Your starting 22 in 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2009
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys Chicago Bulls
How would you like to see the team line up Round 1, 2012.

B: O'Brien - N.Brown - Tarrant
HB: Davis - Reid - Shaw
C: Thomas - Swan - Didak
HF: Beams* - Cloke - Fasolo
F: Krakour - Dawes - Macaffer

R: Jolly - Pendlebury - Ball

INT: Maxwell - Sidebottom -Wellingham - Johnson

EMG: Blair - Young - Toovey - Goldsack* - J.Thomas

* question marks over whether they will be at the pies in 2012

Almost identical to me OP except, Johnson goes out, in comes Goldsack.

HF: Beams - Cloke - Fasolo

INT: Maxwell - Sidebottom -Wellingham - Goldsack

Emerg: Buckley, M Clarke (assuming we get him back), J Thomas, Johnson.

Dawes will need to play the L Brown role, so having Caff would allow that.

im hoping for a massive pre-season from Macaffer. He's the missing link in our forward line.

How often in the last 2 months did sides clean up errant long kicks forward. Macaffer is the short spot up target who plays on the 3rd tall defender and makes them accountable. He is a tough tackler as well.

Willing to write off 2011 due to his groin issues, but im hoping he has a massive pre-season.

Ignoring the trade speculation, I'm also hoping Beams puts in the hard yards over pre-season. Needs a bit more bulk and a yard or 2 of pace. Needs to improve his defensive game too.

Cam Wood needs a huge summer in the gym. Needs to play as the backup ruck from now on and needs more size.

Didak is the other one who could be like a new recruit. His season never got going due to pre-season injuries and then another calf injury mid-season. He'll be like a new recruit.

Almost identical to me OP except, Johnson goes out, in comes Goldsack.

INT: Maxwell - Sidebottom -Wellingham - Goldsack

Emerg: Buckley, M Clarke (assuming we get him back), J Thomas, Johnson.

Dawes will need to play the L Brown role, so having Caff would allow that.

No!!!!! Don't kill Dawes by making him ruck. I do not think we need to replace Leigh Brown's role anymore. How many teams in the top four have a part time ruck?

im hoping for a massive pre-season from Macaffer. He's the missing link in our forward line.

How often in the last 2 months did sides clean up errant long kicks forward. Macaffer is the short spot up target who plays on the 3rd tall defender and makes them accountable. He is a tough tackler as well.

Willing to write off 2011 due to his groin issues, but im hoping he has a massive pre-season.

Ignoring the trade speculation, I'm also hoping Beams puts in the hard yards over pre-season. Needs a bit more bulk and a yard or 2 of pace. Needs to improve his defensive game too.

Cam Wood needs a huge summer in the gym. Needs to play as the backup ruck from now on and needs more size.

Didak is the other one who could be like a new recruit. His season never got going due to pre-season injuries and then another calf injury mid-season. He'll be like a new recruit.

Macaffer

He's never going to set the world on fire but he will play a role for us down forward and does take that 3rd tall.. Would need to slot 25 goals or more.

Beamsy..

Very hard to add both bulk and pace..

Cam Wood

Loved his game against Freo drifting forward and kicking goals, he often gets caught not pushing back and leaving oppostion ruckman free in our back half. Needs to develop a bigger tank and add some muscle.

Didak

I know he loves playing forward, but a big preseason and a return to the midfield is where he needs to be, hopefully this season has him hungry for next year and wanting to push his body to the limit.

B - Tooves, N.Brown, Tarrant
HB - Didak, Reid, H.Shaw

Get Didak behind the ball......he would be an amazing quarter back.

C - Harry, Swan, Thomas

Harry to move up the ground and be a more dangerous offensive player, is too suspect under the high ball down back, can use his creative flair on the wing......Tarrant can take over his role down back.

HF - Beams, Cloke, Sidebottom
FF - Fasolo, Dawes, Macaffer

Foll - Wood, Pendles, Ball

Id be playing Wood as the main ruck for most of the season, manage Jolly carefully so he is cherry ripe for finals. And who knows Wood may even come on and hold a spot in the team on form.

