Autopsy "We talking bout PRACTICE!?" - Praccy Match vs GWS March 4th

Remove this Banner Ad

It kinda went as predicted, the overly tall forward-line didn't work at all, the combination of Collins and Graham is critical error central out of defence and Lukousoius was near invisible in the forward/wing role.

I think if dew smartens up early in the season and addresses those deficiencies then the team will play well this year, but he generally likes to stick to his plans.

Long and farrar were good, Davies decent, but overall the forward pressure was missing, which was a highlight last year.

Long and Farrar definitely can (not that they did today).

As for KPDs how about this following controversial opinion.

It's funny nobody says a word about Collins. Not that practice game matters IMO, teams are trying different things, don't focus on opposition strategies and so on but for me Graham is actually better kick when comparing to Collins and Ballard. Sure, Graham had a couple of bad kicks today, but Collins was directly responsible for 4 goals as a result of bad kicks and was IMO, the worst Suns KPD today.

As Dew said post-game, we are now preparing for regular season (not to win practice matches) :p
Collins was very poor.
Showed no composure on a number of occasions.
He looked very rusty.

It kinda went as predicted, the overly tall forward-line didn't work at all, the combination of Collins and Graham is critical error central out of defence and Lukousoius was near invisible in the forward/wing role.

I think if dew smartens up early in the season and addresses those deficiencies then the team will play well this year, but he generally likes to stick to his plans.

Long and farrar were good, Davies decent, but overall the forward pressure was missing, which was a highlight last year.
Way too early to make any conclusions from practice game when the team focuses on itself, is trying different things, experimenting with roles, putting game time into/preparing players for real games.

I don't make any conclusions from it except I noticed that Rowell looks bloody promising for this season, that I like Uwland how he plays and his kick and that King did not lose his mobility/speed. And that Collins standard of play worries me like last year.

In the first half there was not too much difference between teams, and we showed good pressure at times and couple of times good movement. In general, our midfield got more clearances but turned it over, did not use ball well on spread. Tackling was poor in 3rd quarter, players cruised too much.

For sure, I could name players who looked good or bad but let's wait and see the real stuff, the first 4-5 rounds. Typical example how view/performance can change was Holman this pre-season, who against Essendon was invisible but today looked unbelievable.

BTW, we did not want to show all our tricks today while Longmire was watching :p

BTW, if I remember correctly, there were 13 people sitting on selection committee according to King who visited Suns this week. Hardly only Dew's decisions.

Could you please spell Lukosius name correctly?

Last edited:
Way too early to make any conclusions from practice game when the team focuses on itself, is trying different things, experimenting with roles, putting game time into/preparing players for real games.

I don't make any conclusions from it except I noticed that Rowell looks bloody promising for this season, that I like Uwland how he plays and his kick and that King did not lose his mobility/speed. And that Collins standard of play worries me like last year.

In the first half there was not too much difference between teams, and we showed good pressure at times and couple of times good movement. In general, our midfield got more clearances but turned it over, did not use ball well on spread. Tackling was poor in 3rd quarter, players cruised too much.

For sure, I could name players who looked good or bad but let's wait and see the real stuff, the first 4-5 rounds. Typical example how view/performance can change was Holman this pre-season, who against Essendon was invisible but today looked unbelievable.

BTW, we did not want to show all our tricks today while Longmire was watching :p

BTW, if I remember correctly, there were 13 people sitting on selection committee according to King who visited Suns this week. Hardly only Dew's decisions.

Could you please spell Lukosius name correctly?

On the players, it's conclusions from previous years re affirmed during today's practice game. On the trying to fit 5 tall forwards into the one forward line, it's conclusions drawn from watching the way footy is actually played over the past 10 years. Forward pressure is paramount and a bunch of tall forwards competing for the same ball, trying to sort out leading patterns etc between them, whilst lacking forward pressure when the defenders gain possession, has never worked and likely never will.

On lukosius, it comes up in my auto dictionary, so just assumed it's correct, I might stick to 'luko' if it upsets you 😅.

Positives for the past 2 games

Rowell looking really good, agility much improved. Will be a massive step up on his performance from last year IMO

Davies and Flanders seemingly now both reliable contributors to the midfield, both significantly better players than last year
Whilst the 30 possessions from Flanders was nice and an indicator of how much his work rate has improved, I didn't love the 250m gained - so many 12m kicks, also last match, lots of possessions but not achieving much go forward. Also very few pressure acts given his role. He will play more forward with Miller back.

Long looks like he'll be a solid pick up for us. Athletic, reliable kick. Will be especially important early without Weller / Budders / Powell.

