Delisted 20. Ryan Gardner (2016 - 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys.

Ryan is from the same area of NW Tassie as me, and we played in an U17s premiership for Redpa together about 5 years ago (he was only 13). Pumped to see someone from the same small place as me get drafted! Especially to such a good club where he will no doubt be well looked after.
Thanks for the little bit of insight. My last connection to a player was Josh Hunt. Now I'm old as balls and refer to players as 'kids'. It happens so fast.

And might I add this, the sooner the beautiful state of Tassie gets a team the better our national competition will be. I'd rather prop up a team in a footy proud state than 10 in Melbourne, many that have had ample decades to become viable.

Hell while I'm feeling generous send one to Darwin. Might be the perfect tonic for the boring football Ross Lyon delivers. A club in a town that demands exciting footy from their locals who deliver it in spades from what I've seen.

OK that go a little off topic.

Hey guys.

Ryan is from the same area of NW Tassie as me, and we played in an U17s premiership for Redpa together about 5 years ago (he was only 13). Pumped to see someone from the same small place as me get drafted! Especially to such a good club where he will no doubt be well looked after.
Tasmanians...gentlemen! Great comments and much appreciated. My last two kids were born in Hobart...always proud Tasmanians. LOVE the ISLAND.

That's Kyle Galloway - 206cm, 105kgs.

Imagine the cost of feeding that kid.

There are a number of giant kids these days that were not around when I was a kid.
In fact, when I was at Tech School the head prefect was Larry Donahue and I thought he was an absolute giant at 196cm and 97 Kgs. A dime a dozen today.

Tasmanians...gentlemen! Great comments and much appreciated. My last two kids were born in Hobart...always proud Tasmanians. LOVE the ISLAND.

Where were they Sired SOM?:D

Hey guys.

That's so great of you to post here, StKing11 :thumbsu: :rainbow:
If you've read our posts about Gardner, I think you'll know how excited we are to have him play for Geelong.

Wow! Gardner played in an U17's premiership for Redpa, with you, when he was 13 :eek: Awesome!!!

Now, looking at your avatar :eek:, I would 'like' to ask, you were, *cough* how *cough* old *cough*? :p :D

But I'm a laydeeeee, so I couldn't possibly ask + be soooooooo rude! ;)

StKing11, what do you think are his best qualities?

How about a little insight into Gardner's draft night?

On Tuesday night, because the Gardner family doesn't have Foxtel, nor adequate Internet, they drove to their Granny's home, where the Internet was wonky too! Next the headed to the local Pub, where the Publican kindly gave them a private room to watch the draft.

"A couple of hours later, Ryan’s dad, Steven, was running around the pub cheering as the Cats helped his son realise a long-held dream, drafting him with their first selection at pick 59.

“It was pretty amazing. My dad launched up and ran around the pub, out and then back in and everyone was wondering what he was doing,” Ryan said with a laugh on Wednesday."
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...y/news-story/2b8392ca8d404f4e41563de7c13c502a

What a :cool: story! :thumbsu: :rainbow:

That's so great of you to post here, StKing11 :thumbsu: :rainbow:
If you've read our posts about Gardner, I think you'll know how excited we are to have him play for Geelong.

Wow! Gardner played in an U17's premiership for Redpa, with you, when he was 13 :eek: Awesome!!!

Now, looking at your avatar :eek:, I would 'like' to ask, you were, *cough* how *cough* old *cough*? :p :D

But I'm a laydeeeee, so I couldn't possibly ask + be soooooooo rude! ;)

StKing11, what do you think are his best qualities?
Well I haven't seen him play for a couple of years so I couldn't tell ya too much about him, but he's obviously tall and athletic which is a good start for a key defender. His old man was a real gun footballer down here for years, so he's got the genes in him :thumbsu:

By the way the story that you mentioned above about draft night, that pub is probably a 30 second drive from my place. Should've went down and brought him and beer after his name got called out!

Well I haven't seen him play for a couple of years so I couldn't tell ya too much about him, but he's obviously tall and athletic which is a good start for a key defender. His old man was a real gun footballer down here for years, so he's got the genes in him :thumbsu:

By the way the story that you mentioned above about draft night, that pub is probably a 30 second drive from my place. Should've went down and brought him and beer after his name got called out!
You DO know what having the 'genes' in him means, don't you? ;)

Ooooooooh! Wish you'd have known, StKing11! You'd have had an absolute ball with his Dad, Steven, tearing about the Pub, celebrating!

I think you'll enjoy watching Gardner develop, as much as we wil! I do hope you'll pop in here now + then to celebrate each of his milestones?

