2014 AFL Hall of Fame inductees

Remove this Banner Ad

Never heard of Ernest Renfry the third, so I won't comment on him

The Hall of Fame inductions for McLeod, Johnson, Tredrea and Richo are all richly deserved. All of them were undisputed champions of the game. Anyone who says otherwise is talking through their arse. But it's got me stumped how Koutoufides has leap-frogged over 20 more worthy candidates.

Overrated.

Kouta was brilliant in 1995 and quite awesome from 2000 to 2001, but he wasn't particularly good in any of his other seasons. 3 or 4 great years doesn't equal a Hall of fame career. I reckon Kouta was always a much-hyped player who never quite lived up to the "superman" tag he earned in 1995 and 2000. He went missing for a few years in the late 90's. It was the common subject on talkback radio: What's wrong with Kouta?

He was okay at CHB in 1999 and had a great year when moved on-ball in 2000. Then he ruptured an ACL in 2001 and was never much good after that. He lost most of the athleticism which made him so great in 2000. He just a big-bodied clearance winner, but not silky-skilled. He won a B&F for a horrible wooden spoon side.

I would put him equal with Corey McKernan, as someone who blew the competition apart for 3 or 4 seasons, but wasn't so hot for most of his career.

Here's 30+ footballers who had better careers than Kouta but who aren't in the Hall of Fame: Ben Cousins, Jason Akermanis, Anthony Stevens, Nigel Lappin, Stewart Loewe, Nathan Burke, David Cloke, Barry Hall, Wayne Schwass, Rohan Smith, Tony Liberatore, Gary Buckenara, Chris Mew, Russell Greene, Wayne Johnston, Brett Ratten, Andrew McKay, Ben Hart, Simon Goodwin, Shannon Grant, Adam Simpson, Paul Couch, Chris Johnson, Justin Leppitsch, Chris Mainwaring, Tyson Edwards, Wayne Campbell, Matthew Knights, Adem Yze, David Neitz, Roger Merrett, Fraser Gehrig.
I love Smithy and Libba Snr as much as anyone does, but putting them above or equal to Kouta is just wrong. Very good players but they weren't anywhere near his class when he was at his peak.

I can only assume that you are taking the piss with Burke, McKay, Couch and Yze? I really hope you are.

Brown>Riewoldt>>Tredrea>>>>>Pav, if we're talking about CHF's.

Hahaha Brown that's a good one. Brown will probably get into the HOF because of his standing in the game, but in terms of performance over the journey he is behind the likes of Riewoldt and Tredrea. He had 2 or 3 genuinely elite seasons and 2 AA guernseys. Good but not HOF good.

If people are going to argue that 3 premierships should get him in, then he's still behind Voss, Akermanis, Black, Lappin, Leppitsch, Johnson and Lynch who also had AA guernseys and had far more to do with the 3 premierships than Brown did.

All inductees are more than worthy of their spots in the HOF and I'm struggling to fathom the scepticism to be honest.

- Whilst Kouta wasn't elite over a long period, you cannot underestimate just how dominant he was over that 3-4 year period (late 90's-early 200's). He, in a lot of ways created the prototype for the way that the modern day midfielder is looked at. Tall. powerful and athletic: Clubs are still always on the lookout for players that have similar attributes to Kouta. He's best was phenomenal and for this alone he deserves his spot.

- Tredrea has probably been the most influential player in Port Adelaide's history for mine. His leadership and on-field performances up to the mid 2000's were truly remarkable. Powerful forward and at his best he was near on unstoppable. Whilst obviously not in the same class as Carey and probably a rung below Riewoldt and Brown in terms of ability, Tredrea's tremendous output and legacy on the game can never be underestimated.

- Richo was a freak, no doubt it. Whilst his set shot kicking could be frustrating at times, he's definitely been one of the most exciting players that I've seen play. Almost single handily carried Richmond throughout most of his career and for mine he truly was the heartbeat of the tigers. Showed his versatility in adapting to the modern game (in his latter years) by playing a high half forward/wing role and nearly won a Brownlow doing it. He was an absolute gun.