Int - any of Wellers, Krak, Goldsack, Keefe (could he be a new L.Brown option?) B.Johnson, Maxwell etc

B - Tooves, N.Brown, Tarrant
HB - Didak, Reid, H.Shaw

Get Didak behind the ball......he would be an amazing quarter back.

C - Harry, Swan, Thomas

Harry to move up the ground and be a more dangerous offensive player, is too suspect under the high ball down back, can use his creative flair on the wing......Tarrant can take over his role down back.

HF - Beams, Cloke, Sidebottom
FF - Fasolo, Dawes, Macaffer

Foll - Wood, Pendles, Ball

Id be playing Wood as the main ruck for most of the season, manage Jolly carefully so he is cherry ripe for finals. And who knows Wood may even come on and hold a spot in the team on form.

Int - any of Wellers, Krak, Goldsack, Keefe (could he be a new L.Brown option?) B.Johnson, Maxwell etc

lets be honest..
A backman needs to be defensive minded, selfless and courageous.

Do you see Didak putting his body on the line..? I don't.

But the Harry O'Brien Suggestion is interesting.
The penetrating kick deep would be landing in the goal square instead of outside 50.

Maybe develop Dawe's tank and get him leading up the ground and stick Cloke closer to goal to clunk marks..?

lets be honest..

Playing as the defensive sweeper role is what would work for Didak. The whole concept of defined positions is almost irrelevant in today's football, especially the FB, CHB, Mid type positioning.

Didak has the tank to play midfield, but instead of having him trying to finish the work....change his role and have him play behind the ball...like Deledio, R.Murphy etc

If Leon stays at the club id throw him back into the middle, his best football IMO was late 2009 when he was playing through the midfield.

The penetrating kick deep would be landing in the goal square instead of outside 50.

Maybe develop Dawe's tank and get him leading up the ground and stick Cloke closer to goal to clunk marks..?

You dont need to develop Dawes' tank, he is elite for a Key Position player.

My idea would be to station Jolly as a deep forward option, and have Wood as the main ruck

C: Thomas - Swan - Sidebottom
F: Krakouer - Dawes - Didak

INT: Maxwell - MaCaffer -Wellingham - Toovey

Em: Johnson, Sinclair, J.Thomas/M.Clarke (if Marty returns of course).

Hopefully we trade the likes of Goldsack, McCarthy and Buckley, because let's face it, we simply are not a better team when any of them play, they are plain backup/depth, and that's all they'll ever be.

One player to watch out for in 2012 is Paul Seedsman, he had an injury interrupted 2011 in the VFL, but in his last few games, especially the last game of the season, he showed he had pace, skill and the ability to break the lines.

We need to add a little pace, and the likes of Sinclair, Thomas, Fasolo and Seedsman, and hopefully Marty Clarke will just add to that.

Also, next year, with only one bye likely to be in play (mid season break) we will need to rotate our players better, just like the Cats did this season.

I'd like something like this to occur;

Jolly - 15-18 games
Didak - 18-20 games
Johnson - 15-18 games
Davis - 18-20 games

Also over the past 2 seasons we have added the likes of Ball, Jolly, Tarrant and Krakouer to our list, we will need to do something similar again to improve going forward.

lets be honest..

My impression is Dawes has good endurance and gets around a lot - still all for improving it. Don't think leaving Cloke closer to goal will achieve much except make him easier to cover. A 3rd marking forward is what we need - maybe macaffer, maybe some one from the 2nds might step up, maybe a new recruit.

I don't find the 'best' starting 22 for 2012 that exciting. my ideal starting 2011 played in the gf and wasn't good enough. Problems with injuries, form, etc but I am now not convinced at their best they are good enough.

Based on 2011 Wood as no.1 ruck is accepting loosing in this position against most teams. Jolly may have a big heart but will his body manage - we need a 3rd rucking option. and a 3rd tall forward.

N Brown will add even greater depth to the backline but you can't play 8 backmen. Playing maxie on the bench is saying from the word go we don't have a place for him.

I think our 'best' 22 is structurally unsound. Some new blood needs to be brought in or stand up. Goldsack, johnno, dids, m clarke, buckley: we know what we've got there, can't see much substantial improvement. much as I appreciate their service to the pies its time to bring in new blood, to give us a chance of improving rather than simply recatching 2010 gf form.

