Analysis Worst All-Australian selection of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody said he was a mediocre player, one poster said he was a 'good' player, the same poster who ran down Cotchin's achievement of winner 3 B&F's and a Brownlow. Sounds like a fairly balanced poster wouldn't you say. He has a different opinion of what makes a great player. Neale's 51 possessions against Richmond got him only 8 coaches votes but got all the press and the Brownlow votes.

Darren Glass AA Captain in 2012 was a poor selection. Played as a solid third tall, wasn't a rebounder or intercepter. Got it purely as a lifetime achievement award.

Jeremy Cameron over Lance Franklin in 2013 was a joke, too. Selectors got sucked in because Cameron was young. Opposite effect to the Glass selection with hype for a very good young player and Franklin down on his outstanding 2011/12 seasons.

Lucas kicked more goals, in a rubbish team, than Mooney, who was being served on a silver platter every week. In rd 22 Lucas kicked 7 in the second half against the Eagles to try and get Essendon home in Sheedy's and Hird's last game. Just one game but indicative of his form that year. Mooney did nothing special but play in a great team.

A game where he kicked 7 in half the game was indicative of his form that year? Was unlucky not to kick 150 then what happened?

A game where he kicked 7 in half the game was indicative of his form that year? Was unlucky not to kick 150 then what happened?

images.jpeg-17.jpg

Nobody said he was a mediocre player, one poster said he was a 'good' player, the same poster who ran down Cotchin's achievement of winner 3 B&F's and a Brownlow. Sounds like a fairly balanced poster wouldn't you say. He has a different opinion of what makes a great player. Neale's 51 possessions against Richmond got him only 8 coaches votes but got all the press and the Brownlow votes.

Macrae's a very good player. If one was to critique his 2019 AA selection, some players (notably Martin) missed out with the explanation that they were slow starters or tailed off. Macrae polled 12 coaches' votes in the first half of the season and 63 in the second half. Only Nick Riewoldt's 8/65 split in 2008 was more bipolar.

Darren Glass AA Captain in 2012 was a poor selection. Played as a solid third tall, wasn't a rebounder or intercepter. Got it purely as a lifetime achievement award.

Jeremy Cameron over Lance Franklin in 2013 was a joke, too. Selectors got sucked in because Cameron was young. Opposite effect to the Glass selection with hype for a very good young player and Franklin down on his outstanding 2011/12 seasons.
Darren Glass took the best forward every week and won more often than not

I thought Dusty was lucky to even make the squad of 40 last year but then he got thrown into the forward line in the actual 22. Seemed to be a classic case of being selected on reputation, much like the Selwood nod others have mentioned.

Of course he then went on to win his third Norm Smith and next minute he is in discussions as being one of the greatest players of all time.

Come at me Richmond fans.

Could make the same argument about Matthew Scarlett. 6 time AA between 2003 and 2011. By the latter stages of his career Geelong had Lonergan at FB and Taylor at CHB. Scarlett was a still a great player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Dusty was lucky to even make the squad of 40 last year but then he got thrown into the forward line in the actual 22. Seemed to be a classic case of being selected on reputation, much like the Selwood nod others have mentioned.

Of course he then went on to win his third Norm Smith and next minute he is in discussions as being one of the greatest players of all time.

Come at me Richmond fans.

Id say most would agree with this.

Guthrie and Macrae were put in spots theyve never played at the expense of Wings who deserved it.

Danger and Dusty were put in as forwards despite kicking half or even a third the goals of others.

The AA continue to pick 12 or 13 midfielders and then put thrm where they want, then fill out the rest.

People seem to get worked up over it. Its always been morons making dumb choices and always will. Its no different to Sheehan and Robbo picking top 50.

The only decent list each year is Mofra and his 50.

Last edited:
Out of all the threads that have been posted for the Big Footy main board, which one stands out to you as the worst?

Selections like ‘Worst All-Australian selection of all time’ 2021, ‘Carlton - were are they now’ 2004 - 2021, ‘North Melbourne should relocate’ 1998 - 2021, ‘Its time to end the Northern experiment’ 2009, and ‘Umpires robbed us of the game’ 1907 - 2021 come to mind.

For me, it's this thread in 2021. There is a OP who had absolutely no business being anywhere near Main Board. Probably stays on the front page of the main board because he is a basement dwelling neck beard monitoring his BF account for red ‘alert’ notifications he can respond to and keep this thread on the front page of the main board.

Just a disclaimer: this is not a troll post. This is a post to scrutinise past low value threads.
We dont need to adjudicate the threads because they are all subjective.
I like and read most of the posts regardless of the "quality" of the post. I have been home injured for along time and Big Footy stops me from getting cabin fever. Commercial TV and Radio are both fooked so having a bit of fun with Big Footy is a good release for me.

Of all the problems with the 2009 team that is a strange position to take. Bolton was outstanding that year.

