If you could change an AFL team's nickname

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd drop the Demons/Dees from Melbourne and just call them the Melbourne Football Club. They only use the Dees/Demons for the kids it seems anyway.

Richmond Royals
Our home ground would be the seedy pub across the road from Punt Road
I would like that, except I don't like the royals in the WAFL

Nicknames should evolve rather than be made up. How many of the original clubs started with a nickname? I follow Fremantle but hate Dockers, hate the song and hate that they changed the colours. I went to school in Freo and spent a lot of nights stumbling out of their pubs and clubs and hardly any of their symbols say "Freo" to me. The red and green are clearly "Freo" colours with the cappucino strip. I'm not going to follow any other team because I'm a born and bred "Freo" person but I keep my fingers crossed that they get rid of their marketing team.

Geelong Cats (who's scared of a little kitty cat?) → Geelong Pivotonians (actually their original nickname from way back when)
Western Bulldogs (they're not really from WA) → Greater Western Melbourne Bulldogs (silly)
Melbourne Demons → Melbourne Burn (sounds cool)
Gold Coast Suns (as I said, really tacky) → Gold Coast Guards.
GWS Giants → Sydney Giants ('greater western sydney' is rather unwieldy. I routinely call my team Sydney Giants. Just make it official)
Adelaide Crows → ?????? (I don't really like 'Crows' that much but I can't find an alternative)

Last edited:
Cats and Saints. If you need to add 'ers' to the end (Catters, Sainters) so it sounds good when yelled out, it's probably a dud name.

I'd like to see that rolled out league-wide

What about the Powerers or your team the Bomberers

Tigerers?
Eaglers?
Sunners!!!

Why Not?

Cats and Saints. If you need to add 'ers' to the end (Catters, Sainters) so it sounds good when yelled out, it's probably a dud name.
That why's why it's "Gee-long!" and "St Kil-Da!" and works best when done quickly instead of drawn out like the stupid Collingwood death chant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would change the Gold Coast Suns' name. To me it sounds weird because there are billions of stars in the universe, but by definition there is only one sun. Make them the Gold Coast Sharks or something relevantly coastal like that.
Gold Coast Rollers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back