Autopsy "We talking bout PRACTICE!?" - Praccy Match vs GWS March 4th

Remove this Banner Ad

Just my two cents. There were a lot, A LOT of skill errors yesterday. Kicking from the back half was terrible, Collins and Graham the main culprits. Collins had a poor finish to the season, we need him on form or the defence will get exposed.

Also thought we looked a bit slow in midfield, Swallow in particular looked to be running in sand chasing the GWS players.

On the up side Rowell and Flanders looked good. No need to panic but clearly improvement is needed.
Watched Spitta pretty closely at last week’s match against Essendon. He was clearly treating it as just a warm-up. He’s a pro building up to Round One. Not a concern.

Good to hear Longy is fitting in nicely. He was one of my favorite non-suns players to watch last year and I tuned into some saints games just to watch him hunt the ball and hit blokes.

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Surprised his mark hasn’t been mentioned more. What a screamer. Will probably beat a few Marks of the Week in the regular season. He’s got a Howe-Like balance in the air. Quickly becoming one of my favourite players.

Surprised his mark hasn’t been mentioned more. What a screamer. Will probably beat a few Marks of the Week in the regular season. He’s got a Howe-Like balance in the air. Quickly becoming one of my favourite players.
There were some times last year where he was a little overambitious going for hangers and got penalized, but I loved his mark yesterday! Always seemed reliable with the ball and loves contact more than most. Might need me a Long jumper after this year!

On Nokia 6.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

There were some times last year where he was a little overambitious going for hangers and got penalized, but I loved his mark yesterday! Always seemed reliable with the ball and loves contact more than most. Might need me a Long jumper after this year!
I really like what I've seen from Long so far. Any wayward tendencies he used to have seem like they have been ironed out and he's now a really solid defender. We literally picked up a 25 year old entering his physical peak who played the best game of his career (two Brownlow votes) in his last game so I guess it's not the biggest surprise in the world. Not to mention he comes from an extremely well credentialed footballing bloodline with Michael Long being his uncle and his first cousin being Cyril Rioli.

I'm not writing him off, and I want him to succeed, just how I see it atm
Jack reminds me of one of those players that everyone would have had played with - smooth mover, blessed with all the natural talent and skill, looks really classy but never appears to really put in, and never gets much of the ball.

Jack reminds me of one of those players that everyone would have had played with - smooth mover, blessed with all the natural talent and skill, looks really classy but never appears to really put in, and never gets much of the ball.
How many touches would you expect a key forward to get?

GC
Jeffrey 11d, 6m, 2.0
Lukosius 10d, 5m, 1.0
Casboult 6d, 2m, 1.0
Chol 6d, 2m, 1.0
King 4d, 3m, 1.0 * Half game

GWS
Hogan 14d, 3m, 2.1
Ricciardi 11d, 5m, 4.1
Himmelberg 7d, 4m, 3.1

Pretty harsh on Lukosius, who's still trying to get comfortable forward. He's played half a game with Ben King in the forward line, needs to be given time.

GC
Jeffrey 11d, 6m, 2.0
Lukosius 10d, 5m, 1.0
Casboult 6d, 2m, 1.0
Chol 6d, 2m, 1.0

GWS
Hogan 14d, 3m, 2.1
Ricciardi 11d, 5m, 4.1
Himmelberg 7d, 4m, 3.1

Pretty harsh on Lukosius, who's still trying to get comfortable forward. He's played half a game with Ben King in the forward line, needs to be given time.
It’s funny to me that people question Luko’s effort. I would like to see GPS data. He was running hard all day and had actually 3 tackles.

GC
Jeffrey 11d, 6m, 2.0
Lukosius 10d, 5m, 1.0
Casboult 6d, 2m, 1.0
Chol 6d, 2m, 1.0

GWS
Hogan 14d, 3m, 2.1
Ricciardi 11d, 5m, 4.1
Himmelberg 7d, 4m, 3.1

Other players need to be more aware of where he is also. Give him the ball whenever possible, his kicking will set up scoring opportunities. I think because he is a smooth player veiwers want to see him with the ball 20+ times. If he can start hitting the scoreboard more we won't be too worried about how many times he's getting it. Our forward set up has been a shambles in the two practice games as they have been trialling a few different set ups. Get some stability and the right mix and it becomes easier and readable for all involved. In fact no forward has been great in the two games, even ainsworth has been working his arse off for not much reward. Reserve judgement I believe.

