing) from the ICC originally.

Criticising the umpires on Twitter is not on imo. Not suggesting it’s worth as much as Sandpapergate but how he hasn’t been banned for multiple test matches is beyond me.

He’s basically got the same penalty as a guy showing displeasure at a decision in the moment when is complete BS imo.

Like a few have said here: the non selection of Ashwin cost them. The Anti-Aussie cannon that has given our batting order relentless and endless nightmares. and you left him to wander the change rooms and the hotel rooms like an enraged tiger, I could sense how pissed off he was every time he was on camera. That plane ride home will be all kinds of awkward.

Rohit Sharma knew full well what was expected and he and his cohorts fell well short.

As far as us, how good.

Taking a break from the cricket for a minute, this is a great cause and if you could all take a minute to have look it would be most appreciated.

Rohit has a point. Play them outside of England too with each Test playing nation hosting the final consecutively.
I'm sure we could conjure up a system where it's hosted by the top of the table.

The problem with rotating in advance, can you imagine the lack of occasion if it was Australia playing New Zealand in Sri Lanka... You'd be lucky to get 500 people to the game and the concept would struggle to survive.

Playing the final exclusively in England doesn't seem particularly fair though.

Back