Will a player who is not an onballer ever win the Brownlow Medal again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Billy Demon

Senior List
Jun 12, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Will a player who is not an onballer ever win the Brownlow Medal again. Have a look at the list of winners - in the past 30 years winners are skewed towards onballers. Yes, we know that onballers are in the face of umpires and will gain the most attention. And onballers by virtue of their role will gather the most possessions. But does it follow that the Brownlow identifies the best player in the comp or the best onballer in the comp. How sad that every young kid running around playing AFL and is dreaming of one day winning the Brownlow may have no chance if he is not an onballer. Am I being too simplistic?

I see 2 reasons why most Brownlow winners are midfielders. That's where the best players are and these players get more of the ball

Coaches will usually have their best players playing in the midfield, to maximise their opportunities to get more of the ball = more votes. It is a bit unusual to leave your best player at one end of the ground and limit their opportunities.
Sure there are some great players who predominately play forwards or back, but can you say that on most weeks, they were one of the best 3 payers on the ground?

There are some exceptions, but generally the best players are in the midfield.

I reckon it will happen eventually. I don't see forwards winning it anytime soon as it is too dependent on supply. They also barely ever attract votes, even huge games with 6+ goals often fail to score 3 votes.

The positions I think are most likely:
1) Ruck - eventually there will be a ruck dominant enough to win. Though they may play a bit like an extra onballer so that may defeat the purpose of the thread.
2) Half back flanker - Think your Wanganeen Mcleod type superstars that can do it all down back and are flashy and noticeable whilst doing it.

I'd still expect 9/10 brownlows over the next 2 decades to go to onballers though and that might even be conservative.

I see 2 reasons why most Brownlow winners are midfielders. That's where the best players are and these players get more of the ball

Coaches will usually have their best players playing in the midfield, to maximise their opportunities to get more of the ball = more votes. It is a bit unusual to leave your best player at one end of the ground and limit their opportunities.
Sure there are some great players who predominately play forwards or back, but can you say that on most weeks, they were one of the best 3 payers on the ground?

There are some exceptions, but generally the best players are in the midfield.
I don’t think that’s the case at all. For the Eagles, our best players over the past year have been Nic Nat, JK or McGovern. Buddy was his team’s best player for years. There are plenty of great players in teams not getting votes.

good example is Fyfe who could play CHF but he is too valuable to waste down there if we are getting flogged.

You ain't getting any votes as a forward if you don't kick 7+. If a player kicked 7 plus in 10 games across the year he'd kick 120+

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is also a class of onballers who seem unlikely to win it - ruckmen. Mind you, in Gawn and Grundy, we have the best duo of ruckman to play in the the AFL/VFL since Farmer and Nicholls (neither of whom won a Brownlow). Still not confident of one of those current players winning one though. I would love to be proven wrong though.

I saw a predictor of the Brownlow votes the other day (on someone's phone, so I don't know where it was originally published), in which Gawn was shown to have accumulated 20 votes so far, but he was still four or five votes off the pace.

There is also a class of onballers who seem unlikely to win it - ruckmen. Mind you, in Gawn and Grundy, we have the best duo of ruckman to play in the the AFL/VFL since Farmer and Nicholls (neither of whom won a Brownlow). Still not confident of one of those current players winning one though. I would love to be proven wrong though.
??
We had a duo of ruckman win the Brownlow in the 90s - Stynes and Wynd

Rucks actually have a great record of winning as they too follow the ball all over the ground.

The funny thing being that it has always predominately been a followers award, as the best players are usually placed where the ball is - Dick Reynolds, Skilton, Stewart, Bunton Snr - the blokes who won it three times in the 30s and 50s/60s were all midfielders.

It ain’t really that surprising, go through each team and the best players will be the followers more often than not. Coaches association votes top20 at the moment are all mids with Gawn n Grundy.

So it's fair to say that since the implementation of 3 umpires, midfielders are getting a free ride.

I saw a predictor of the Brownlow votes the other day (on someone's phone, so I don't know where it was originally published), in which Gawn was shown to have accumulated 20 votes so far, but he was still four or five votes off the pace.

Graham Moss says hello.

People criticise the Brownlow for being midfield centric, but the coaches votes are the same. Out of the top 10, 9 are midfielders, with the other being a ruck. Forwards and defenders are talented, but ultimately they depend on the midfield. Forward obviously relies on them to get the ball, while if a midfield is terrible at pressure, it makes defense so much harder. For example, McGovern is a great player, but if the opposition midfield is massively on top and allow pressure free passes into their 50, McGovern can’t do s**t.

I could see a Wanganeen type defender winning it. But it’s doubtful a forward will, especially in this day and age. The closest you get is someone like Danger or Fyfe who spends a reasonable amount of time in the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back