List Mgmt. 2017 Starting 22 | + Trimming the "fat"

Remove this Banner Ad

That is the thing. He is in a position where he can easily be replaced if others push up. But to date he has not really grasped his opportunities and held onto them. Playing back his role is clearer, and he has demonstrated that he can perform there. He doesn't have to be a match winner, but he can also be more than a role player there.

He can make himself a first choice selection by position kind of player, rather than a bench rotation. In reality he is pushing Sutcliffe out, and he should be able to do that with his better skill set.

I still have some hope that Sutcliffe has his 2013 form in him

If that were true there'd be no way in the world that Ross would allow it to have gone on for so long and he would've been traded or demoted by now. One thing that Ross has shown in his career he hates slackers and isn't scared to make the hard call to move a slacker on despite talent. As he's said, he's not seduced by talent.
Actually Ross demote him and deboer to play for peel in pre season last year when other play . hopefully maybe just manage his workload .

I am fan of crozier, but we can't always find excuse to defend him . if he said to media he want the build of fyfe then work on it, even if it mean skipping his yearly America trip.
Yeah its now or never for several players this year, part of the problem in the past has been holes in the list, and
the coach trying to plug those holes with players not naturally suited to them.
Now the list looks more balanced, upgraded from the foot soldier, role player to guys who can actually take the
game on, play their natural game.
Its the piece of the puzzle missing in our game plan, and something Ross needs to show faith in, no risk no
reward.

Yeah its now or never for several players this year, part of the problem in the past has been holes in the list, and
the coach trying to plug those holes with players not naturally suited to them.
Now the list looks more balanced, upgraded from the foot soldier, role player to guys who can actually take the
game on, play their natural game.
Its the piece of the puzzle missing in our game plan, and something Ross needs to show faith in, no risk no
reward.
Players that in danger of missing out if don't perform .

1) Tab
2) croz
3)Clarke
4) sutty ( if logue step up this year )
5) ballas
6) suban ( still think less wallabies style , he will be really good for freo)

If that were true there'd be no way in the world that Ross would allow it to have gone on for so long and he would've been traded or demoted by now. One thing that Ross has shown in his career he hates slackers and isn't scared to make the hard call to move a slacker on despite talent. As he's said, he's not seduced by talent.

Croz has been dropped plenty of times, and still doesn't get it. He shows enough to get picked again but doesn't take the next step. That's the holding pattern he's been in for the last three years. Eventually the club will get tired of it, but I think it's only gone on for so long *because* the club/Ross has been seduced by his talent.

Croziers last 6 games or so were very good so let's see how he goes this year before we write him off. He did pretty well for someone that just played back for the first time in his life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the thing. He is in a position where he can easily be replaced if others push up. But to date he has not really grasped his opportunities and held onto them. Playing back his role is clearer, and he has demonstrated that he can perform there. He doesn't have to be a match winner, but he can also be more than a role player there.

He can make himself a first choice selection by position kind of player, rather than a bench rotation. In reality he is pushing Sutcliffe out, and he should be able to do that with his better skill set.

I think he has the talent, and I think he has more of the belief in himself than other frustratingly-inconsistent players like Zaarke have, but he's been on the list a long time now and players are going past him. I don't think he'll figure it out with us, but a change of club might make the penny drop.

Croziers last 6 games or so were very good so let's see how he goes this year before we write him off. He did pretty well for someone that just played back for the first time in his life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He did. That move, which I think only came about due to our injuries, saved his career at Freo. Until then he was on the scrap heap. All it will take is for someone more hungry like Ryan to show more than him and he is out the door.

Agree, Some player like Walters response been dropped . but for croz he is pretty happy to stay chill. Will be a waste if he is gone after this year, can mark , decent kick/speed , can tackle .
What are you on about?

Croz finally had some consistency about his football last season in a position he hadn't previously trained in. He stayed in the team and played fairly well off the HB until he got injured.

What are you on about?

Croz finally had some consistency about his football last season in a position he hadn't previously trained in. He stayed in the team and played fairly well off the HB until he got injured.

He was talking about Crozier's career for the 5.5 years preceding that run of six games, or whatever it was.

He stayed in the team and played fairly well off the HB until he got injured.
Don't you see a lot of silvagni similarities there ?.Injured at the wrong time when the spot is available for him to be taken permanently.

Don't you see a lot of silvagni similarities there ?.Injured at the wrong time when the spot is available.
I think this is the first time he's been injured. He's was in and out of the team due to consistent not injury as far as I know.

He was talking about Crozier's career for the 5.5 years preceding that run of six games, or whatever it was.
It was more Meima's comment about having to defend him (Croz). Why? Surely we can only judge footballers on their most current form, Crozier's most recent form was good before getting injured.

