NFL Who Wins Super Bowl LI? - The Back-To-Back Lounge

Bulldogs AFL
Sharks NRL
Vikings NFL

fairytales coming true all over the world. year of the fairy. EPL, NBA, MLB, A-League, etc
This year has easily been my best year in following sport.

Broncos win

Cavs win (favourite player/second favourite team)

My SFA team wins the premiership

Bulldogs (dads team, my 1.b. team) make grand final

So I'm pretty confident the Dogs win. But has been a great year for sure

Super Bowl LI

Vikings 38
Broncos 3
I'm definitely thinking that Broncos/Vikings matchup. Just a feeling I'm getting.

Kind of like the Vikes making up for what would have been a corker of a matchup in '98 with the 14-2 Broncos and the 15-1 Vikes, but they lost the NFCCG. Broncos would have still won that SB but it would have been a much better showing than what it was with the Falcons.

But yeah Broncos/Vikes would be cool

I'm definitely thinking that Broncos/Vikings matchup. Just a feeling I'm getting.

Kind of like the Vikes making up for what would have been a corker of a matchup in '98 with the 14-2 Broncos and the 15-1 Vikes, but they lost the NFCCG. Broncos would have still won that SB but it would have been a much better showing than what it was with the Falcons.

But yeah Broncos/Vikes would be cool
Only cool if the Broncos get absolutely annihilated like they often do

AFC - The usual suspects. The three-headed monster that rules the AFC year after year after year. Broncs/Pats/Steelers. It will come down to who has home field.

NFC - Vikes are Denver from last year. People will write them off all year but they will pull through if they can get a decent path in the playoffs. One of the other powerhouses could put up a fight tho. i.e. Pack/Panthers/Seahawks/Cards. I'm also intrigued to see how far the Eagles can go. That defense will win them games in December/January.

It's all about the best D's going around.
The Steelers got shredded, they do not look like a top D this year.
Bengals are a better D.

Just gather up all the best D's from the AFC and NFC, and there's your likely SB teams.
That's the way it should be

But Bengals D looks worse this year. They just got lit the * up by Trevor Siemian who had the best ever game for a QB starting on the road for the first time. They haven't been able to stop a nosebleed in the run game the first 2 weeks. Basically they can choose to stop 1 factor (i.e. run or pass) and then the other factor will blow up. Doesn't matter what team

They are like 5-7 since starting 8-0 last year. Kind of like Fremantle this year. They will fall to around .500 or maybe a bit higher. 9 or 10 win team I think

For mine:

AFC:
Pats
Broncos
Steelers
Colts
Chiefs
Bengals

NFC:
Vikings
Eagles
Seahawks
Panthers
Packers
Cowboys

Personal favorite is Philly NFC and New England AFC. Think Philly will get even better (!). But the Pats win LI.

I'll go Pats/Panthers. BB is the hooded genius and I'm ready for the Brady revenge tour pt 2. Don't think Sieman will be able to take the Broncos deep despite the D.

Don't want to jinx the Vikes but in the last ten years this is the most confident I've felt about our squad three games in despite the injuries.

I'll go Pats/Panthers. BB is the hooded genius and I'm ready for the Brady revenge tour pt 2. Don't think Sieman will be able to take the Broncos deep despite the D.

Don't want to jinx the Vikes but in the last ten years this is the most confident I've felt about our squad three games in despite the injuries.
I'm in the camp that BB got Bennett and brought Scarnecchia back specifically to deal with the Broncos edge rushers. Bennett is 6'6 and 275. He's the size of a small lineman. Given Gronk and Edelman both get open on a dime, you put Bennett on whatever side Miller is rushing from to effectively double-team him. As good as Miller is, he's not beating a double team. It also opens up the opportunity for Bennett or Gronk to chip him on the way out and go into a pattern. Given Denver can't stop the run this season, you've basically nullified the greatest defensive strength in one move. It'll be interesting to see if that transpires.

I'm in the camp that BB got Bennett and brought Scarnecchia back specifically to deal with the Broncos edge rushers. Bennett is 6'6 and 275. He's the size of a small lineman. Given Gronk and Edelman both get open on a dime, you put Bennett on whatever side Miller is rushing from to effectively double-team him. As good as Miller is, he's not beating a double team. It also opens up the opportunity for Bennett or Gronk to chip him on the way out and go into a pattern. Given Denver can't stop the run this season, you've basically nullified the greatest defensive strength in one move. It'll be interesting to see if that transpires.

Issue with only focussing on double teaming Von is that you have Shane Ray and Demarcus Ware to worry about next.

It's forgotten because of how dominant Von was, but Ware lit up the playoffs last season as well. He was just behind or on par with Miller in each match, except the Superbowl where Miller just lost his mind.

Can't just double Von every time, which is one reason why he's been so good this season. If it was that simple everyone would do it.

Issue with only focussing on double teaming Von is that you have Shane Ray and Demarcus Ware to worry about next.

It's forgotten because of how dominant Von was, but Ware lit up the playoffs last season as well. He was just behind or on par with Miller in each match, except the Superbowl where Miller just lost his mind.

Can't just double Von every time, which is one reason why he's been so good this season. If it was that simple everyone would do it.
You're right, which is why the Patriots brought in Clay Harbour (who quietly, has been excellent). I'm confident a healthy Solder can handle Ware 1 on 1. With the re-addition of Scarnecchia and a return to health, Solder has looked like an All-Pro LT this season.

