Practice Match v Southport Sharks

Remove this Banner Ad

You could see that coming a mile away. Reps to you for that.

I wouldn't have said it in reply to someone if you could see it from miles away :p

Hopefully they were wearing red shorts to dull down the yellow a bit. It isn't looking good for the black, gold and white clan is it? It will probably end up being something like we will see when the pictures are posted, with some styling to it. :(

Sounds like they've already made their minds up then? Sounds pretty lame. Now I definitely need to see some pictures of that hot photographer.

Not quite sure if this is the jumper or not , but pure yellow with the logo in the middle , white shorts and red socks.

Does anyone know if Hamish Watts played, and if so, how he went?

Also, I must say I'm a bit bloody miffed that the GC17 site hasn't even been updated yet. It's almost midday Saturday, the game was last night and it was their first ever hit out, and not a match report in sight. Slack. I truly hope it's not a sign of things to come.

This is from the Gold Coast Bulletin yesterday.

Nick Smart
March 20th, 2009
TWO-time Southport premiership coach Craig Crowley has promised the Gold Coast Football Club no favours in its first match after revealing he would field his strongest possible side at Carrara tonight.
The reigning premier Sharks will do battle in a trial game with the Gold Coast TAC Cup side, who are made up of teenagers aged 17 and 18. It will be a game of two 20-minute halves with the action getting under way at 7pm.
Even though it is a practice match it will hold special significance for the GCFC as the club's first recognised match since its creation. But is set to be a case of men against boys. Crowley said his Sharks meant business and were treating the hitout seriously.
"We will play our best side," he said. Asked if his senior side would wreak havoc on the Coast's young bodies, Crowley said: "They are the best kids in Queensland -- I don't think we will. A lot of those boys (such as Rory Thompson, Jesse Haberfield and Jack Stanlake) were at Southport last year and close to senior footy.
"There will be no spite in the game but I think they will be able to handle themselves.
"We still have a few soft tissue injuries which have happened over the course of the pre-season.
"We will be looking at some new faces but it is a reasonably strong side."
GCFC coach Guy McKenna said his playing group, who have been training for 15 weeks, were looking forward to the hitout.
"I am sure it will be an entertaining game and both teams will be keen to show their wares," he said. "I think one of the things is you get used to game plans and things like that, so to play against someone else and see how those plans go will be interesting."
The result will not be important for the Coast, who are preparing for their round one TAC Cup clash with the Eastern Ranges at Carrara on April 4.
But McKenna said that he expected a competitive effort from his team tonight.
"(I will be expecting) what I will expect throughout the course of the season -- for them to work hard, use the ball well and make their teammates lives on the footy field a lot easier," he said.

...and this is today's.

Nick Smart
March 21st, 2009

AS the Gold Coast Football Club had its first hit-out at Carrara last night, the AFL has revealed the city will finally know in less than a week whether it will be granted the league's 17th national licence.

With the state election to be held today the AFL Commission, which met in Melbourne yesterday, had no choice but to once again delay the decision on whether it will give the Coast the green light.

But the boys of the GCFC were oblivious to all of the back drama last night as they lined up for a trial game (two 20-minute halves) against the Southport Sharks at Gold Coast Stadium.

The team looked sharp in a shiny gold jumper with a red GC logo on the front, white shorts and red and yellow socks. The jumper had leading superannuation firm HostPlus's logo on it, which will further fuel speculation that they are the club's 'secret' financial backer.

They boys are fit and raring to go -- all they need now is a licence to play in the AFL in two years' time. It all comes down to the stadium, with the Bligh Government pledging a $60 million redevelopment of Gold Coast Stadium while LNP leader Lawrence Springborg is against the proposal.

A Labor victory would ensure the licence is granted in a matter of days. But an AFL spokesman yesterday declared an announcement was imminent.

GCFC chief operating officer Scott Munn, who was in Melbourne yesterday, said the bid team were anticipating some answers. "The AFL Commission's in a holding pattern until next week," he said.

Sporting their new outfit last night, the boys were ready to play following 15 long weeks of training under coach Guy McKenna and his assistants Marcus Ashcroft and Shaun Hart. It was always going to be a tough struggle for the 17 and 18-year-olds against the reigning AFLQ Division 1 premiers. But they well and truly matched it with the bigger and older Sharks as they went down 6-3 (39) to 3-5 (17).

* THE AFL will permanently introduce a rule outlawing deliberately rushed behinds trialled during the pre-season.

It was one of two trial rules which will come into effect for the premiership season. The other was to award a 50m penalty against players who tackle, hold or make high contact against rivals after they have disposed of the ball.

