Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

It's almost like young players are inconsistent. And that talls struggle in the wet especially in games their teams lose with limited i50s

Way too logical a thought process there. :p

In all seriousness though, who would have thought. Agree 100% with those saying it wasn't a great game from him, it wasn't. But he was completely starved of any real opportunity.

Fremantle need more games at the MCG, one a year if we are lucky is not enough. But with hindsight some
players haven't shown up at the ground at all.
As a team we had several passengers tonight, next year should be better, when we can spread the load
in the forward line.
Add Bennell, Yarren, Apeness, Smith, cross fingers McCarthy, and the heat goes off Tabs.

I really like Maggie and he's pretty much all we have. But sheesh, he really needs some aggression. Some arrogance. Some "* you, I'm gonna take a hanger over the top of you, kick the goal, and then I'm gonna * your girlfriend" attitude.

Sometimes he appears almost apologetic for being out there.

I'm hoping he'll blossom further when Pav retires.

How many times has the ball been put to the defenders advantage?
Like every ******* time.

Far from our worst on what was a terrible night to be a Freo tall. Why bump this?
You'd ******* hate to have been a forward. That was ****ed.

Does not deserve a roasting when the midfield could barely get it to him and when they did they never kicked to his advantage.

Disappointing when he missed that set shot though. Should have done better there.

Ling knows nothing.
*en right.

40 metres out and you can't even make the distance.. I'd be more confident kicking sos rolls from 40 out. he just gets absolutely bullied by defenders.. his confidence always looks shot.

kid lacks any type of footy IQ, just a guy with a perfect frame for footy but not that good at footy unfortunately. could be a decent WAFL forward.

Entry into forward fifty was so bad I am sure Collingwood would have set a record for intercept marks (geez we made Marsh look good).
Are they really intercept marks if we kick them straight into the chest of the opposition?

It wasn't a great night for tabs sure. But it wasn't a great night for anyone in our team. I'm not going to roast a kid over a night where the standard of football was deplorable by everyone on the ground, especially after he's had aushc a great few games beforehand.

Tabs has shown plenty this season to show he can football to an extent, and that he will be a good forward for us. He's not going to win a Brownlow or a Coleman, he just needs to be consistent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

40 metres out and you can't even make the distance.. I'd be more confident kicking sos rolls from 40 out. he just gets absolutely bullied by defenders.. his confidence always looks shot.
kid lacks any type of footy IQ, just a guy with a perfect frame for footy but not that good at footy unfortunately. could be a decent WAFL forward.
But is still ranked 12 on the AFL list for contested marks this year?
He is 40 games into an AFL career and a lot of them he was subbed off in! Give the kid a break, he is traveling fine!

Lingy was talking crap. He, like many commentators, likes to pick a narrative within a game to focus on and often it's picking on individual players. He just flat out invented the 'Taberner needs to compete better' theme on the right as if this was a genuinely aspect of his play that everybody knows is a issue. Toss! He competes brilliantly and often halves contests. His problems are more decision making and positioning (leading patterns), which have been improving as well. Making s**t up and sticking to it is easier than research or actually watching all 9 games a week like you get paid to though.

Many viewers then pick this talk up. Like Fyfe being a poor shot for goal (he has always had a good set shot record. Even before his famous GF misses).

Fremantle need more games at the MCG, one a year if we are lucky is not enough. But with hindsight some
players haven't shown up at the ground at all.
As a team we had several passengers tonight, next year should be better, when we can spread the load
in the forward line.
Add Bennell, Yarren, Apeness, Smith, cross fingers McCarthy, and the heat goes off Tabs.
That would be a totally different firward line if that was the case... Still. When freo beat the Lions and Power, Tanner Smith and Tabs looked decent as out 2 talls up forward.

Next year he will kick 40+
Unlikely. be awesome if he did.

I would still be happy if he played 20 games next year and kick 30 goals. That wouldnt be beyond him especially if he kicks 1 bag of 5 like he did vs the lions

Again playing with Pav, doesn't seem to gel. Pavlich is so often the focus points of the long kicks that Tabs' good leads and hard work hardly get rewarded. Really frustrating. Same old "Kick it to Pav and Hope" tactic.
Thought Tabs did well at times tonight, he did have two good marks. But when the ball isn't coming into the 50 as much and as poorly as it was, hardly much to do.
Same s**t tactic for 10 years, you'd think commonsense would occur and the players would hit up leads and not be as predictable, but no, we still fail at that. When Pav isn't out there, Tabs plays well, so the players should have more confidence to kick it to him. I'd rather we kick it on Tabs head than Pav nowadays anyway.

Lingy was talking crap. He, like many commentators, likes to pick a narrative within a game to focus on and often it's picking on individual players. He just flat out invented the 'Taberner needs to compete better' theme on the right as if this was a genuinely aspect of his play that everybody knows is a issue. Toss! He competes brilliantly and often halves contests. His problems are more decision making and positioning (leading patterns), which have been improving as well. Making s**t up and sticking to it is easier than research or actually watching all 9 games a week like you get paid to though.

Many viewers then pick this talk up. Like Fyfe being a poor shot for goal (he has always had a good set shot record. Even before his famous GF misses).
Perfectly put! Ling wouldn't have a clue who Taberner is, in fact all media twats like Ling/Brown/Richo/Darcy have no idea about him, but they all feel the need to make idiotic calls that prove they don't watch freo games. VFL commentating is strong, Ling wouldn't dare say anything about Hawkins or Motlop though.

Perfectly put! Ling wouldn't have a clue who Taberner is, in fact all media twats like Ling/Brown/Richo/Darcy have no idea about him, but they all feel the need to make idiotic calls that prove they don't watch freo games. VFL commentating is strong, Ling wouldn't dare say anything about Hawkins or Motlop though.

Brown actually rates him. He was commentating a few weeks back (probably against Brisbane) and heard him a few other times give him kudos. He says a lot of good about Tabs but usually mentions he needs stickier hands (obviously). Brown is actually fairly lenient on Freo commentary, must have a soft spot for us.

Brown actually rates him. He was commentating a few weeks back (probably against Brisbane) and heard him a few other times give him kudos. He says a lot of good about Tabs but usually mentions he needs stickier hands (obviously). Brown is actually fairly lenient on Freo commentary, must have a soft spot for us.
Mooney as well. Maybe they understand what it's like to be a key forward or something...

Brown isn't the brightest man ever but I get that impression that he at least bothers to watch most games on the weekend properly which is more than I say for a lot of the other clowns. He is one of the better guys in the media for mine. (Well at least when he is talking about Brisbane)

Brown isn't the brightest man ever but I get that impression that he at least bothers to watch most games on the weekend properly which is more than I say for a lot of the other clowns. He is one of the better guys in the media for mine. (Well at least when he is talking about Brisbane)

Both him and Barry Hall do not have the most "intelligent-sounding" voices but I actually like the stuff they say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back