Prediction Time Capsule: Who will have the better career? Motlop, Cockatoo or Parfitt

Which player will have the better career overall?

• Brandon Parfitt

• Nakia Cockatoo

• Steven Motlop

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gysenn

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
The year is 2030. All three of Steven Motlop, Nakia Cockatoo and Brandon Parfitt have hung up the boots.

A 68-year-old Brian 'Bristle' Taylor is admiring a fresh-faced Cats draftee from, in his words, "up north". He tells listeners the youngster reminds him of champion Geelong player from the 20's. He refers to the player by name, but it's pretty clear he's referring to one of the other blokes. Classic Bristle.

18157790_10213463433279857_2709778032394112144_n.jpg

Which player had the better career overall? Which player had the better career for Geelong? Detail what they did for the club, if they were a one club player, and when they retired. Rank them from most successful to least...

---

As of 29/04/2017...

PARFLITT%20Brandan.png

Brandon Parfitt
Fresh off a rising star nomination in Round 3, the 26th pick in the 2016 national draft (which the Cats received for the want-away Josh Caddy) has slotted seamlessly into a Geelong lineup pushing for a flag. On the brink of signing a new contract with the club.
Height: 179cm
Weight: 79kg
Drafted: Pick 26, 2016
Debut: Round 1, 2017 vs. Fremantle
Rising Star Nomination: Round 3, 2017 vs. Melbourne
Games: 5
Goals: 2

COCKATOO%20Nakia.png

Nakia Cockatoo
Has shown flashes of brilliance in his early days, reminiscent of a younger Motlop. Possesses terrific upper body strength, with his trademark 'fend off and run like hell' game style exciting the Geelong faithful. On the brink of signing a new contract with the club.
Height: 186cm
Weight: 89kg
Drafted: Pick 10, 2014
Debut:
Round 1, 2015 vs. Hawthorn
Rising Star Nomination: N/A
Games: 24
Goals: 18

MOTLOP%20Steven.png

Steven Motlop
An unrestricted free agent who will 'wait and see' how things go this year before deciding if he will re-sign with the club. Some suggest his trade value / pay packet may be used to lure a 33-year-old Gary Ablett jnr. back to the club from the Gold Coast Suns. Was unsuccessfully shopped around in the 2016 trade period, after turning up overweight for the 2016 pre-season.
Height: 185cm
Weight: 85kg
Drafted: Pick 39, 2008
Debut: Round 2, 2010 vs. Hawthorn
Rising Star Nomination: Round 6, 2012 vs. Melbourne
Games: 117
Goals: 161

Last edited:
I reckon the page that blocks people on Facebook when they're questioned about reproducing images without the written consent of the AFL.

In all seriousness Parfitt, he looks like he's going to be a player and already has a brilliant kick.

Parfitt has the advantage of being the newer and shinier toy. I do hope that all three have long and distinguished careers with us featuring a four-peat, but if I had to I would take the potentially 'safer' bet of Parfitt - I think his game more naturally translates to AFL football, whereas Cocky is more out of the box x-factor but perhaps not as natural a (Par)fit.

Cocky for me, marginally over Parfitt who will be a jet.
Cocky has as much raw talent and skill as I've seen at the Cats and looks a bloke who loves playing footy which tends to bring the most out of guys.
Get a good run with injury and a tank enough to play midfield/wing he'll be a 250 game super star at the Cats.
Parfitt will be the Joel Corey to Ablett Jnr, a damn good player in his own right overshadowed slightly by the flashier team-mate.
Motlop will be a fine player also, but behind those 2. Perhaps like a James Kelly to the above 2 mentioned.

Parfitt. Time and space and ball usage..Cocky may make it as an explosive mid and get more recognition, but Parfitt will be more effective. dare I say Selwood Vs Danger like. To dream they both reach those levels

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

1. Cockatoo
2. Motlop
3. Parfitt

Cockatoo is going to be something special. Fingers crossed Motlop shows his potential at the Cats rather than elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cockatoo for mine, because he has the potential to become A-grade in more facets of the game than the other two.