- Brad Johnson is a true legend of the game and pound for pound was one of the best footballers going around in the AFL throughout a good chunk of his career. Anyone that doesn't recognize how good he was truly has no idea about the game or just didn't bother watching the doggies enough in order to make a genuine opinion about him. He was one of a kind make no mistake about that.

- I never seen Ern Henfry play, so I can't really judge him all that well. But to walk into a club and captain them to a premiership in your first year there, that really is some achievement.

It would be nice if people on here actually put their egos and biases aside when commenting on these topics, but you can't have it all I guess.

And to all the real young one's on here that have barely seen anyone of these people play (if at all!) pull your your heads in. Do you really feel that important debating and putting forth your stupid, negative opinions about these players? You're just keyboard warriors and uninformed one's at that. Nobody with any sense is taking you seriously unless it's to demoralize you.

Hahaha Brown that's a good one. Brown will probably get into the HOF because of his standing in the game, but in terms of performance over the journey he is behind the likes of Riewoldt and Tredrea. He had 2 or 3 genuinely elite seasons and 2 AA guernseys. Good but not HOF good.

If people are going to argue that 3 premierships should get him in, then he's still behind Voss, Akermanis, Black, Lappin, Leppitsch, Johnson and Lynch who also had AA guernseys and had far more to do with the 3 premierships than Brown did.
You genuinely think Brown's best isn't superior to any of these other lads? The CHF's I mean.

You genuinely think Brown's best isn't superior to any of these other lads? The CHF's I mean.

His best isn't superior to any of Hall, Riewoldt or Tredrea. Might be on a par, but certainly not superior.

His best isn't superior to any of Hall, Riewoldt or Tredrea. Might be on a par, but certainly not superior.

Exactly what Macca said.

His best is champion level as a CHF. However, there have been several guys who have been just as good or better and maintained their peak for much longer.

As I said, I think Brown will get in because he has an enormous media profile to go with his resume. He hasn't been a better player over the journey than Riewoldt, Hall or Tredrea and doesn't have the resume of those three.

Brown was highly touted for years between his emergence as a gun CHF and his period of dominance, and people were calling him the best since Carey etc on the assumption that he'd maintain that 2007-09 form for 5 or 6 years. For various reasons he didn't. Meanwhile Nick Riewoldt has been a champion CHF for a decade.

Exactly what Macca said.

His best is champion level as a CHF. However, there have been several guys who have been just as good or better and maintained their peak for much longer.

As I said, I think Brown will get in because he has an enormous media profile to go with his resume. He hasn't been a better player over the journey than Riewoldt, Hall or Tredrea and doesn't have the resume of those three.

Brown was highly touted for years between his emergence as a gun CHF and his period of dominance, and people were calling him the best since Carey etc on the assumption that he'd maintain that 2007-09 form for 5 or 6 years. For various reasons he didn't. Meanwhile Nick Riewoldt has been a champion CHF for a decade.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I hardly think that Brown doesn't have the resume similar if not better to those players you mentioned.

Although I'm not one that usually refers to stats but Brown has kicked more goals and taken more marks from less games then Tredrea (yes it's not comprehensive but it's usually a good indication of how CHF's are measured), Hall hasn't always been specifically a CHF and he's a very different player to Brown so I'm not going to go there. Riewoldt yes there's probably a reasonable argument to say he's better than Brown, but I know who's hands I'd rather have the ball in to win a close game.

Severely underrating J.Brown here I think, but that's your call.

Koutoufides should not have been inducted either. I have no interest in comparing players but looking back on their careers now as a Hawthorn supporter with no bias and a strong hate for Carlton, his heights were far greater than Johnson's.
How does Kouta's record with his goals tally, games tally, AA reps, B & Fs and AFL honours compare to Dipper and Long who are in the HOF?

Arguably the player who started the AFL push to recruit athletes from other sports. Everyone wanted quick players who could run all day. A game changer who was harder to stop than Rioli and Pendlebury.

How does Kouta's record with his goals tally, games tally, AA reps, B & Fs and AFL honours compare to Dipper and Long who are in the HOF?

