Your 5 least favourite footy personalities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay big brother my votes go as

3 votes BT - Boy Oh Boy - where is the dukes Richo, He has got to use the dukes.
2 votes D.Cometti - Superstar
2 votes B.Mcavaney - Say what you want, but he is a great voice over the footy
1 vote C.Ling - Superstar

Dislike

3 votes A.Demetriou - Well, enough said just in his name
2 votes Caro Wilson - Stupid B****
1 vote Luke Darcy - One of the most biased commentators going but does say his mind < That i like

That is all

Most of the the football journalists with nicknames, 'Ralphy', 'Stevo', 'Robbo'. They've crosses the line from journalist into media personality, no wonder the standard of their writing is mediocre.

Least Favourite
1. Robert Walls has offered moronic analysis and a deficit of insight for as long as I can remember.
2. Sam Newman is a horrible, reactionary misogynist.
3. James Hird - long term suspicions about narcissistic personality disorder now confirmed.
4. Brian Taylor is an absolute disgrace.
5. Luke Darcy - terrible commentator, eyes too close together.
I've also always disliked Alan Didak for some reason...

Favourite
1. Rohan Conolly - look up objective in the dictionary etc., obviously loves the game, is fair and is insightful.
2. David Parkin - good analysis, often insightful.
3. Bob Murphy goes a bit far with the "I'm a sensitive bloke who might even read books" kind of thing, but he represents a far, far better side of footy culture than most of the brain-dead meat-heads in the mainstream media.
4. Emma Quayle - obvious reasons.
5. Drew Petrie- obviously I'm biased, but just an all-round good bloke I reckon.

I think Walls is an interesting one. I don't really rate his work as a special comments man during the games, but I think he's an exceptional panelist and an interview subject (see his Open Mic interview and his 'reminisces' segment on SEN). I always enjoyed him on the Monday night 'On the Couch' style panel shows.

Like : Cometti, Matthews, Sam Lane, Ling, Gossage, Smokey Dawson

Not Like : McAvaney, Newman, Brayshaw, Crawford, BT, Hackdorn

Need less of:

1. Brian Taylor - seriously, spend less time screaming and more time finding out who the players you're watching are and what they can do. Leads all comers in mistakes per minute.
2. Luke Darcy - his analysis is nothing short of deplorable. Trying hard and failing, badly.
3. Tony Shaw - A grade moron. Seriously, people this inarticulate and stupid have no place telling me anything.
4. Gerard Healy - is he routinely drunk on the couch? Loses focus mid-sentence, stumbles over words, and generally does not seem to have followed the game since about 2003.
5. Robert Walls - despite being a Carlton legend, cannot get him to France fast enough. Can't let a major Carlton game go by without pumping us up in the media and directly causing us to fail. Does not understand any statistical measure presented during coverage nor how to interpret it.

Need more of:

1. Dermie - OK, he carries on like a porkchop, but he knows football. Like really gets it. And loves it.
2. James Brayshaw - I like his shtick, and think he's funny. Can get excited about anything.
3. Dennis Commetti - he's a pro.
4. Cameron Ling - how can you not like Lingy? Tries hard, could be really good in the media or coaching.
5. David King - I really like that someone is trying to take statistical/gameplan analysis really seriously and explain it to us all.

Encouragement awards:

1. Patrick Dangerfield - I'm in love with the player, I'm in love with the man. Simply awesome with a microphone in front of him.
2. Matthew Lloyd - someone I loved hating throughout his playing career, but he's actually really trying as an analyst. The more he can lose his Essendon-bias, the better.
3. Mark Ricciuto - a tough bloke so blokey you just know he has a steak and beer for breakfast whilst driving an 18-wheeler. But he seems a good bloke, and he has a resume to rival anyones. I like him.

Worst:
5. Tom Harley - has become insufferable commentator.
4. Basil - can't commentate
3. Luke Darcy - tries so damn hard and not in an endering way
2. Hamish McLachlan - only commentator i have to mute when watching footy
1. Spike Mcveigh. - flog, spud, etc.
(all ch7, what a coincidence! :eek:)

Best:
5. Wheatley - insightful, nice to see someone that is clearly not part of the usual boys club
4. Richo - the only person on ch 7 i can stand.
3. Caro - pioneer, sticks to her guns, which should be commended, not condemned
2. Lyon - can listen to him more than anyone else. seems genuine.
1. Huddo - best caller in the business, no exceptions.

Dislikes:
1. Gerrard Whately - easily the personality I dislike the most. A limited talent who has overachieved massively to get where he is yet thinks he is some kind of artist. His writing style really pisses me off - the guy thinks he's Le Carre and he's just not. Also the whole black caviar hero worship was really cringe worthy acting as if he had some kind of right to the horse that nobody else did. Massive bandwagon jumper as well who has very little knowledge of the game. I much prefer Robbo who is much more humble in the way he approaches his commentary on AFL. A of people seem to like him though so I guess I'm in the minority on this one.
2. Jeff Kennett
3. Mitch Robinson
4. Gunston
5. McAveney

Like:
1. Dennis Armfield
2. Alan Didak
3. Richo
4. Eddie Mcguire
5. Shintaro

Worst:
5. Tom Harley - has become insufferable commentator.

