Mega Thread The hunt for a new senior coach

Who will be coaching Port Adelaide in 2013? (3rd Poll)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One interesting factor out of all of this - if, as we are led to believe, that we had a 'senior' mentor lined up, would this impact on the mentor still coming and/or will he have some input into the new coaching appointment.

One interesting factor out of all of this - if, as we are led to believe, that we had a 'senior' mentor lined up, would this impact on the mentor still coming and/or will he have some input into the new coaching appointment.
... or will he be the new coach?

The best we can hope for is an experienced assistant from another club that sees they have little hope of getting a senior gig at any club doing even reasonably well and therefore will be willing to take the huge gamble of coaching us. We will have to settle for who we can get not who we want.
What about Ratten? Surely he will be available just after Mickey "I will not take a coaching job off of someone who is contracted, but I will immediately after they are sacked" Mouse gets the Carlton job at the end of the season.

With Matthew Primus not being offered the optional 3rd year of his contract for 2013 the club will once again begin the long search for a new senior coach in 2013. With the 'Port Adelaide' well dry, the next appointment will surely be external.

Some names that have already cropped up are: Scott Burns, Leon Cameron, Ken Hinkley, Alan Richardson and Rodney Eade.

Some more polarising names include: Shaun Rehn, Mark Bickley, Nathan Bassett, Dean Laidley and Garry Hocking

And for the LOLs and 'not a chance in hell' names: Paul Roos and Mick Malthouse.

There are many more candidates out there that than those that have been named, such as Gary Ayres and Nigel Lappin. Right now, we're the only club looking for a senior coach so we own the market, it is imperative we make the most of this time as it's highly likely that a second club will be on the lookout for a senior coach.

The club has announced that the hunt for a new senior coach has begun in earnest. Let the games begin...

The AFL website view on potential candidates: In the frame

Here are 3 from the article:

Link
Scott Burns
HIGHLY rated West Coast assistant who has been spoken of as a future senior coach. Was considered a strong chance of landing both the Adelaide and Melbourne coaching jobs last year before they were given to Brenton Sanderson and Mark Neeld respectively. His South Australian origins may appeal to the Power.

Rodney Eade
It is hard to imagine why Eade would want the job, given he seems very happy with his low-pressure role as director of coaching at Collingwood. But the 54-year-old is a competitive man, and he has a great record of turning around under-performing teams. He took the Sydney Swans to a Grand Final in his first year at the club, then led the Western Bulldogs from the lower rungs of the ladder to three consecutive preliminary finals.

Leon Cameron
A former Western Bulldogs and Richmond player who is an assistant coach at Hawthorn, Cameron was seen a certainty to land the top job at the Dogs late last year, only to be overlooked for Brendan McCartney. Renowned as a having a great football brain, the 39-year-old has learned plenty about building a winning culture from his time at the Hawks.
Link

I'll stick my hand up for the job.

Actually... they should have auctioned off the last 4 games to the supporters:

"Coach PAFC for a week"
- highest bidder wins the right to coach the team for a week.
- attend coaching/planning meetings.
- attended training sessions.
- have final say in selections and positions.
- fly and stay with team (when away).
- deliver pre-game and in-game address speeches.
- receive an "honorary coach" plaque as a keepsake.

Hey... can't go much worse, connects with supporters, and raises debt reduction funds. :p

I obviously missed all the Malthouse interviews where he said his roots are planted in Vic. Have I also missed something with Leigh Tudor? Is it just that he's hiding away in Sydney and people have forgotten him or he's just happy there?

In 2010 I remember Ford was a big fan which made me look a bit deeper at him. He has good runs on the board but no one other than me and another are throwing his name up, interesting.

The AFL website view on potential candidates: In the frame

Here are 3 from the article:

Link

Link

No thanks to Cameron... we don't need a "smart" coach trying to be too clever for our players (Primus and his full reliance on KPIs is evidence of that). Wouldn't mind either of Burns or Eade from those 3.

Scott Burns would be my numero uno. Would have learnt a lot at two very good football clubs in Collingwood and West Coast. I was at the Eagles post match function a few weeks ago and he spoke really well, would clear out a lot I imagine. Would love a senior body in there with him though, someone like an Ayres maybe.

Scott Burns would be my numero uno. Would have learnt a lot at two very good football clubs in Collingwood and West Coast. I was at the Eagles post match function a few weeks ago and he spoke really well, would clear out a lot I imagine. Would love a senior body in there with him though, someone like an Ayres maybe.
Liked, quoted, quietly fingered.

Burns/Ayres 2013!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As soon as I heard the news yesterday the name Scott Burns immediately popped into my head.

Out of the untried assistants floating around out there he is the only one I would be happy with.

Tudor is my first choice as per avatar. Has been in the coaching ranks long enough, doesn't need 'senior assistants' and has been in a top 2 club everywhere he goes.

Burns would be okay if we can get Ayers or Walsh.

Eade I would avoid at all costs.

tbh I don't know enough about any of them but i'd be happy with Burns, Tudor, Eade or Cameron. They would all come in and give us the cleanout we need.

well surely if we weren't an enticing prospect a couple of years ago we are by now. does that make sense? the achievement of bringing this club from the brink of death is surely far greater now that we've truly gone through the mile thick s**t.

Tudor is my first choice as per avatar. Has been in the coaching ranks long enough, doesn't need 'senior assistants' and has been in a top 2 club everywhere he goes.

Burns would be okay if we can get Ayers or Walsh.

Eade I would avoid at all costs.

Never considered Tudor until this thread... his credentials looks impressive:

- with Geelong VFL for their VFL flag in 2007
- with St Kilda AFL from 2009 until 2011... during their shot at flags.
- with Sydney AFL in 2012... and they're going pretty good with a working class list.

Yeah... I'm jumping to the Tudor wagon.

well surely if we weren't an enticing prospect a couple of years ago we are by now. does that make sense? the achievement of bringing this club from the brink of death is surely far greater now that we've truly gone through the mile thick s**t.
Absolutely agree. If the cull is as far-reaching as KT is suggesting, candidates will be plentiful. In fact, interested parties are probably updating the Powerpoint as we speak.

Would be happy with Burns if accompanied by Ayres. Would be freakin' stoked if Burns packed Walsh in his suitcase!
fap fap fap fap fap

Burns/Ayres/Walsh premiers 2014

Anyone know the contract status of Walsh at West Coast? Would Burns even be able to bring him with him?
We better hope that all of the current assistants who might be candidates, all have the 'if I get a senior job' out clause in their current contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back