I bet you can double Miller every time. The Pats routinely do it to Watt and render him ineffective. The difference is the health of the OL. If they stay healthy, I believe the Patriots have the Broncos measure and will easily account for them. If not, Denver, as they normally seem to do, will scrap out a win.

Ray's flashed in 1 game. He needs to prove he can consistently produce before projecting him as anything.

You're right, which is why the Patriots brought in Clay Harbour (who quietly, has been excellent). I'm confident a healthy Solder can handle Ware 1 on 1. With the re-addition of Scarnecchia and a return to health, Solder has looked like an All-Pro LT this season.

I bet you can double Miller every time. The Pats routinely do it to Watt and render him ineffective. The difference is the health of the OL. If they stay healthy, I believe the Patriots have the Broncos measure and will easily account for them. If not, Denver, as they normally seem to do, will scrap out a win.

Ray's flashed in 1 game. He needs to prove he can consistently produce before projecting him as anything.

He was a first round pick last season and was injured in his first pre season so he fell. So he is expected to come on pretty strong, I think against the Bengals was a break out game for him.

True, however Denver will be able to match up the Pats wideouts. Chris Harris is the best slot receiver in the NFL and would track Edelman all over the field. It won't be as easy for him then. Also Talib has played on Gronk and Jimmy Graham in the past for good results. And on almost any other team Roby would be a starting corner. Almost half the time the sacks we get are coverage sacks.

I think they match up quite well. Would be great to watch.

He was a first round pick last season and was injured in his first pre season so he fell. So he is expected to come on pretty strong, I think against the Bengals was a break out game for him.

True, however Denver will be able to match up the Pats wideouts. Chris Harris is the best slot receiver in the NFL and would track Edelman all over the field. It won't be as easy for him then. Also Talib has played on Gronk and Jimmy Graham in the past for good results. And on almost any other team Roby would be a starting corner. Almost half the time the sacks we get are coverage sacks.

I think they match up quite well. Would be great to watch.
In a H2H match-up, I'm confident a healthy Edelman can take Harris so I'm not too concerned about that match-up. It's what Denver does with Talib that's the more pressing concern. I'm also reasonably confident in the growing capabilities of Amendola, Hogan, and Mitchell at WR. They're developing into a fine unit. Mitchell is the guy who really impresses. For the first time in a long time, it looks like the Pats may have drafted a good one. His numbers aren't much atm but he's showing that it factor. Brady will put that to good use.

I've said it before but this game will come down to the Patriots' OL vs. Denver's DL. The Pats win that battle, it's game over. If Denver wins that battle, your team probably wins. Either way, these two are clear standouts in the AFC and it's why a Super Bowl berth for either team, has great meaning if they match-up in the AFCCG.

In a H2H match-up, I'm confident a healthy Edelman can take Harris so I'm not too concerned about that match-up

Not so sure about that. In the playoff game last year an injured Chris Harris kept him to only 53 yards on 7 catches including a massive 4th down stop. I'd take that every day of the week. Healthy he'd be even more effective, as he wasn't even expected to play in that game.

I don't know enough about the other wideouts to comment on them. But with a Belichick offense you can pretty much put any QB or Wideout on the field and they'll be effective! Such is the efficiency of a Belichick run offense. Actually I've been impressed with Blounts output this season. I wander if he can keep that up, could be a massive key to there season.

Not so sure about that. In the playoff game last year an injured Chris Harris kept him to only 53 yards on 7 catches including a massive 4th down stop. I'd take that every day of the week. Healthy he'd be even more effective, as he wasn't even expected to play in that game.

I don't know enough about the other wideouts to comment on them. But with a Belichick offense you can pretty much put any QB or Wideout on the field and they'll be effective! Such is the efficiency of a Belichick run offense. Actually I've been impressed with Blounts output this season. I wander if he can keep that up, could be a massive key to there season.
That's fair but also conveniently ignores Edelman's past efforts against Denver since he took over from Wes Welker as the main slot WR:
2013: 9 catches 110 yards 2 TDs & 10 catches 89 yards 1 TD
2014: 9 catches 89 yards 1 TD
2015: 7 catches 53 yards 0 TD

For the most part, Edelman has made Harris his bunny. To be honest, it's stunning to see the player he's become. He flashed little things but never in my wildest dreams did I believe he could become this good. In terms of the Pats scheme, he's as important as Gronk mainly for his ability to create immediate separation.

Moving on, I agree. Blount's dropped a few kgs this season and he looks considerably better for it. On his long TD run against the Texans, he looked a little like Marshawn Lynch. Add a healthy Dion Lewis back into the mix and the Pats may just have the tools to control Denver's D. Mind you, it being played in Denver changes everything so our forum discussion probably counts for very little.

Was Edelman not healthy in the AFCCG?
Nope, a foot injury for which he had offseason surgery to correct. Patsfans weren't even sure he'd be ready for the start of the season after appearing to aggravate it in camp.

That's fair but also conveniently ignores Edelman's past efforts against Denver since he took over from Wes Welker as the main slot WR:
2013: 9 catches 110 yards 2 TDs & 10 catches 89 yards 1 TD
2014: 9 catches 89 yards 1 TD
2015: 7 catches 53 yards 0 TD

Wasn't aware of that :thumbsu:

Look forward to the game later in the season. broncos v pats are always a highlight game of the season.

Quite a good rivalry the last 5-10 years (going back to champs 100 yard int in the playoffs) they always seem to be massive games.

Back