Your Official 2017 Eastern Conference Playoff Thread, Semi Finals - who will represent?

Which of the following is least likely to happen?

• Cleveland NOT making it through the East

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Marcus Smart choosing not to exaggerate contact

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Markieff Morris acting in a calm, restrained and above all dignified manner

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • DeMarre Carroll letting his hair hang out a la Rick James

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raptors fans dominating this thread

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Celtic fans NOT dominating this thread (unless they're losing)

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
celtics-wizzarss-NBA-betting-march20.jpg

Head to head - series tied 2-2

9/11/16: Celtics 93 @ Wizards 118
11/1/17: Wizards 108 @ Celtics 117
24/1/17: Celtics 108 @ Wizards 123
20/3/17: Wizards 102 @ Celtics 110

What you need to know

These two teams do not like each other. At all.

Last year Brad Beal suffered a concussion at Marcus Smart's hands. It's fair to say the pair still don't like each other:

In the off-season the two teams chased marquee free agent Al Horford pretty hard. Here was Jae Crowder's personal pitch to Horford:

"He's a perfect fit," Crowder said. "That's what we were telling him. He had Washington and some other teams looking at him, but we beat them four times this year. You don't want to go there."

If you cast your minds back to early January, some stuff went down in the waning minutes in Boston:

The Wizards chose a unique way to express their disdain for the men in green in their next encounter:

Isaiah Thomas for his part had his own thoughts on that fashion statement:

OK that's great, but give me basketball stuff

The good news is that this promises to be about as evenly matched a playoff series as you're going to find.

The two teams rank 8th and 9th respectively by SRS, so it would be misleading to think of it as a typical 1st vs 4th seed matchup. And yes, they split the season series in a very entertaining manner.

Key areas:

Rebounding - Washington is not the greatest rebounding team in the world and don't possess any players as physically imposing as Robin Lopez, however Marcin Gortat and Otto Porter are pretty proficient on the offensive boards - you can bet your bottom dollar that this is an area that they will look to exploit

Perimeter defence - the Celtics are the second stingiest in the league when it comes to guarding the three point shot, while Washington rank 8th in three point accuracy.

Washington's chances in this series will hinge on whether they're able to knock down those outside shots - doing so opens up lanes for John Wall to exploit, particularly if he's guarded by Isaiah Thomas.

Bench bunch -
Atlanta doesn't have the scariest bench in the world, yet they consistently outpointed Washington's ragtag bunch. On the other side of the coin it took the Celtics a surprisingly long time to come to grips with the likes of Bobby Portis and Paul Zipser.

The Wizards can't win the series here, but they will be hoping they don't lose it here though.

The big question:

Who does Brad Stevens allocate Isaiah Thomas to defensively?

It'll be interesting to see what the Celtics do with Thomas, because they can't hide him on Beal - that leaves Otto Porter, but as previously noted Porter loves to crash the offensive glass.

It's worth noting that the Wizards broke 100 points in all four encounters against the Celts this season.

Prediction:

This could well go 7 games, which we'd all enjoy after a decidedly vanilla first round.

I also predict a refereeing conspiracy at some point ft. Tommy Heinsohn, Jason Smith to flatten Kelly Olynyk on multiple occasions and a return of the ever popular "Harden vs Westbrook" debate.

I'm excited about this one. I only hope they play this before Game 3 in Washington;

Wizards miss Rondo

They actually miss Kieff.

Kills two birds with one stone, exposes Washington's so-called depth and gives the Celtics someone (Oubre) to hide Isaiah on defensively.

Good on Boston for taking advantage, but man they've been kissed on the dick so far these playoffs.

I hope you stayed awake for the NLD my friend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kills two birds with one stone, exposes Washington's so-called depth and gives the Celtics someone (Oubre) to hide Isaiah on defensively.

Good on Boston for taking advantage, but man they've been kissed on the dick so far these playoffs.

The game was tied when he went out and the Celtics had the momentum. Obviously it hurts them going forward if he's out but I'm not ready to hear how Markieff Morris is the reason a team might lose a series.

The game was tied when he went out and the Celtics had the momentum. Obviously it hurts them going forward if he's out but I'm not ready to hear how Markieff Morris is the reason a team might lose a series.

Yeah but it was your bench that made up the initial deficit, not the starters.

It's important because it takes away Washington's ability to dictate match-ups. You can do what you do best now and play small without any fear of recrimination in the paint.

Kieff is not the best or second best... hell, not even their third best... player, but his potential absence in this series is a big deal. Changes the dynamic completely.

If they'd kept Nene it would be a different story

Can't go small without Kieff

Hurts when Gortat can get exposed on the 1-5 pnr. Can't hedge off Horford, can't switch, can't sag and can't recover. Then offensively he tends to take the midrange shot, and when you only have the one true 'big' on floor, it takes away their only real rebounder of size

I did not

What a turnaround. Just wow. Boston are a well drilled, disciplined team. Full credit to young Stevens.
But my god the shots that were going in were ridiculous. Won't expect that every game. Just hope Kieff is okay and can play some part this series

Back