B: Toovey - Brown - Maxwell
HB: Davis - Reid - O'Brien
C: Shaw - Swan - Wellingham
HF: Didak - Cloke - D. Thomas
F: Krakouer - Dawes - Tarrant
FL: Jolly - Pendlebury - Ball
INT: Sidebottom - Goldsack - Wood
SUB: Beams​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Maxwell - N.Brown - O'Brien
C: Wellingham - Swan - Thomas
HF: Didak - Cloke - Sidebottom
F: Krakouer - Dawes - Tarrant
I: Wood - Beams - Toovey - Fasolo

Matty i think you raised two keys things we will look to do in 2012. We need to introduce some leg speed, this will be achieved via Seedsman and drafting/trading in the short term.

The other is pacing our quality through the year. In addition to the older type players Matty mentioned i would add Ball and Swan to the list. I want Swan to be a big game match winner on regular basis, we need him primed to do it. Pendles and Daisy may not need to miss games but their workload needs managing.

Role of the Leroy has a number of options i'd like them explored at NAB time.

Finally i'm very keen on Harry being up the ground, he has all the tools, has X factor and would be a very difficult matchup for any side.

Find myself agreeing on the Harry O move up the ground. He has the speed and x factor to be pretty damaging.

This is my opinion of a possible team

B - Toovey Brown Tarrant
HB - Davis Reid Shaw
C - Thomas Swan Wellingham
HF - O'Brien Cloke Krakouer
F - Didak Dawes Macaffer
R - Jolly Pendlebury Ball
INT - Sidebottom Beams Wood
SUB - Goldsack

EMG - Johnson Blair Fasolo Maxwell

Would love to score a player in the draft/trades with a bit of flair/pace/x-factor for a forward pocket role... Such as a Jeff Garlett or something.

Who can we expect to see playing from our recruits? Ceglar? Witts? McNamara?

Ceglar looks extremely raw...very skinny, so would need another year in the magoos putting on weight and learning how to play Ruck/KPF.

Witts looks ready made....but he is still raw and only a kid....I reckon these two will spend the majority of the year at VFL level.

Keefe is one bloke who may get the jump, sure he aint fashionable or a buzz player like Witts appears to be, but he is a 200cm+ bloke with nice pace and decent skills.....he could be a great replacement for Leroy.

A guy like Ugle may get a game too.

The good thing with a change of coach is that a guy like Goldsack may find himself in Buckley's best 22....even McCarthy or young guys like Thomas, Sinclair etc....impress in pre-season and could force themselves in.

Nathan Brown coming back is the interesting one for me. Reid AA CHB and Tarrant wouldn't have looked out of place as AA Full Back.

So Brown would have to displace Tarrant. If Taz stays in the back half he would have to play Maxy's role as he doesn't offer enough rebound to replace any of the others.

Tarrant forward? Play the role that Caff did well last year as a lead up forward and he has the pace to put on defensive pressure.

I like the idea of Taz providing that 3rd option. Cloke, Dawes and Taz rotating around the forward 50 could be a very dangerous set-up.

Also Taz could go back if Reid or Brown go down or are getting beaten during a game.

Will be extremely interesting to see what Bucks does.

Tarrant forward? Play the role that Caff did well last year as a lead up forward and he has the pace to put on defensive pressure.

I like the idea of Taz providing that 3rd option. Cloke, Dawes and Taz rotating around the forward 50 could be a very dangerous set-up.

Also Taz could go back if Reid or Brown go down or are getting beaten during a game.

Will be extremely interesting to see what Bucks does.

ya joking? reinvent a forward turned backman in his last years as a forward? clutching at straws. last year we recruited taz and krak. fact is it wasn't enough. we need a similar level of newblood injuection. or hope in miracles around form and injuries. after seeing 3 gf's in 30 years I am damned sure hope in miracles fails more times than it succeeds.

B: Maxwell- N Brown- O'Brien
HB: Tarrant- Reid- Shaw
C: Wellingham- Pendlebury- Thomas
HF: Beams- Cloke- Sidebottom
F: Krakouer- Dawes- McCaffer
R: Jolly- Swan- Ball
INT: Wood - Fasolo- Didak- Davis

Remove this Banner Ad

Back