Review Round 18: Freo Defeats GWS by 21 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me yes. Looks to have composure in spades which is Daniel's biggest flaw.

Effort & experience are valued higher than composure in Lyon's teams.

I struggle to see D. Pearce getting dropped as soon as next year, despite realistic arguments that could justify such a decision. Lyon loves him.

Think having Dawson back, even though it's just gonna be for one game now, just adds a bit of extra experience and familiarity down back. Mcpharlin played his best game for a while and though Pearce has been very good he is gonna play differently to Dawson.

A lot of trousers bursting at Weller but we have to remember how young he is. There will be inconsistency, good games and bad ones and commensurate criticism before he establishes himself. We must keep our expectations in check. Blakely however is the next Lenny Hayes.

Liking Sheridan more and more each game tbh.
Me too. I think it was his best game in terms of intent if not output. I know he made a few mistakes but it was good to see him trying to break lines, which he did successfully on many occasions.

When he first arrived he was vanilla as can be. I struggled to see what Lyon saw in him. Even his burst of speed was underutilized: it was as if Sheridan was paralyzed by fear of failure -- I guess too Lyon preaches conservatism, tactically and in the overall brand he espouses, this would have shaped Sheridan's perception of his role -- but maybe we need a bit of daring & selfishness.

Thinking with luck Sheridan's within a yard or two of breaking it open a little.I think there's something there to persevere with.
I do remember Bushie saying he was a scaredycat and he is one of the side-salad haircut brigade.o_O
However there's enormous run and RTB has him in the forge with tungsten additives.He'll toughen up and produce.
Weller's got plenty of what we need and he's been tuned and intro'ed.
Blooded by professionals=correct weight.
Will become comfortable at the level,execute and develop.Calculating playmaker
Has been handled beautifully and was likely told months ago:hit these KPIs and you'll hit finals.

Think having Dawson back, even though it's just gonna be for one game now, just adds a bit of extra experience and familiarity down back. Mcpharlin played his best game for a while and though Pearce has been very good he is gonna play differently to Dawson.

A lot of trousers bursting at Weller but we have to remember how young he is. There will be inconsistency, good games and bad ones and commensurate criticism before he establishes himself. We must keep our expectations in check. Blakely however is the next Lenny Hayes.

Yeah Dawson -- we best speak of him in the past tense now, he won't be playing for a few weeks, he won't be "adding" anything. Somehow I still find his brain explosions endearing. I just wish he could have waited a few more weeks (ie when Johnson/Silva return) before having his yearly spell on the suspension list.

Shero had a very accomplished game today I thought. I seriously wrote him off earlier in the year but I liked it. Hes edging towards Suttie imo.
Seriously? The guy was the clanger king today - and mostly under little or no pressure. And at least two of these lead to rebound goals on the turnover.
Ordinary game at best!

I know, but he still has an important role for them and is in their Best 22.

Suban is in our best 22. Considering that we have been over relying on Fyfe to win, doing so without him in itself is a positive, rather than just judging in a vacuum our best players out compared to theirs.

Another peculiar game where we dominated, just absolutely monstered the opposition for big chunks of the game, but when you look up at the scoreboard we're rarely more than 4-5 goals up. The lack of conversion in general is massively frustrating. But then again, we seem to take our chances when they matter (e.g. last vs Tigers), so overall, I'm happy enough and stoked with the win.

Some things that caught my eye:

- Suban: was pretty good, especially early, he was a bit off later in the game and does what is common for him and just fades to ordinary, non-existent or worse. Early though, I thought he along with the more obvious Hill and Mundy were instrumental with us dominating the middle and covering for Fyfe's absence.

- Dawson: loved his strength in the contest, you see what he brings us, but he was also sloppy at times and just not quite doing those 1% in the right way that is ultimately his thing. Seems people are mixed, but all considered I thought he was pretty ordinary, but first game in 10 months odd, it can be forgiven. As for the elbow of thunder ... yeah, ugly.

- Last 1/4 RTB clearly went into a lock down conservation mode and counting on odd score on the rebound. Was a bit disappointed he did that, but also like the fact that he'll simply do what's best for the team full stop. He's not looking for glory smashing for the sake of it.

- Mzungu seems to have lost just a half yard of pace IMHO. He's never been a rocket, and GWS midfield is pretty zippy and skilled so maybe it showed up a bit more, but Mzu does seem a fraction off the pace from what I remember.

Last edited:
Thinking with luck Sheridan's within a yard or two of breaking it open a little.I think there's something there to persevere with.
I do remember Bushie saying he was a scaredycat and he is one of the side-salad haircut brigade.o_O
However there's enormous run and RTB has him in the forge with tungsten additives.He'll toughen up and produce.
Weller's got plenty of what we need and he's been tuned and intro'ed.
Blooded by professionals=correct weight.
Will become comfortable at the level,execute and develop.Calculating playmaker
Has been handled beautifully and was likely told months ago:hit these KPIs and you'll hit finals.
Agreed. Particularly the observations on Weller.

Came in ready to go and made an immediate impact, will be huge next year with another pre-season under his belt. I hope we can keep the Saints grimy mitts off him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to try and recruit Jetta to replace him!