GC
Jeffrey 11d, 6m, 2.0
Lukosius 10d, 5m, 1.0
Casboult 6d, 2m, 1.0
Chol 6d, 2m, 1.0

GWS
Hogan 14d, 3m, 2.1
Ricciardi 11d, 5m, 4.1
Himmelberg 7d, 4m, 3.1

That’s the problem - he’s not a key forward. He’s playing wing / HF.

GC
Jeffrey 11d, 6m, 2.0
Lukosius 10d, 5m, 1.0
Casboult 6d, 2m, 1.0
Chol 6d, 2m, 1.0

GWS
Hogan 14d, 3m, 2.1
Ricciardi 11d, 5m, 4.1
Himmelberg 7d, 4m, 3.1

As a 4th tall forward, a few

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Other players need to be more aware of where he is also. Give him the ball whenever possible, his kicking will set up scoring opportunities. I think because he is a smooth player veiwers want to see him with the ball 20+ times. If he can start hitting the scoreboard more we won't be too worried about how many times he's getting it. Our forward set up has been a shambles in the two practice games as they have been trialling a few different set ups. Get some stability and the right mix and it becomes easier and readable for all involved. In fact no forward has been great in the two games, even ainsworth has been working his arse off for not much reward. Reserve judgement I believe.
Agree no forwards have looked any good, alot of rotating happening, hopefully Dewy can pick the best 7 for Round 1.
That’s the problem - he’s not a key forward. He’s playing wing / HF.
As a 4th tall forward, a few
Bit of competition for the wing, half forward, 4th forward role right now. Hollands, Flanders, Holman, Berry, Lukosius all rotated in those positions yesterday.

Ideally it would be nice to get him more involved but everyone knows that high half forward role is the hardest role to play, teammates need to use him more. One of our better ball users, just doesn't get fed enough.

Counter argument, Joel Jeffrey took his share of touches too, how good did Jeffrey look? He was everywhere and same stats as Luko

If he can be a 16-20 possession, 6-8 mark player (he virtually was late last year) he will rack up the score involvements and goal assists and be a critical part of our attack.

If he’d kicked a bit better for goal in the last part of the year I dare say the narrative around him would be quite different.

It’s very achievable.l for him this year.

If he needs to be fed the ball to get him into the game, then play him in defence imo
Doesn't help that our forward structure is to bomb it forward and lock it in.

I'll give it till the bye if it doesn't work as a Wing/High half forward (hopefully rotated with Hollands)

than yeah go back Luko we need you there for our finals tilt

I think the rotation of forward set-ups would have had a real impact on our poor results in trials. A settled front half of the ground and players coming out of defence, through the middle hardly have to think and it all is very easy to read. It has looked very messy moving from defence to forward and let's hope a settled front half we can see some smooth movement going forward

Also players that will get the ball through the middle and be happy to lower their eyes and hit a 25m pass rather than kick long every time, Miller, Ellis, Powell, weller, Flanders, Rowell. Only Rowell and Flanders have played so far.

I’ve tried to sit through watching the replay again but I just couldn’t stand Dermott fawning over GWS all game, going on with his overly long monologues, and cutting the other commentators off whenever they started discussing anything Suns related, to blabber on about GWS again. He may have even said “I know I’m biased but” once or twice!! Derm, you’re supposed to be a professional commentator.

Just my two cents. There were a lot, A LOT of skill errors yesterday. Kicking from the back half was terrible, Collins and Graham the main culprits. Collins had a poor finish to the season, we need him on form or the defence will get exposed.

Also thought we looked a bit slow in midfield, Swallow in particular looked to be running in sand chasing the GWS players.

On the up side Rowell and Flanders looked good. No need to panic but clearly improvement is needed.
Is that you Iva, so negative…. Hang on……wait…… what

Remove this Banner Ad

Back