Autopsy **** yeah! Pies beat Weagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Must admit coaching from my seat when Kennedy was kicking goals thought we may have to put Reid back, then Moore goes down.
Didn't really expect Reid to ruck either but I suppose we didn't have much choice.
One thing I did like was when Moore was in the ruck, Grundy went forward.
Haven't changed my opinion that once on the field, players win games, not coaches.

Old saying.. a leopard never changes its spots. He struggles with home and away games.. I can't imagine him winning 3 or 4 consecutive finals to win us a premiership.. his eraticism will cost us yrs in finals as well. So one thing making finals.. another thing is having the nouse to win em.. you're looking at at least another 5 yrs under him before we even get remotely near the cup.. that's at least 5 yrs and beyond. F that is what I say.

He makes some strange decisions and selections at times from the outside looking in at least.

Football would die without rumours.

I think you'll find his spot has always been earmarked in the middle.

But like so much in life, you have to go and earn it.

Attitude? I'm understanding it's gone up in spades (Jeremy Howe not a little bit influential, as others have been as well.)

That came from someone who has gotten plenty of his rumours right and known to be connected in that scene. Degoey was shopped. But you don't have to believe it if you don't want too.

Must admit coaching from my seat when Kennedy was kicking goals thought we may have to put Reid back, then Moore goes down.
Didn't really expect Reid to ruck either but I suppose we didn't have much choice.
Haven't changed my opinion that once on the field, players win games, not coaches.

I was surprised we didn't have Dunn on Kennedy from the start. Goldsack is better higher up the ground and Dunn is good one-on-one. Goldsack had a dirty day on both Kennedy and Darling. I reckon he gave up half the goals we conceded. I'll forgive him though, he's been awesome so far this year.

we all want Degoey in the middle but today he played forward and won the game. who would've thought.

Played well in the middle in the 1st quarter which we had control for a large period of it. Rested forward and was with Reid our best option.

His best game is as a midfielder who goes forward for stints. He goes cold when played purely as a fwd over a full game.

I was surprised we didn't have Dunn on Kennedy from the start. Goldsack is better higher up the ground and Dunn is good one-on-one. Goldsack had a dirty day on both Kennedy and Darling. I reckon he gave up half the goals we conceded. I'll forgive him though, he's been awesome so far this year.

He didn't get a lot of help. Most of the goals were marks on the lead into open space. Disappointing no one could get back to help.

What an incredible day of footy for Collingwood! Wins in the VFL & AFL against quality opposition (Richmond & West Coast), has the club finding renewed belief and confidence to win from any position, regardless of personnel at our disposal. The Magpies were forced to go with a smaller forward line after Darcy Moore sustained an injury to his neck, paving the way for Jordan De Goey who became a hybrid key-forward and converted 4 second-half goals, had 20 disposals & 8 score involvements. He was my best player for the Magpies, alongside Crisp (33 disposals) Grundy (19 possessions, 42 hit-outs & 8 score involvements) & Treloar (35 disposals, 12 contested possessions & 6 clearances). Honourable mentions to Adams (26 touches, 11 contested possessions, 7 clearances & a goal), Howe (26 possessions & 9 marks), Hoskin-Elliott (24 touches & 1 goal), Wells (16 touches & 7 marks) & Elliott (3 goals). Ben Reid was solid with 2 goals, while Alex Fasolo had a brilliant cameo in the final term with game-winning tackle before icing the game with the only goal he kicked for the day, arguably the most important. Josh Kennedy for the Eagles booted six goals in a losing side, who dominated the majority of the game without Sam Mitchell, and would be absolutely filthy with their capitulation in the 4th term. For the Magpies, this win was special on so many levels. Won without Pendlebury, Sidebottom was good as acting-captain without being great. Lost two rotations involving Moore & Varcoe, the latter suffering a heavy landing on his head. That's why De Goey gets all of the plaudits for playing as a key forward in the manner he did after Half Time. Then there's the fightback in totality. 3 goals down at Three Quarter Time, the desire and will from the players overturned that deficit into a victory by 8 points, having won the final term by 26 points. They're the main points raised from today's win. A step-up in class against Adelaide at the MCG on July 30 awaits us. Let's enjoy this win until then.

Last edited:

Then why have coaches, Coaching During games when they make NO Difference?

Wish they put Grundy Forward More

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last fifteen minutes of the match was excellent. We took the game on, played down the middle and were weren't willing to play sideways football the way we've become accustomed to. It was fantastic to watch.

De Goey is a star in the making! He took the game by the scruff of the neck and stood up when we needed someone to stand up and make a statement especially in light of the absence of our captain and the injuries to Moore and Varcoe. The fact that we were two players short on the bench makes this victory extraordinary.

We struggled for large parts of the game and we're not an atheistically pleasing side to watch the majority of the time. Our efficiency heading into forward 50 was poor, barring the last fifteen minutes where we started gaining reward for effort.

If we played fast direct footy rather than sideways footy which often causes turnovers from our poor disposal of the ball, I don't think this side would be as frustrating to watch.

