In Hine we trust....but What would you have done differently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Always like it when there is an opportunity to have people stick their necks out.

Having seen all the trades and the picks / players used was there someone you think we should have targeted?

I liked the Greenwood deal and was happy with Crisp and pick 5.

The one for me is probably Varcoe. I'm not sure I get that one and probably would have kept that pick. I know they wanted speed but I'm happy to back in Sinclair, Williams, Kennedy and Seedsman for that role. A lot of people pour crap on 40 but he was inj last year and the year prior to that had us excited.

I would then have used pick 30 for Hallahan. He'd walk into our 22 and allow Adams to get on outside a bit more. Would have also built the 'bank' a bit more.

The one that got away was Clark. They simply took to long and we may learn a lesson there but it was always a risk.

I agree. I think we should have had a crack at Hallahan and also Whiley. Would have been happy to bring these 2 in.

Varcoe was neither here nor there for me. I think it was just convenient more than anything.

Would also like to see some work done to upgrade pick 5 to either 2 or 3 but reasonably happy.

Love the Greenwood inclusion, that's a big plus for us I reckon.

I would also love us to get Clark and we did all the Hard Yards on him just to have Cats swoop in and Pinch Him:mad:

Well Varcoe can go Forward more then Sinclair,Williams and Seedsman.

Not sure we needed to give up a star to move 3 spots but would certainly entertain someone like Brown.

But those pick are very Precious and there are standout 4 Propects(Moore and Henney are also but already bee Commited to clubs) so Teams just won't hand them over, just like that.

But those pick are very Precious and there are standout 4 Propects(Moore and Henney are also but already bee Commited to clubs) so Teams just won't hand them over, just like that.
Some will if the players they're interested in are likely to fall 2-3 places.

For example - with Melbourne losing a KPD like Frawley maybe they woudld've entertained the idea that we move up to 2 or 3 and discuss who we are both interested in with a gentlemans along the lines of at 2 we'll take either Petracca or McCartin and leave you Brayshaw and we'll give you Nathan Brown as that KPD you're looking for.

I don't know but it's certainly something clubs would discuss. I think the trouble with 5 in this years draft is that it sounds like after 4 it drops a bit.

For example - with Melbourne losing a KPD like Frawley maybe they woudld've entertained the idea that we move up to 2 or 3 and discuss who we are both interested in with a gentlemans along the lines of at 2 we'll take either Petracca or McCartin and leave you Brayshaw and we'll give you Nathan Brown as that KPD you're looking for.

I don't know but it's certainly something clubs would discuss. I think the trouble with 5 in this years draft is that it sounds like after 4 it drops a bit.

Would of had a Gun at 5 IF Heeney and Moore where still in the Draft we would of got one but now after 5 there is a bit of a Drop. That is why I am pissed why Dees got Pick 3 for losing Frawley. Not even close to being worth that.

Levarde is easily Pick 5 but not elite young Prospect

I think Lever has stepped up now so there is a genuine 5. It's more whether what we want is in that first 5. Ur do we want a gun CHB

I think Lever has stepped up now so there is a genuine 5. It's more whether what we want is in that first 5. Ur do we want a gun CHB

Would of had a Gun at 5 IF Heeney and Moore where still in the Draft we would of got one but now after 5 there is a bit of a Drop. That is why I am pissed why Dees got Pick 3 for losing Frawley. Not even close to being worth that.

Levarde is easily Pick 5 but not elite young Prospect
I think most people would agree there is still a bit of work to do surrounding FA and compensation picks. I see the AFL as being very much like my local council where there is a massive disconnect between the Council and the Councillors and therefore everything ends in an argument and the council remains very stubborn and right or wrong put there foot down and stand firm.

I think the AFL will stand firm on FA knowing it doesn't work well, too proud IMO and like to show everyone who is running, or think is running the AFL.

I don't think we can be too concerned about the FS selections though and pick 4 probably being the clear drop off point for talent as we did pick up Moore and contributed to this situation.

I agree with Moore in that we should have explored Harry O and Pick 5 options and either looked elsewhere for Varcoe or let him slide. I think there is more value in pick 2 & 3 than pick 5 and Varcoe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I probably would have had a go at Garlett after seeing how cheap he went.
He could have been handy in our forward line.
No great loss that we didn't though.
Maybe Matt Rendell had some input and I'm not confident we'd pick up a couple of other names people are throwing around in the draft either.

I know this is or was a complicated and contentious issue some years ago and is best left buried, but you just never know.

Maybe Matt Rendell had some input and I'm not confident we'd pick up a couple of other names people are throwing around in the draft either.

I know this is or was a complicated and contentious issue some years ago and is best left buried, but you just never know.

I usually enjoy your posts NT, this wasn't one of them. Rendell was hung out to dry. He wanted to improve the keep rate of indigenous talent & stop us losing them. Instead he got branded a rascist. Which he isn't.

I usually enjoy your posts NT, this wasn't one of them. Rendell was hung out to dry. He wanted to improve the keep rate of indigenous talent & stop us losing them. Instead he got branded a rascist. Which he isn't.
Yeah, I did think hard about posting this as I really didn't want to bring it up, but I did and need to live with it.

I know the context that it was put in regarding his time in Adelaide and totally agree with you that he was hung out to dry. I'm not at all labeling him or tarnishing his name, well I hope not and this wasn't my intention, but it was merely to point out that maybe we complete a more thorough due diligence check now then we would've previously.

I really do feel uneasy about the post and happy to remove it but tbh, once I've posted I don't like deleting things rightly or wrongly.

I do apologise to anyone I may have offended.

not saying that it doesn't probably go on but if its " official " so to speak both clubs will get done for draft tampering.

not saying that it doesn't probably go on but if its " official " so to speak both clubs will get done for draft tampering.
That's what I thought and found it amusing that Wallace was actually stating that this exact scenario does happen when on TDR yesterday.

I think that our tall stocks are actually ok with Moore and I'm actually excited about the improvement shown by Marsh. throw in a fit Brown and Reid plus continued growth of Grundy and Witts and I think pick #5 would be a waste on a tall. I'd be going for a Skilled by foot flanker / utility type. same reason that we got Shanberg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back