GCVSHARKS_NEWS-WIDE_-344PX_EE259113_3801.JPG

I thought the game was great. The GCFC will only get better.
The first half they played well and went into the break up by 3.
Fatigue i think got the better of them in the second half.
All up, it was great and way too early to judge them.
The jumper is not too bad and is only for this year. It is the official jumper because it did have the TAC cup logo with sponsor. The AFL 2011 jumper will be very different. Looking forward to practice game 2 next saturday.
Just want to add that the photographer was hot and the crowd was dissapointing, lucky to have been 300 there. I think mostly family of the team. Hope to see you all at game 2 !!

ps. Good luck Anna Bligh !!

Once the 2011 season starts
GCVSHARKS_THUMB_EE259115_3802.JPG

We'll be excited to see this as a heritage jumper during the heritage round.
Go Gold Coast!!

My missus had my camera for the night so I could only get pics on my phone and all photos of the play were crap so I'll just post the 1/2 time and full time pics I took

Half time

Half time

Half time

After the match

After the match

A bit boring, and unfortunately I didn't get a shot of the GC Bulletin photographer who's been mentioned a couple of times. Sorry ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was given a Player Listing sheet for the 2009 season...

1. Marc Lock ...21/6/91 190cm 81kg
2. Zac Smith ...22/2/90 204cm 94kg
3. Jesse Haberfield ...17/1/91 182cm 73kg
4. Luke Shreeve ...26/7/92 179cm 73kg
5. Damien Steven ...16/2/91 183cm 72kg
6. Alik Magin ...13/4/91 178cm 65kg
7. Tyler Green 23/1/91 184cm 79kg
8. Brad Rees ...8/11/91 182cm 74kg
9. Josh Thomas ...1/10/91 178cm 70kg
10. Lewis Moss ...4/2/92 194cm 80kg
11. Mitch Harley ...27/5/91 178cm 77kg
12. Jack Stanlake ...28/2/91 190cm 79kg
13. Taylor Rolfe ...13/4/91 178cm 78kg
14. Nicky Price ...25/3/91 179cm 77kg
15. Matthew Fowler ...11/10/91 186cm 84kg
16. Rory Thompson ...12/3/91 200cm 88kg
17. Joseph Daye ...2/2/90 194cm 83kg
18. Cheyne Hutchinson ...25/3/91 195cm 103kg
19. Hamish Watts ...20/8/91 189cm 81kg
20. Todd Grayson ...27/9/91 184cm 82kg
21. Jake Crawford ...5/3/92 190cm 82kg
22. Nathan Spring ...20/5/91 182cm 79kg
23. Charlie Dixon ...23/9/90 202cm 96kg
24. Gerard Moore ...7/7/91 199cm 88kg
25. Declan Bevan ...30/11/91 196cm 93kg
26. Daniel Ramage ...1/4/91 174cm 70kg
27. Liam Rutledge ...8/3/92 192cm 79kg
30. Ryan Thomson ...17/2/91 183cm 78kg
31. Jack Stanley ...3/1/91 192cm 83kg
35. Mayyhew Storey ...2/4/91 192cm 79kg
39. James Nelis ...17/4/92 190cm 83kg
44. Rex Liddy ...2/1/92 181cm 83kg
45. Amua Pirika ...3/3/91 189cm 77kg

The list also included the club they cam from but I entered all this manually and couldn't be bothered entering that info.

I agree with pretty much everything Phurry said about the game.
The boys looked really good in the first half. They weren't afraid to put their bodies on the line and all seemed to have a red hot go.

I agree that fatigue may have been the reason they fell off in the second half although the bench was used continuously in an effort to keep them fresh. They're only young and their fitness will come.

Another factor that cost them the game was the skill level. The Southport players really passed the ball well to their forwards while the GC boys were putting turning the ball over a lot and found it difficult to find a team mate with their kicks, especially in the second half (although also in the first half).

It was difficult to really know who played well. I wasted half the time looking down at the player list everytime someone got a touch and soon realised that with a couple of exceptions I couldn't remember the players name anyway.
Then right at the end of the match I thought I'd just pay attention to which numbers seemed to be going well but unfortunately the match was over (I though they'd play another 2 quarters and I'd have better info to report). Sorry guys;)

One player that did stand out for me was Marc Lock. He's 190cm and moves very well. He would have picked up 10 or so kicks and apart from one absolute shocker his short and long kicking was excellent including a first half goal from around 50m out.
I think he's going to be a great player.

So who was the hot photographer? Could they have been referring to your wife, sausageroll? Those photos look to be on ground up close.

haha, nah, my wife wasn't there. I was there alone.

The photographer works for the GC Bulletin. I used to work in real estate and I met her a few times when she took photos for Editorials on properties I was marketing. I used to look forward to those photo shoots:D

We were able to go on the ground at half time and after the game and could get pretty close to the players. I took a couple of 20sec vids of the 1/2 time address but they weren't clear and couldn't hear what was said
Hope it's the same for all their games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back