Constable. Been better than I would have expected before this half back role was suggested. Still not convinced he's AFL level though. Disposal efficiency <70% again today despite almost exclusively uncontested ball.

Jeffrey. Thought he was fringe, but had a nice couple of practice matches, works upfield better than I thought.. 11 possessions, 6 marks, 6 tackles, 2 goals today - locked in for rd 1.

King. Seems to have all his pace and agility still. Most important of the above.

Update on injuried players from Dew. Miller in, Ellis probably too. Powell round 1-3, Weller one more month work into him.
Constable in for round 1 looks like.

Dew likes Uwland and me too! He did look nervous early but that risky kick to Farrar in the middle resulting in goal was great.

Quite liked the presser from Dew.

Talked more about how in the past we used practice games to build confidence in a young group now it's more about getting players ready for the season rather than having to instill that confidence with early wins in nothing matches.

There's definitely higher expectations than ever before both internally and externally.

I can't stress enough how big this year is for the club, the leap from 8-12 into the top 4 is the hardest in the AFL and it took us 7 years to get out of the bottom 4. Playing finals this year will not only be a massive confidence boost to the team but also might attract the eyes of some big name free agents to take us to that next step.

The last thing we want to do is flounder around 8-12 like a lot of teams do.

On the players, it's conclusions from previous years re affirmed during today's practice game. On the trying to fit 5 tall forwards into the one forward line, it's conclusions drawn from watching the way footy is actually played over the past 10 years. Forward pressure is paramount and a bunch of tall forwards competing for the same ball, trying to sort out leading patterns etc between them, whilst lacking forward pressure when the defenders gain possession, has never worked and likely never will.

On lukosius, it comes up in my auto dictionary, so just assumed it's correct, I might stick to 'luko' if it upsets you 😅.
It’s not about 5 talls playing together. Dew already said we can’t play 5 but want to see how 4 would go considering King, Chol and Jeffrey got speed and are good below knees, Luko spends most time outside 50, sub rule. Casboult out for me.

Last edited:
Positives.

GWS traded 2 of there best mids last year in Taranto and hopper

Otherwise we’d be stairing at a 100pt defeat
With Green and Callaghan, I can see why GWS were ok losing them, GWS just need to buy in like our group has, I'd love to have a 'franchise final' at metricon to beat our original rival but they have so many future and current stars

I think you've hit the nail on the head, some very obvious problems were there all pre season that we still don't have answers for, we can't afford to play catch up, alot of people are worried about fade outs but look at port adelaide last year, you need to be firing at 100% from Rd 1 and we have too many question marks for my liking. Would love to see 1 more practice match, but now you have to trust in the 5 year process and not the 1 practice match. Very worried for luko, but I think it will have to come from him to go back to the backlines, just dropped a few marks that he really needs to be taking.

Where tf is Rosas?

Very worried for luko, but I think it will have to come from him to go back to the backlines, just dropped a few marks that he really needs to be taking.

Where tf is Rosas?
I think everyone was dropping marks. Ainsworth dropped a sitter, Chol flew and came close but never quite took the marks (until late when the seemed to fall into his hands), even Casboult didn’t clunk them. Uwland spilled it before he had it (but he is a kid, so forgivable).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think everyone was dropping marks. Ainsworth dropped a sitter, Chol flew and came close but never quite took the marks (until late when the seemed to fall into his hands), even Casboult didn’t clunk them. Uwland spilled it before he had it (but he is a kid, so forgivable).
The proof is in his performance, you can dance around it and say everyone else was s**t too, but when has Jack ever looked AFL standard as a fwd, let alone look like he is going to rip a game apart?

It’s not about 5 talls playing together. Dew already said we can’t play 5 but want to see how 4 would go considering King, Chol and Jeffrey got speed and are good below knees, Luko spends most time outside 50, sub rule. Casboult out for me.
You reckon we’ll opt to go in without casboult?

I hope so, but I’m not sure what the coaching staff will do.

With Green and Callaghan, I can see why GWS were ok losing them, GWS just need to buy in like our group has, I'd love to have a 'franchise final' at metricon to beat our original rival but they have so many future and current stars

I think you've hit the nail on the head, some very obvious problems were there all pre season that we still don't have answers for, we can't afford to play catch up, alot of people are worried about fade outs but look at port adelaide last year, you need to be firing at 100% from Rd 1 and we have too many question marks for my liking. Would love to see 1 more practice match, but now you have to trust in the 5 year process and not the 1 practice match. Very worried for luko, but I think it will have to come from him to go back to the backlines, just dropped a few marks that he really needs to be taking.

Where tf is Rosas?