Love having oppo team supporters like you visiting our board :thumbsu: :rainbow:

Posting this for those who may not have read it -

"Gardner shot to prominence after a brilliant performance in the Allies team that played in a curtain-raiser before the AFL Grand Final.

But Wells was impressed by him before then.

“He did a good job for Tasmania in the under-18 championships,” Wells said.

“He did a decent job on Grand Final day, but also playing senior football [for the Burnie Dockers] against some guys that have had senior AFL experience was part of the overall package that we took into account.”
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-11-25/plenty-of-work-ahead-for-draftees-wells

The guy that did it to Thurlow got rubbed out and missed a flag. The old karma bus reversed back over him.
Blokes name was brent milverton...not tough at all in fact weak as pi&@ one of those dogs with no balls who picks on young blokes when they are not looking..has a history ....people have long memories

(Log in to remove this ad.)

r0_0_991_665_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

From http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/3518935/still-dreaming/

Thanks for the input ... we certainly do not mind tas as a place to recruit from...maybe we feel the kids will not fear the weather in Geelong. But If young Gardner can develop into Thurlows and Kolo's backline partner we are well on the way to having a green backline.

"Nervous Gardner now a cool Cat

A Carlton supporter growing up, Gardner said he would happily swap allegiances and was looking forward to the first day at his new job.

"I'm just happy that it has happened and I've got an opportunity to try my best," he said. "I just got off the phone to Geelong and I fly out Thursday and Friday is my first training session."
http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/3516277/nervous-gardner-now-a-cool-cat/

"Nervous Gardner now a cool Cat

A Carlton supporter growing up, Gardner said he would happily swap allegiances and was looking forward to the first day at his new job.

"I'm just happy that it has happened and I've got an opportunity to try my best," he said. "I just got off the phone to Geelong and I fly out Thursday and Friday is my first training session."
http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/3516277/nervous-gardner-now-a-cool-cat/

Which Navy Blue and White club would you prefer ... I suspect that very quickly he will be happy to be at KP

I like the fact he is a tall - maybe KPD size and has some speed to go with it. Now I have no idea if this kid will make it and I have never seen him before but if Wells took him as our first pick then he saw some potential in him and above that of the other 3 draftees we also took.

Of course I want every pick we have to turn to gold but if we can get 1 player from our picks (4 ND and maybe 3 Rookie picks) that would be ok with me. But you never know we could get two players from the 7 picks ?

And these guys will have time on their side as GFC is likely to give them all 2 seasons, maybe 3, to see if they can produce something. It is likely we will have quite a big turn over again next season which ensures these guys get 2-3 seasons to prove themselves.

Delaney on the Rookie draft needs to get fit and play some VFL games soon or his spot may go at the end of 2016.

I am guessing that Boris and Lonergan will retire at the end of 2016. Maybe Bartel but probably not. Then McCarthy or Cowan or Menzel or Vardy if he cannot get fit and stay fit - they could be likely candidates for being delisted.

Not sure how much longer Smedts and maybe even Kersten could be less secure at the club if he fails to get much senior time in 2016.

Not sure on Murdoch either. He has some good qualities - fast legs and long kicking - nice height - 60 senior games experience. he should be ready to go and grow from here. But he seems to have stalled. He would not be in my best 22 if we had a full list. he would make the Top 30 but not the top 25. So he seems to have fallen back relative to players, who have a lot less experience, in Kolo, Lang, Gregson, Cocky, Bews, Thurlow and Vardy. These seem the likely to make it list from our young ones coming thru and even though they do not directly all play a position Murdoch would, there are only ever a few spots up each week and GFC wants to get time into these boys if last season was an indication of their intent.

So again we could lose 4, 5 or even 6 players at the end of 2016. This will help give Ryan Gardner a few seasons to mature and maybe he then might become something. These high turn overs, especially this season, at least ensure a lot of new blood into the team. If Wells and Co. get it largely right and the players stay healthy then they could be the years that set us up for another good run for quite a few seasons.

Hey guys.

Respect for Circular Head!

NW Tassie pumps out great sporting talent, one of the many reasons I think a Tassie AFL team would be a success.

Thanks for the input ... we certainly do not mind tas as a place to recruit from...maybe we feel the kids will not fear the weather in Geelong. But If young Gardner can develop into Thurlows and Kolo's backline partner we are well on the way to having a green backline.
Don't forget KK, Turbo.... ;)

Don't forget KK, Turbo.... ;)

Maybe he will , maybe he will not... getting him in 12 month time might be difficult as we have traded our R1 out. Id still think the odds of a Brother amalgamation is more likely in red than blue and white hoops.

Bringing in player like Gardner covers long term occurrences ..in more way than one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back