The crowd number was disappointing overall, but I'm certain a combination of factors contributed to that overall number such as form, scheduling and location with the match being played at Etihad as opposed to the MCG. It is well known that much of our supporter base dislikes Etihad Stadium. However, in saying that, the crowd was loud in the end so that was great to see and it's always rewarding attending these matches after seeing many losing ones live in recent times.

I don't think my view on Bucks has changed too much as it did from the start of the year. I'd just like to see the season play out for the next five weeks, and then hopefully the club can make an informed and sensible decision on what to do next, which should coincide on what the club review says as well.

As it stands, I still remain undecided on his future, but I personally lean toward moving him on, but I'm unsure of what the club wants him to achieve from now until the end of the year so it's all relative. He needs two more wins to level what we achieved last year, but will that be enough to keep him on?

Bucks' supporters will get ahead of themselves now, but I don't think too much changes today. The comforting thing about this win is that the media won't be writing negative stories about us this week and the heat will be off us for at least a week. It's also nice to know that despite the ugly nature of our game style that it appears the players are behind the coach if their playing actions in the last 15 minutes are anything to go by.

Looking forward to the challenge of taking on Adelaide next week. I don't expect us to win, but certainly today give us a little bit more confidence now.

Firstly. How bad is the channel 7 coverage of footy when you compare it to fox footy. The camera angles, the delayed replays whilst the actual game is running. Ugghhh!!!

Anyway, good win and all but it was a disgusting performance for mine. I'm not sure what it is, but I feel as though our list is just made up of a lot of dumb players, wrong decisions are forever being made, here are just a few:
- Josh Smith kicking in board from the HBF with a high kick and setting up WCE for a run in goal
- Maynard and Howe in a two on one both bumping the opposition and then neither going for the ball
- Maynards 75m set shot...
- Every second player standing 5-10m away from the man on the mark, effectively in no mans land, allowing an opposition free player to run into space for the easy overlap pass.

We need some respected senior players to come into the club next year to help with this. We don't have many seasoned veterans and those that we do have, don't seem to be the type that will pull a young guy aside and have a stern chat about what they did wrong and how they can improve on it next time.

It's near impossible but a player like Hodge on a one year deal would be massive for us. It's not about what he could do on the field, it's how he can coach whilst playing and start putting good habits into our players. I'm not sure who else is out there come seasons end, but players like McVeigh (Syd) Goddard (ESS) and even Shaw (GWS) would be great for us, we need some structure and leadership
Bit harsh mate.
Besides that one error Josh Smith was probably BOG today.

I currently cannot hear out of my left ear - the shriek that my son let out 1mm from my ear on the siren has seriously done some damage but I am prepared to forgive because the hoodoo is finally over. After taking him to 18 games over the last two seasons we finally have our first win. I am starting to appreciate what my St Kilda supporting cousins went through in the 80's. And to think my missus tried to convince me to leave half way through the last.

Twas a weird feeling after that game..........having watched the boys in front of the smallest crowd I've seen live the train was packed full of subdued but happy supporters. I still need to watch the replay as I missed the 2nd and 3rd quarters due to being involved with the half time Auskick grid games but much of what I saw was the same horrific ball mangling and laser like intensity on high risk/no reward set ups that have been driving me mad all year. Reading the reviews of others indicates that Crispy had a good one but that 15m kick straight to the opposition in the first.......geez. If you're going to risk that sort of thing at least gain some ground. Like many of the guys I love the way they go about it and truly want them to succeed but when you struggle to kick 20m on your good side and have zero on your non-preferred (highly predictable running patterns) it gives you a sometimes amazing but super frustrating package. We have so many of them.

Anyway.......I'm rapt for the guys and the supporters but I feel weirdly calm about it all. Next on the order list is a winning game where I walk away feeling like we played quality football. If we can just get some of our guys to suss out the options like Wellsy does. Sure he gave the odd hospital handpass but for the most part he has all the odds done in his head before he even takes possession. I feel like we have the skeleton there of something good - DeGoey, Elliott, Faz (if he keeps it up) , Treloar (willed us over the line) etc.............just need to find that elusive meat on the bones (polish).

Unpopular opinion but Langdon was immense in the last 15 minutes

and Jordan De Goey ******* TAKE A BOW SON!

Back on track, building again from the Bumbers game. Hopefully the trend continues.

I feel a little dirty as we kinda robbed them blind - that was a shocking free kick to Reid at the end there to seal it - but on the flip side we cop our fair share of poor decisions (or non-decisions) I guess so I'll take the win!!!

I think this should sort out any remaining De Goey doubters are now though - I've always rated him as a bull with great skills and was happy when we drafted him.

The time he has spent up forward has set him up for performances like this when we need someone to step up when we're struggling to score.

The one vexing aspect still is losing focus and letting the opposition kick goals late in the quarter - eliminate that one issue and we are automatically a 2-4 goal better side defensively (which in turn would have likely won us 2-3 more games at least).

The boys are still teasing us with the glimpses that we've been showing all season which is frustrating - whoever takes the reins next year will likely discover that they have a bit more to work with than most pundits think.

Yep, the Reid free was dodgy but compensation for the Reid mark not paid, the Faz taken high free not paid, and the Darling 50m penalty in the last. Swings and roundabouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back