Is Sutty a lock in the team because he was very good in '13 and '14. No, because his recent form has been poor. Yes Croz has been inconsistent in the past does that mean we disregard his recent form?

Just wondering why Miema is saying "but we can't always find excuse to defend him" when his recent form was good.

Crosier's problem is not lack of skill's, he's got skill in spades. His problem has always been incl juniors consistency. He goes missing during games,doesnt get enough of the ball. Surely that can be fixed and he will become the player we have all been hoping for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is the first time he's been injured. He's was in and out of the team due to consistent not injury as far as I know.

It was more Meima's comment about having to defend him (Croz). Why? Surely we can only judge footballers on their most current form, Crozier's most recent form was good before getting injured.

Is Sutty a lock in the team because he was very good in '13 and '14. No, because his recent form has been poor. Yes Croz has been inconsistent in the past does that mean we disregard his recent form?

Just wondering why Miema is saying "but we can't always find excuse to defend him" when his recent form was good.
I don't know how many matches you watch croz play for peel , croz was in and out of the side before he is selected for freo due to injury.

Last edited:
People in contention for Crozier's spot:

- Ibbotson
- MJ
- Ryan
- Logue
- Weller
- Hughes
- Balic
- Sutcliffe
- Spurr
- S.Hill

Any of these players could play that HB role and do it fairly well. Logue, Ryan, MJ and Balic weren't contenting last year due to injury or not being in the team.

Croz has plenty of athleticism and talent he only needs to increase his consistency in order to be a certain in the 22. Otherwise I expect him to be in and out of the squad this year.

I think footy is still a novelty to Croz. He's been in cruise control since he got here, or Croz control, perhaps. More an off field footballer than an onfield one. Unless he pulls his finger out, which I can't see happening, I think he'll be traded or delisted as soon as season's end.

I am not going to "like" your comments about Crozier because I hope for so much more from such a naturally gifted player, but I totally agree with them. It's all about work rate and he just does not appear to have it.

I don't know how many matches you watch croz play for peel play croz was in and out of the side before he is selected for freo due to injury.
Again, we all know Crozier has been inconsistent. Nobody is disagreeing with that.

I was merely pointing out that in my opinion it seemed strange to say "but we can't always find excuse to defend him" when his recent form has been good. I would say recent form has more relevance than past form on their future.

His recent form was good but in that string of half a dozen games, he still started to fade towards the end of them.
He was drafted in 2011 and in that time he's shown that a short run of good games doesn't mean he'll keep it going, so he comes into the season with a question mark, as he has with every season to date. The continued criticism isn't unwarranted.

I am not going to "like" your comments about Crozier because I hope for so much more from such a naturally gifted player, but I totally agree with them. It's all about work rate and he just does not appear to have it.

Yep. People are saying he can't put on weight, but he didn't seem to have any problems with it for the first couple of years. For whatever reason, and I'd guess it's commitment to diet and gym work, he hasn't really improved for the last few years.
He has an opportunity as an incumbent to make the most of his new found position at half back. This has to be the year he plays consistently.

Crozier was nothing short of a revelation for us and ofcourse for him off of half back/the pocket. He'd be my first selected small defender. He has clearly been out of position (no fault of anyone, seemed a forward) his entire career and I for one hope to watch him continue to improve in the coming years.

Can't help but get the feeling you guys are taking potshots because he's a bit of a pretty boy.

Welcome to the world of all young men nowadays, especially the wealthy and (somewhat) famous.

Jj -> freo ( ugly hair style not so pretty)
Croz -> bulldog ( pretty boy)

Deal :D

Croz has been dropped plenty of times, and still doesn't get it. He shows enough to get picked again but doesn't take the next step. That's the holding pattern he's been in for the last three years. Eventually the club will get tired of it, but I think it's only gone on for so long *because* the club/Ross has been seduced by his talent.
He took the next step last year in my view. Playing in a position that suited him he averaged about 20 possessions and 7 marks a game at half back. For a bloke who some here seem to think doesn't work hard enough he seems to work bloody hard on the track to me. Seen him loose his lunch plenty of times. I certainly don't think he is in a holding pattern. One of our most improved players in 2016 in my opinion.

Let's hope croz perform in JLT , there are a lot more quality players now to be available for best 22 if he don't. Competition for spots I think is good for team .

He took the next step last year in my view. Playing in a position that suited him he averaged about 20 possessions and 7 marks a game at half back. For a bloke who some here seem to think doesn't work hard enough he seems to work bloody hard on the track to me. Seen him loose his lunch plenty of times. I certainly don't think he is in a holding pattern. One of our most improved players in 2016 in my opinion.

He's pretty much the only one who loses his lunch on a regular basis, which says to me he's not keeping up with his program.

I agree that he was greatly improved last year, but to me he's not off the hook unless he continues with it this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back