Relates everything to Geelong. Everything. Q: "What's wrong with Carlton?" A: "At Geelong, we....blahblah".

It's all he's got! That, Swisse Vitamins and a nose that points at Camera 1 whilst he's talking to Camera 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dislikes:
1. Gerrard Whately - easily the personality I dislike the most. A limited talent who has overachieved massively to get where he is yet thinks he is some kind of artist. His writing style really pisses me off - the guy thinks he's Le Carre and he's just not. Also the whole black caviar hero worship was really cringe worthy acting as if he had some kind of right to the horse that nobody else did. Massive bandwagon jumper as well who has very little knowledge of the game. I much prefer Robbo who is much more humble in the way he approaches his commentary on AFL. A of people seem to like him though so I guess I'm in the minority on this one.
2. Jeff Kennett
3. Mitch Robinson
4. Gunston
5. McAveney

Like:
1. Dennis Armfield
2. Alan Didak
3. Richo
4. Eddie Mcguire
5. Shintaro

Sometimes I wonder whether he's trying to write a newspaper article or a novel.

really dislike Wayne Carey and Robert Walls. On the other hand Neroli Meadows and Martin Flanagan are awesome :thumbsu:

Anyone that talks about anything but the game ,i hate that while the game is in progress......most of them do it .

I like to listen to the players when the game isnt in progress that way you learn what they do on the field re tactics etc and i know for a fact many clubs monitor what is said by the guest players to find out info.
Notice Lingy and others asking more in depth questions ( which he is allowed to ) and the players fall for that line of questioning ... :cool:

Relates everything to Geelong. Everything. Q: "What's wrong with Carlton?" A: "At Geelong, we....blahblah".

It's all he's got! That, Swisse Vitamins and a nose that points at Camera 1 whilst he's talking to Camera 2.
Doesn't he also praise the vitamins for helping him remember all the rules?!

Favourite: Anthony Hudson, excellent commentator.
Basil Zempilas, amuses me to listen to him.
Least Favourite: Brian Taylor, not only is a massive twat with the big boy s**t, he also does stuff like calls Mzungu 'Mzunguy'
Sam Newman, listening to him talk about the Essendon saga was embarrassing.

"As you'll see, a player like Hodge, reads the ball just soooo brilliantly in the air, he loses his man so often. He will mark over his head and stand directly under the ball, so much to the point his nose is in a direct line with the point of the ball in the air, that's how well he reads it. Then after marking you'll just notice he slightly turrrrns his body to the fat side of the ground, straightens his body and puts full momentum towards that fat side whilst running. He will then kick a beautiful drop punt out in front of a spreading player. Just brilliant by Hodge and he is the general back there and they all know it". - Dermott Brereton.

He makes s**t sound so complicated as if he's on another level with knowledge. What you mean Dermie is "Hodge was playing loose man and took a mark then switched it".

Groan

Huddo - Terrible seems to think he is above the other blokes around him bit full of himself.
Robbo - Soon as he started pratting on about brown having a duty of care to McPharlin he lost me and he makes little comments about himself being in such a high position seeing the game and commentating. He really believes he is elite but is no better than an drunk expert in a pub.
Leigh Matthews - Far too much of a voice. The other commentators treat him like a god and he ends up being very influential in rule changes or his thoughts on changes for the game. Just awful.
Dunstall - Pig headed subtle Vic bias and uses his position to advance Hawthorn complaints about teams and the way they get umpire advantage.
Dewayne - he was half held or almost a free kick.

Blighty
Tom Harley
Ling
Commetti / McAvaney Combo
Danny Frawley

Worst
1. Hamish McLachlan - an incredible self-indulgent dingbat.
2. Brian Taylor - hate all his 'big boy (insert player x who is somewhat big)' , 'footy factory x' etc. Doesn't he get tires of using the same clichés? Used to be quite good actually.
3. Tom Harley - just seem to talking gibberish a tad too much
4. Damian Barrett - has too much smirkishness about him
5. Leigh Matthews - but only when Hawthorn play Geelong.

Best
1. Anthony Hudson - the best commentator in the business by a fair margin
2. Dennis Cometti - even though his best callings are past him, he is still great5. Tim Watson - seems
3. Gerald Whately - he is somewhat very different, which makes him very good imo.
like such a nice man, and can really get his interviewees going
4. Cameron Ling - as above, only a slightly bit better.
5. Tim Watson - seems like such a nice man, and can really get his interviewees going

Is Basil a personality? Terrible commentator, that's for sure. When he commentates North, it seems that Ben Cunnington is a back pocket, Daniel Wells and Lindsay Thomas are one and the same, Lachie Henderson now wears the royal blue and white, and North finally got David Swallow down to the club...

No doubt there are about a dozen specific media people in this thread getting routinely named, so I thought I better put some positive spin in here.
Shane Crawford is one of the better footy personalities in a while.
He's actually quite intelligent. He plays the fool, but I get the feeling he knows exactly what he is doing, and just does not want to take himself too seriously. Happy to have some fun and not get caught up in the "sack the coach!" etc type media roles.
Also obviously does some great charity work.

Hope Crawf keeps it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back