Dane Swan over LeCras is where you should be looking.
Was he though? He didn't crack the top 10 in the best and fairest of a club that finished 12th. That is a pretty low bar and this thread is about the worst selections in a given year, not the biggest snubs. From my memory at the time it was a pretty out of the blue selection.

Also whilst Swan wasn't a half forward he did deserve an AA guernsey that year. Leon Davis over LeCras is probably a bigger issue.

Chip, chip, chip Macrae. There are blokes who don’t influence games of football, and Macrae is one of them. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good player, but the Dogs are just as much chance of winning whether he gets 25 or 40 touches, it makes no difference. It’s like Cotchin of 2011-2016.... chip chip sideways stuff. It got Cotchin 3 x B&F’s, an AA and a Brownlow .... and Richmond went nowhere. Selectors need to focus more on who is influencing games and helping their team gain top-4, not who is racking up 40 chippity, chip chip chip possessions every week.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lol, this is as bad a take as saying Edwards is an unnoticeable footballer.

He wins the ball inside. He has the spread and endurance to get the ball on the outside. He has good disposal. He is routinely a top 20 player in the comp for score involvements. He's had a top 6 finish for goal assists (2019).

Just because a mid racks up the ball doesn't mean they are hindering the side.

Of all the problems with the 2009 team that is a strange position to take. Bolton was outstanding that year.

I promise you, he wasn't.

Genuinely cooked by the second half of that year, basically got selected on the back of one excellent game in round 2 when he smashed the entire Hawthorn forward line when we all thought they were still good.
People stopped paying attention to Sydney and just assumed he was having a season the standard of 2005-2008 (05 and 06 particularly he should have been AA). He ended up being a classic narrative selection because he didn't get huge numbers and didn't play in Melbourne. The "average" footy fan didn't see his value, but the "experts" did.
Basically everything that was true of him from 2005-2008 was again assumed correct in 2009, and because his numbers were similar, nobody questioned it.

Came 13th in the B&F in a side that finished 12th, behind 4 other defenders (including Heath Grundy in his first full season as a key defender). Most players who get their lifetime achievement AA selection actually do have very good seasons, Craig Bolton is the only exception I can find.

I don't begrudge him on it though, genuinely feel he should have been picked in 05 and certainly 06 ahead of Joel Bowden.

It is a tie between Naitanui & Darren Glass in 2012 for the worst of all time for mine. Was someone from the Eagles on the selection panel or something? Just awful choices.

Sam Jacobs was the best ruck in 2012 and deserved the AA spot, with Ivan Maric next best for mine. Naitanui wasn't near it.
Eric Mackenzie was doing all the heavy lifting for the Eagles in 2012, while Glass took a lesser opponent and never did anything remarkable with the ball. Perplexing choice to not only select him, but give him the captaincy.

Shane Edwards in 2018 was also a terrible choice - even I can admit that.

It is a tie between Naitanui & Darren Glass in 2012 for the worst of all time for mine. Was someone from the Eagles on the selection panel or something? Just awful choices.

Sam Jacobs was the best ruck in 2012 and deserved the AA spot, with Ivan Maric next best for mine. Naitanui wasn't near it.
Eric Mackenzie was doing all the heavy lifting for the Eagles in 2012, while Glass took a lesser opponent and never did anything remarkable with the ball. Perplexing choice to not only select him, but give him the captaincy.

Shane Edwards in 2018 was also a terrible choice - even I can admit that.

The irony given Richo and KB were on the committee for years and some questionable Tigers players got in before they were good.

On Naitanui, congrats you are now the latest I can pose this to, no one is yet to successfully counter it

Of the 4 in the squad (Naitanui, Cox, Jacobs, Maric), Naitanui was ranked as the number 1 by
-The AA committee (starting ruck)
-Had the most coaches votes
-Had the most Brownlow votes
-Was rated by Champion data as the top ranked of the 4

So if it was such a terrible choice and nowhere near it, why was he ranked the best of the 4 candidates in 4 separate metrics from people within the footy industry?

Glass had a great 2012, albeit similar to the Rance/Scarlett role of not always taking the best forward in the twilight of their careers.

Darren Glass took the best forward every week and won more often than not
So did Zac Dawson lol.
Pav over Tredrea in 2005 was a poor decision

Pav Kicked 61 goals and 25 behinds that season.

Tredders kicked 65 goals and 45 behinds as well.

you might have a point

The freo theoery vs the rest. If you are a decent player at freo, you wont get All Australian. you play for any other club you are likely to get it, especially if you play for a Big Victorian club.

Paul Medhurst kicked 50 goals for freo in 2003, helps freo get into an elim final. Doesnt even get a look in the AA team. Should of taken Riccuitos spot on a forward flank or at worst got on the bench.

Kicks 50 goals for Collingwood in 2008 and gets collingwood to a prelim, gets in the AA team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back