Replace D Pearce, who has been struggling with his goal radar, with this guy: see link to Jetta´s first 20 shots on goal (gotta watch it for the 19th (first that came after the siren), then the 20th, great vid) -

p.s. love Jetta, he has been good after he got over the yips and would be great on Subi. Just wanted to take the opportunity to post this video though!

Goalkicking - Our goalkicking is getting steadily worse and worse. Mayne & Pav have both previously been the best set shots in the comp. What's happened since then? And what do we do to fix this? My opinion: get rid of Sumich. Love the guy, he was a great player, but he has to shoulder some of the blame for this. If one player was having an issue, then we can blame the player. If the entire team is having issues, maybe we should look at the guy that's training them. Even Crozier, who's relatively newer to the team, and used to be a great set shot, sprayed everything today.

Its fatigue.

Several forwards have said this repeatedly over the years as to why set shot kicking has not improved as the game went professional. Reiwoldt is one who has said this. He was deadly accurate as a teen, but started spraying them as a pro when he was asked to sprint all over the ground. He was often stuffed by the time he took his kick. With the 30 sec rule, you also don´t often have enough time to recover. Your anaerobic system needs at least 1 minute to recover after a sprint. Guys like Lockett, Dunstall etc just sat in the goal square and did a 30m sprint every now and then.

Ross has taken the demands on forwards to another level with our "all team defence", with all forwards required to push right back and then sprint forward. If they do get the ball, they are stuffed and the rules don´t allow time to recover before a kick (30 sec rule).

Perhaps the forwards need to do all their at set shot kicking after doing repeat 100m sprints at training. Although its not just the forwards. Its everyone who sprays a shot. Midfielders also are often stuffed by the time they get forward.

Perhaps the forwards need to do all their at set shot kicking after doing repeat 100m sprints at training. Although its not just the forwards. Its everyone who sprays a shot. Midfielders also are often stuffed by the time they get forward.

Mayne said exactly this when his kicking went bad earlier in the year. It hasn't helped though.

It's partly because of our press that our kicking (both for goal and in general play) is so poor. Pushing all your forwards all the way up the ground makes it easier to create turnovers, but makes it harder to score when you do.

The fatigue affects not just the accuracy but also the length of kicking. I don't know where you'd find stats but I would guess we also score a lot less goals from outside 50 than most other teams.

Three things from RTB's presser:-

1. Player running past another who has the ball sometimes should not call for the ball but 'direct out' to a better option if that exists. Communication and better decision making. If they need an example, refer to Michael Johnson. He even gives pointers to the Umps.

2. Alex Pearce subbed out as a flip of the coin. I don't think so. Me thinking Zac's brain fade meant Pearce needed to be tapped out in readiness for another couple of weeks of grind down back.

3. The Saints are resting a couple for us. Riewoldt and Gilbert. Maybe I'm reading a little too much into it but I take that as code to mean..'Take note AFL. Even the bottom dwellers are managing their players so don't hassle us as we plan to do the same in earnest in the coming weeks.'

Last edited:
Three things from RTB's presser:-

1. Playing running past another who has the ball sometimes should not call for the ball but 'direct out' to a better option if that exists. Communication and better decision making. If they need an example, refer to Michael Johnson. He even gives pointers to the Umps.

2. Alex Pearce subbed out as a flip of the coin. I don't think so. Me thinking Zac's brain fade meant Pearce needed to be tapped out in readiness for another couple of weeks of grind down back.

3. The Saints are resting a couple for us. Riewoldt and Gilbert. Maybe I'm reading a little too much into it but I take that as code to mean..'Take note AFL. Even the bottom dwellers are managing their players so don't hassle us as we plan to do the same in earnest in the coming weeks.'
Great points especially the one regarding A Pearce/Dawson. Really smart move.

Replace D Pearce, who has been struggling with his goal radar, with this guy: see link to Jetta´s first 20 shots on goal (gotta watch it for the 19th (first that came after the siren), then the 20th, great vid) -

p.s. love Jetta, he has been good after he got over the yips and would be great on Subi. Just wanted to take the opportunity to post this video though!

Ive always thought Lachie Weller was recruited to replace Pearce

Yeah Im sure there will be a few seasons of cross over
We need better transition and speed from defence, and I see the openings for players such as Weller and Blakely related to this. Hill playing a bit more in the backline.

In terms of actually replacing a player, Mzungu is more vulnerable than Pearce to an emerging Weller, and Blakely will result in de Boer missing out.

We need better transition and speed from defence, and I see the openings for players such as Weller and Blakely related to this. Hill playing a bit more in the backline.

In terms of actually replacing a player, Mzungu is more vulnerable than Pearce to an emerging Weller, and Blakely will result in de Boer missing out.

Agreed, hopefully RTB sees it the same way.

De Boer seems to be playing as a defensive half forward, who drifts into the midfield.

Watching Weller tackle yesterday I came to a conclusion that De Boer has 0% reason to be in the side any more. None. Zip.

De Boer seems to be playing as a defensive half forward, who drifts into the midfield.

Watching Weller tackle yesterday I came to a conclusion that De Boer has 0% reason to be in the side any more. None. Zip.

Yeah agreed. I think Gu still has a place because generally in the 4th he is a real asset. MDB just doesnt do enough I think. He really tries but is pretty limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back