In Hine we trust....but What would you have done differently?

Remove this Banner Ad

Would also like to see some work done to upgrade pick 5 to either 2 or 3 but reasonably happy.

I still think trading back to 8 + 15 with the Suns would have been the way to go, as we would have been able to get that tall midfielder at 8 (maybe Laverde or at worst DeGoey) and then canvassed the board to take the best available at 14 (whether it be a KPP or another tall midfielder). We never got that low-20's pick it would have taken to make the deal happen though.

Mitch Clark would've been massive for us with immediate impact. Not sure why he changed his mind but that's a loss.

Missing Aish after demanding us hurt a bit. Needed to get in his ear somehow.

All in all disappointed we could not land a big name.

I still think trading back to 8 + 15 with the Suns would have been the way to go, as we would have been able to get that tall midfielder at 8 (maybe Laverde or at worst DeGoey) and then canvassed the board to take the best available at 14 (whether it be a KPP or another tall midfielder). We never got that low-20's pick it would have taken to make the deal happen though.
Pies List Manager: "Hey Suns you want to trade 5 and 30 for 8 and 15?"
Suns List Manager: "Yeah, nah"

Suns List Manager to Suns Football Manager: "Hey you wouldn't believe what Collingwood just tried to pull on us?"

Pies List Manager: "Hey Suns you want to trade 5 and 30 for 8 and 15?"
Suns List Manager: "Yeah, nah"

Suns List Manager to Suns Football Manager: "Hey you wouldn't believe what Collingwood just tried to pull on us?"

I think you missed this bit in your rush to be an ass reply:

We never got that low-20's pick it would have taken to make the deal happen though.

- Once he made the decision to leave, I wouldn't have tried to change it, I would have been openly supportive of his decision. And I most certainly wouldn't have been making snide remarks about Brisbane's offer in the media. In public I would have been all peaches and cream ... with the caveat "... assuming we'll get an equitable deal and I'm confident we will." ... Maybe Beams might have turned up on Copeland.

Well the Lions where a ton times more worse on Twitter then what we did

All in all, I think we did alright. The Harry/Varcoe deal is the big sticking point. I wouldn't have done that. I would have taken #23 and put it in the bank for the draft. Still, I'm happy to be proven wrong by Varcoe.
Given that it was Brisbane or bust, I'm not that unhappy with #5/Greenwood/Crisp. Looking forward to seeing who we grab with #5. We haven't loaded up on talls for a while, so I wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed a key position player, and looked for a pacey type with pick #30. I'd love Laverde though, just looks like he could be anything. I'm glad we didn't trade #5 for a ready made on the last day.

Maybe instead of Vsrcoe we could have pushed for Melb pick 2 for 5 and Harry

As a general rule pick 5 will get you just as good a player as pick 2. Without admittedly knowing anything about this years crop, it sounds to me that youre giving HArry away for basically nothing. Would prefer Varcoe over a three spot improvement in the drafty

I would have liked not getting completely bent over in the Beams trade, Aish+5 would have been better

Weak trade period all round, our club is ****

Mitch Clark would've been massive for us with immediate impact. Not sure why he changed his mind but that's a loss.

Think C

Think Clark's misus is studying at Deaken University down at Geelong. Also, Clark wanted to get away from the limelight given his mental issues and Geelong is further away than Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would have liked not getting completely bent over in the Beams trade, Aish+5 would have been better

Weak trade period all round, our club is ****

Its always been a buyers market. With Crisp and pick 5 we replace the x factor of Beams and with Greenwood we get the inside muscle who along with Adams will replace Beams Ball and Harry.

I think that our tall stocks are actually ok with Moore and I'm actually excited about the improvement shown by Marsh. throw in a fit Brown and Reid plus continued growth of Grundy and Witts and I think pick #5 would be a waste on a tall. I'd be going for a Skilled by foot flanker / utility type. same reason that we got Shanberg.

Then you probably want Laverde. Hine alluded in an interview to that type.

Maybe instead of Vsrcoe we could have pushed for Melb pick 2 for 5 and Harry

Melbourne were never going to that, they weren't even going to give us pick 22.

Varcoe is a major upgrade on Harry. Rather a player that goes missing than one who fuks up every touch he has.
Greenwood was a good pickup, pick 5 could be anything, and crisp has promise. Pretty happy all round.

Gutted we didn't get garlett that would have made a world of difference to our forward line.
would have had a go at cooney too, and offered up Blair and young for cheap to make some space.
Would have liked Boyd but went way too high for an unproven

Stuck to what the club said they wanted to do and get players in who are good users of the ball, every year in trade week we keep getting raped and them trying to sell it as a win

Prior to the Beams / H / Greenwood trades ...

Shaw <-> Adams ? In a few years we may very well feel that we won that (Not sure GWS are thrilled with Shaw)

Paine <-> Karnezis ? Too early to say. Paine has hardly been tearing it up at Brusbane

Tom Young <-> 70's pick <-> J.Russell . Everybody lost that one (T.Young got delisted this year)

Wellingham <-> Pick 17 (Grundy) How is that not a win?

Dawes <-> Pick 19 (Broomhead) In 2015 we may forget Dawes even existed

Have I missed any?

Prior to the Beams / H / Greenwood trades ...

Shaw <-> Adams ? In a few years we may very well feel that we won that (Not sure GWS are thrilled with Shaw)

Paine <-> Karnezis ? Too early to say. Paine has hardly been tearing it up at Brusbane

Tom Young <-> 70's pick <-> J.Russell . Everybody lost that one (T.Young got delisted this year)

Wellingham <-> Pick 17 (Grundy) How is that not a win?

Dawes <-> Pick 19 (Broomhead) In 2015 we may forget Dawes even existed

Have I missed any?

Didn't we pickup Adams with pick 13? From daisy FA?

Also I think our free agent pickups have all been missus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand the Varcoe trade, if we are rebuilding why bother giving him 3 years? I wanted us to target some good kicks but i understand the Greenwood trade with Caff and Ball out.

I think the club did the best it could with the Beams situation, though at times i was happy for the club to play hard ball and enforce the contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back