List Mgmt. Mitch Brown and Joel Hamling delisted with Hunt

Remove this Banner Ad

With perennial "bitchees", Varcoe and Brown OUT, who is going to be the player we love to bitch about in 2015?

Rhys Stanley.

Because...

1. He's from another club, Geelong fans are notorious for having little patience with "rejects".

and

2. Many will stupidly believe we gave up Bundy for him and blame him for that.

Joel Hamling seems a lively player (based on youtube footage), given Stephen Wells drafted him in the first place means he must have shown some potential (Wells hits more than he misses).

As Freo are crying out for tall, bigger bodied defenders do you think he is worth a shot?

Joel Hamling seems a lively player (based on youtube footage), given Stephen Wells drafted him in the first place means he must have shown some potential (Wells hits more than he misses).

As Freo are crying out for tall, bigger bodied defenders do you think he is worth a shot?
Mitch Brown would be a perfect fit for Freo as a 2nd tall. Versatile too.

Can't bealeave that a quick tall with good disposal is ditched without a game. The Brown and Hamling delistings as failures of first round picks are (I hate to say) big black marks on Wells to bring in quality and/or GFC's lauded ability to develop players (particularly Hamling)

Think this, coupled with Recruiting McIntosh and not having Christensen signed up a year prior to his meltdown (and a give away on pick 21 for Stanley) are amazingly ordinary for a club that has generally recruited/managed players well. Think this is really going to impact us in next 5 years.

Really p-ssed off.

Brown was doomed after two horrible injuries over two seasons... Never recovered after missing nearly 3 years of footy....
As for Hamling... First things first... He was like pick 32 or 34...something like that... In all reality an end of round 2 pick.... So let's not pump him up as a first round flop...when clearly he wasn't...
As for HMac.... He was actually a decent gamble considering what was available to us and at the price we were willing to pay... Let's remember we didn't have a no.1 Ruckman... No... West wasn't and Simmo was a question mark....
Then we come down to Bundy.... Please tell me how you get someone to sign a contract when YOU want them to?? Coz I have had that problem a few times and can't seem to force anyone to do it...
Then when you have only two suitors.... One offering pick 29 and the other 21... What do u do....
Let him go for nothing?? Force him to west coast?? Yeah good luck....
Let's all get our heads around the fact... Players control their own movements... Clubs do not.... Let's stop living in the past...
FREE AGENCY..... We shall embrace it or flounder.... Did someone say Paddy? Scooter?? Talia??
People screamed NO .... When Frawley was reported to be offered 500k PA... Boy seems like a bargain NOW...
Wait till the $750-850pa comes out for Paddy.... Watch the howling....
As for the next 5 Years.... It will dictated MORE by whom we secure in Free Agency in 2015 and 2016...

Joel has put on little muscle in 3 years...if you're after a bigger bodied defender, I'm not sure he'd be your go. Unless you were prepared to wait a few more years.

Can't bealeave that a quick tall with good disposal is ditched without a game. The Brown and Hamling delistings as failures of first round picks are (I hate to say) big black marks on Wells to bring in quality and/or GFC's lauded ability to develop players (particularly Hamling)

Think this, coupled with Recruiting McIntosh and not having Christensen signed up a year prior to his meltdown (and a give away on pick 21 for Stanley) are amazingly ordinary for a club that has generally recruited/managed players well. Think this is really going to impact us in next 5 years.

Really p-ssed off.

I think it's pretty safe to say Wells' good picks out weigh the bad. We have 3 flags to show for his work.
The bloke still deserves a statue out the front of SS.

Geelong upgraded Burbury and re-signed Hamling at the end of last year, for starters. That doesn't seem very consistent to me. What has changed in Geelong's assessment of these two players in 12 months?
Something, obviously. I don't disagree that on what we know now delisting two players who were upgraded/re-signed a year ago indicates the club made a poor decision 12 months ago - but that doesn't in anyway equal strategic inconsistency. It equals changing views of individual players within the same strategic framework.

Before getting Stanley and Clark, I thought Brown and Hamling would get another year.

I don't mind the delistings after picking up Clark and Stanley but I honestly don't think the late picks will get us better players in short or long term.

I don't see a list strategy unfolding. It's a mess.

What are the chances that these 40+ picks, especially those in the 60s and 70s, will be any better prospects than Hamling and Hunt? However, unlike those two, any players drafted will be years behind them in development and experience. Seems awfully wasteful. If you want to argue that they just weren't up to par, then that just attests to the assertion that recent drafting has been less than stellar, so going back to the draft with another handful of picks, most of which will be speculative late-round picks, seems kind of odd to me.
I'd say you might have more luck in the Melbourne Cup field. What was Hamling? Pick#32 in 2011? Three years, not a single senior game? 100% dud investment as it turned out. Wonder what Wells saw there? Was he wearing beer goggles that day? I hope he has a better time with this year's picks. :)

Is there more to it once they get to Geelong? Look at Simpkin - the Hawks seemed to be getting much more out of him than GFC did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say you might have more luck in the Melbourne Cup field. What was Hamling? Pick#32 in 2011? Three years, not a single senior game? 100% dud investment as it turned out. Wonder what Wells saw there? Was he wearing beer goggles that day? I hope he has a better time with this year's picks. :)

Is there more to it once they get to Geelong? Look at Simpkin - the Hawks seemed to be getting much more out of him than GFC did.

The Hawks pick and choose when taking someone like Simpkin, and have different requirements. He plays a role there and he is good at it. At Geelong maybe we were looking for a more flexible player.

Have we ever been associated with this many post season departures before?
10!
History says they know what they are doing, but my personal 'liked players' has taken an absolute hammering.

The Hawks pick and choose when taking someone like Simpkin, and have different requirements. He plays a role there and he is good at it. At Geelong maybe we were looking for a more flexible player.

Therein lies the difference.

Hawthorn select players to be very good at one role;
Geelong select players to be average at multiple roles.

A young developing 204cm that takes pack marks, slots goals from outside 50m, is lightning quick and can ruck.

Very happy the Cats picked him up.

Shittruck, we'll see. :)
Sounds like he's still growing, was 200 cm not so long ago.

Therein lies the difference.

Hawthorn select players to be very good at one role;
Geelong select players to be average at multiple roles.

I'm sorry but that's nonsense. Hawthorn have players who play multiple roles, just like other teams.

I also don't accept that Geelong seek average performance in multiple roles either. Successful clubs don't work like that.

It wasn't that long ago that Geelong were being lauded for their flexibility, and ability to positionally change personnel to meet opposition challenges and defeat them. Right now we are in a development phase that exposes inexperience and makes us vulnerable as we try to replicate whats needed, to meet todays challenges, with a group of younger players coming into the side.

Having players very good at one role only is not the optimum strategy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back