I think Luko will be alright.
Had a decent finish to the year - 16 disposals, 5 marks, 1.8 scoring shots a game (terrible conversion), 0.8 goal assists, 5 score involvements from the last 6 games.

Will still only be 22 for virtually this whole year and would expect him to continue to improve.
I agree that he tends to drop a sitter mark, or have an unforced fumble at an inopportune time a couple of times a game which he'll need to work on.
I'm still confident he'll be a positive player for us this year.

Just my two cents. There were a lot, A LOT of skill errors yesterday. Kicking from the back half was terrible, Collins and Graham the main culprits. Collins had a poor finish to the season, we need him on form or the defence will get exposed.

Also thought we looked a bit slow in midfield, Swallow in particular looked to be running in sand chasing the GWS players.

On the up side Rowell and Flanders looked good. No need to panic but clearly improvement is needed.

You reckon we’ll opt to go in without casboult?

I hope so, but I’m not sure what the coaching staff will do.
I would.

Selection committee will certainly not drop King and Luko and I very much doubt they would drop Chol. So it's most probably between Casboult and Jeffrey. Jeffrey had good practice games, good speed, great skills and is a good finisher. IMO, people overvalue Casboult.

I would.

Selection committee will certainly not drop King and Luko and I very much doubt they would drop Chol. So it's most probably between Casboult and Jeffrey. Jeffrey had good practice games, good speed, great skills and is a good finisher. IMO, people overvalue Casboult.
Agreed, Jeffery has to play from what I've seen.

Yeah as much as I like what casboult can offer as the crash the packs fwd I think chol has to be that man now. Jeffery is that something different in the jack gunston mould that is hard to match up on and can play high or deep fwd.

IMO, we have 2 perfect KPFs now to work together, King and Chol. Of course, it may take King half season to get into it (similar to Hipwood last season). It may take some time to gel.

King scored 47 goals before ACL when we played him mostly as a sole KPF due to injuries. When opposition will now try to double/triple him, there is Chol and Jeffrey who IMO is not KPF and reminds me Gunston. So, we got 202cm (100kg) and 200 cm (95kg) KPFs and one freakishly skilled forward. All fast, skilled below knees. No doubt both King and Chol can crash packs too without killing teammates. For me, Casboult is perfect depth - yes, crashes packs, has great mark but is not fast, poor skills below knees and can't last the season most probably.

Add Luko's delivery and him occasionally going inside 50 combined with Holman, Ainsworth, Rosas - looks very good to me.

IMO, Luko showed enough promise in new position last year despite injuries. Let's evaluate at bye. He should benefit greatly from hopefully improved midfield this year.

I would.

Is it certain that they don't play all of them?
Clearly King, Chol and Lukosius are selected.
Jeffrey had 2 really good games. 6 tackles and 16 pressure acts (top 5-6 in the team) this week. Had an inside 50 holding the ball tackle against Essendon. Definitely showed he isn't a defensive liability and should be selected regardless IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them take Casboult as well for maybe 2 weeks until King really up and firing.
Maybe each of them play 60 - 80% game time.

IMO, we have 2 perfect KPFs now to work together, King and Chol. Of course, it may take King half season to get into it (similar to Hipwood last season). It may take some time to gel.

King scored 47 goals before ACL when we played him mostly as a sole KPF due to injuries. When opposition will now try to double/triple him, there is Chol and Jeffrey who IMO is not KPF and reminds me Gunston. So, we got 202cm (100kg) and 200 cm (95kg) KPFs and one freakishly skilled forward. All fast, skilled below knees. No doubt both King and Chol can crash packs too without killing teammates. For me, Casboult is perfect depth - yes, crashes packs, has great mark but is not fast, poor skills below knees and can't last the season most probably.

Add Luko's delivery and him occasionally going inside 50 combined with Holman, Ainsworth, Rosas - looks very good to me.

IMO, Luko showed enough promise in new position last year despite injuries. Let's evaluate at bye. He should benefit greatly from hopefully improved midfield this year.
Personally I agree with you and would start like this from round 1.

Just not sure that's what we will actually see for the first few rounds.

Definitely this will be the set up by second half of the year.

Is it certain that they don't play all of them?
Clearly King, Chol and Lukosius are selected.
Jeffrey had 2 really good games. 6 tackles and 16 pressure acts (top 5-6 in the team) this week. Had an inside 50 holding the ball tackle against Essendon. Definitely showed he isn't a defensive liability and should be selected regardless IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them take Casboult as well for maybe 2 weeks until King really up and firing.
Maybe each of them play 60 - 80% game time.
Dew was pretty adamant that we can't play all 5 of them together in one of his interviews. I am pretty sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back