Game Day Prelim Finals 2016...the Swans v Cats & the Dogs V Giants.

Remove this Banner Ad

That doesn't cancel the misses out, they are still misses

True, but the team didn't go backwards based on the inclusions of the 2011 off season.

Plus I reckon you could go back on draft misses for every team. Imagine Hawthorn drafting Joel Selwood over Mitch Thorp?!

Some more than others obviously. But I reckon we've done pretty well with the picks we've had. We're contending the last couple of years because we've turned late and rookies picks into legitimate contributors at AFL level.

We're probably outside of GF contention because of the picks between 2007 and 2011. Danger departed, Otten, Jacky, Cook, Armstrong, Smack, Davis gone, Lee, Young, Gunston gone, Shaw, Craig, Martin, Kedge, Grigg, Joyce, CEY.

Last edited:

True, but the team didn't go backwards based on the inclusions of the 2011 off season.

Plus I reckon you could back on draft misses for every team. Imagine Hawthorn drafting Joel Selwood over Mitch Thorp?!

Some more than others obviously. But I reckon we've done pretty well with the picks we've had. We're contending the last couple of years because we've turned late and rookies picks into legitimate contributors at AFL level.

We're probably outside of GF contention because of the picks between 2007 and 2011. Danger departed, Otten, Jacky, Cook, Armstrong, Smack, Davis gone, Lee, Young, Gunston gone, Shaw, Craig, Martin, Kedge, Grigg, Joyce, CEY.
Good post, can't argue with any of that

Cats invested a truck load into 2016.

Only draft pick from last year with any promise so far is Menagola (25 next year). Other draft picks Ryan Gardner, Wylie Buzza and Matthew Hayball really no idea if they're going to be any good.

Plus they've lost their first pick this year for Henderson, and finishing 3rd will see their first pick at 34.

Danger and Selwood 39 touches each, next two Enright (26 dis) and Bartel (24 dis) both likely to retire. Duncan and Guthrie on 20 touches an absolute mile behind the blue chippers.

Harry Taylor and Tom Lonergan 31 and 33 next year respectively.

This is the exact reason I'm loading up on Geelong to miss the top 8 next year at $4.

Thing that has stood out the most for this finals series is a quote from Ross Lyon following North's loss.

"They're no miracles in finals".

Dogs beat Eagles after winning earlier match in the year. Giants follow 7 goal win against Sydney with 6 goal win in QF final.

Hawks lose 4 of last 6 games in regular season and can't regain form in finals.

Swans beat Geelong 98-60 off 6 day break at Simonds. In PF Swans beat Cats off 6 day break 97-60.

Very good call, lot of history repeating itself.

Given the injuries we suffered last week (Lever, Talia) and those players already carrying injuries (JJ, Jacobs, Lynch), it was safe to assume we probably wouldn't have been able to beat the Cats last night. Maybe this was the way it was meant to happen.... I know I'm certainly smiling a bit more this morning at the thought that Danger doesn't win his flag.

Given the injuries we suffered last week (Lever, Talia) and those players already carrying injuries (JJ, Jacobs, Lynch), it was safe to assume we probably wouldn't have been able to beat the Cats last night. Maybe this was the way it was meant to happen.... I know I'm certainly smiling a bit more this morning at the thought that Danger doesn't win his flag.

We put in a much better performance vs Sydney than Geelong did.

Why? I didn't know that was something we shouldn't do? I sure as hell got the crap tagged out of me over the past 12 months by Geelong posters. One even had me in his signature for most of the year o_O

Yes but they are massive flogs, let's rise above it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct.

And while I think of it, further to my last post, look what happened when we traded in a proven premiership and finals playing star - D Jarman. Dragged us over the line how many times?

Fudd was an awesome player - but a proven finals performer is a long bow to draw. That brilliant North Adelaide side of the late 80s only won one flag, and he was a passenger in Hawthorn's flag in 1991. He didn't play in a winning final until 1997 after that flag.

a1259beeb18125b2c055f118cc0c8113.jpg

Get em Kurt ;)

Dont mind him so much anymore for some reason.

Fudd was an awesome player - but a proven finals performer is a long bow to draw. That brilliant North Adelaide side of the late 80s only won one flag, and he was a passenger in Hawthorn's flag in 1991. He didn't play in a winning final until 1997 after that flag.
Fair enough, but the fact remains he had finals winning experience - passenger or not, he'd seen what it takes

Why? I didn't know that was something we shouldn't do? I sure as hell got the crap tagged out of me over the past 12 months by Geelong posters. One even had me in his signature for most of the year o_O
It just creates s**t fights. Fair enough if they are actively posting in the thread but they aren't.

Bay 13 is the place if you want to give it to Geelong posters

cant see dogs beating GWS today.
I can

GWS strolled through their first ever final like us in 1993.

Teams clam up when the prize draws nearer.

No Stevie J boldness. Dogs have had enough finals heartbreak.

I can

GWS strolled through their first ever final like us in 1993.

Teams clam up when the prize draws nearer.

No Stevie J boldness. Dogs have had enough finals heartbreak.

Dogs have won their past 2 finals on inside ball work. GWS has a better inside game than Dogs. I struggle to find another area of the ground the Dogs have the advantage in.

Dogs have won their past 2 finals on inside ball work. GWS has a better inside game than Dogs. I struggle to find another area of the ground the Dogs have the advantage in.
The thing inside their chest.

Their heart is just amazing to watch. I wish our players would desire the contest and the need to allpy pressure as much as they do.

They also take risky kicks and move the ball lightning quick. Its working for them.

Giants go in favorites but the dogs are a chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back