Arguably the player who started the AFL push to recruit athletes from other sports. Everyone wanted quick players who could run all day. A game changer who was harder to stop than Rioli and Pendlebury.

The whole premise of my argument (which I have made several posts on) is around the diluting of the HOF pool in order to increase the legend category. If you had researched you would already know I have questioned a Hawthorn players standing in the HOF.

My main issue was with Johnson, and a WB fan called me on it and made the comparison of Kouta. The genesis of the problem is the 10% rule. I believe it can be raised and still preserve the category.

Brown>Riewoldt>>Tredrea>>>>>Pav, if we're talking about CHF's.
Switch Tredrea and Pavlich, then flip it completely, and I might agree with you

If you don't get what Im saying, Tredrea>>>>>Pav>>Riewoldt>Brown

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I'd have Riewoldt>Pav>Brown>Tredrea, but we all see different things I suppose.

Do you really believe that Pavlich has been a better CHF than Riewoldt and Brown?
Are we talking about their very best or their career?

If it's the career, easily better than Brown, and very, very close with Reiwoldt.

But at their best? Probably not.

But I don't care about their very best. 1 season, a career, does not make..............Unless you're Kouta.

Are we talking about their very best or their career?

If it's the career, easily better than Brown, and very, very close with Reiwoldt.

But at their best? Probably not.

But I don't care about their very best. 1 season, a career, does not make..............Unless you're Kouta.
At CHF in general?

Sigh.

He kicked 80 odd goals and captained his team to the flag, wtf more can one do?

2004 Treadrea 15.6 disposals 7.7 marks 3.2 goals .68 brownlow votes

2004 riewoldt 17.3 disposals 10.2 marks 2.7 goals .77 brownlow votes

You could argue it either way. I'd say riewoldt had a better year but whichever way you argue there wasn't a whole lot in it.

It was an utter joke to put 5 recently retired so called greats in the HOF at the one time, and only add one from more than 10 years ago, let alone 100 years ago.

This article should be read by all football fans at some point;

http://australianfootball.com/artic...e+of+the+Australian+Football+Hall+of+Fame/802

All of the players of the first 50 years of Australian Rules Football are represented in a measly percentage of 5% in the HOF, that's just plain wrong.

It was an utter joke to put 5 recently retired so called greats in the HOF at the one time, and only add one from more than 10 years ago, let alone 100 years ago.

This article should be read by all football fans at some point;

http://australianfootball.com/articles/view/Neglected+heroes%3A+The+sad+case+of+the+Australian+Football+Hall+of+Fame/802

All of the players of the first 50 years of Australian Rules Football are represented in a measly percentage of 5% in the HOF, that's just plain wrong.
I haven't read it fully, but when I tried months ago, I went.
1) Best article in a long time, if ever
2) Too long to bother now finding out who he'd put in.

But I agree. We probably need a class next year of 100 people, with 1 criteria. 'Can not have played VFL/AFL footy after the year 1960' 100 selections like that will cover those pioneers, greats of eras we don't know much about, and cover the more recent non-Victorians who deserve to be there who aren't.

And having an historian would be great too, someone who can push past greats.

I think last year about this time I argued that they should do an SA focused HoF. Based around McLeod, Tredrea and upgrading Ebert or Blight to Legend status. There's plenty of SA guys who deserve to get in such as Redden.

Absolutely not...a player that was nearly this and nearly that... Big deal..
Nearly, what are you on about, most goals at the home of football the MCG, 800 goals in total, 3 x AA, 1x B&F lead Richmond goal kicking on 13 occasions, Tassie team of the Century.

Your not one of these odd people that count Premierships won as a significance in what is an individual award?

Richo was for 16 years one of the best contested marks in the comp, and a great athlete right to the end of his career absolutely deserves his spot.

How many of those 74 were little cherry-picking cheapies out the back of the pack?

When you're shown to be wrong just concede as much, everyone is wrong sometimes :) Don't dig a bigger hole for yourself with crap like this, it's embarrassing :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back