Parfitt and Motlop have great agility, but are slightly more limited by their size - Motlop, for example, will never be a good contested mark, and his lack of left-foot kicking is a limitation at AFL level.

Cockatoo is bigger and stronger, so he might also have the ability to switch to that much-lauded "beast mode" that only a few in the AFL have. Cockatoo for mine.

Very difficult question on so limited football. Especially because cockatoo missed so much junior football.

Brandon Parfitt looks like the only genuine midfielder out of the bunch. His composure and natural ball winning ability and decision making shine through for an 18 year old.

So a deeper look at under age level for Allies and territory suggest composure and decision makings as his key traits hard running tough. Has speed and power from stoppages can change direction and play forward.

Work rate and ability to find the football came up in every report inside or outside averaged 26 touches at national carnival in div 2.

Strengths work rate, accumulation, explosiveness, agility.

Was a standout bottom age player in 2015 winning all Australian honours. Played reserve footy at north adelaide and impressed. It seem's he struggled with injuries in 2016 and his kicking was suspect by a lot of reports so for a sub 180cm. The weighting off his kicking but technically pretty good so thoughts were it was fixable.

Been good so far at AFL level so interesting to see when he starts to gather more of the ball if it stands up. Jack Steven was one of his draft comparisons.

So tough I rated this kid so highly in the pre - season and flourished so far most of my question marks around him at 179cm does he have the physical development attributes to be a star at AFL level. Can he naturally put on the size and strength required to play inside mid and use that explosiveness this is the one aspect I'm not confident in because kicking can be improved but it will never be silky elite which when we are talking about stars you need one or the other. But if he has composure, explosiveness, agility work rate wow it will be some package.

150 game plus player projections
Best & fairest calibre.
Could be peter Burgoyne type I think who was a very handy player that's the dream anyway.

Nakia cockatoo seen him at Afl level 25 times so far I think last season he kicked (11) goals in 10 games but never picked up over 15 touches. Electric pace, Tackling, contested ability overhead marking is impressive. His cardio at present see's him struggle to run out games we will see how much improvement we can get in that. Looks like a guy who will play between deep forward wing and take some centre bounces. I don't think he is a natural like parfitt in reading the play seems to get lost at times and struggles too accumulate possessions through smart positioning thus far. But physically what a specimen has all the physical traits to be a superstar. A nice sidestep good overhead lightning fast.

I think statistically speaking motlop will kick more goals and rack up more football than cockatoo purely by being a more natural footballer. And motlop is quite smart on the outside and a very good goal sense. Cockatoo will be more exciting and has x factor competitor so will probably rank higher as a player than motlop although I think motlop will end up with the better numbers.

Everyone has seen plenty of mot's don't really need a bio. His best is excellent the gap between his best and worst is too far. And needs to find a way to contribute when having a poor day. What he doe's do is find the goals with ease and a good finisher on the run. Great outside line breaking leg speed need's to play well in a final.

Parfitt (1)

Cockatoo (2) over motlop (3) by a whisker as I said I believe Motlop numbers will be better and cocky isn't the most durable to date.

I don't know if we have a superstar in this group but we will have at least one club champion and some very solid players with cockatoo being the excitement machine.

Last edited:
Cocky for me, marginally over Parfitt who will be a jet.
Cocky has as much raw talent and skill as I've seen at the Cats and looks a bloke who loves playing footy which tends to bring the most out of guys.
Get a good run with injury and a tank enough to play midfield/wing he'll be a 250 game super star at the Cats.
Parfitt will be the Joel Corey to Ablett Jnr, a damn good player in his own right overshadowed slightly by the flashier team-mate.
Motlop will be a fine player also, but behind those 2. Perhaps like a James Kelly to the above 2 mentioned.

Ablett read this and had (45) touches

Motlop, but we need to see if he's still a Cat next year if this is referring only to their Geelong careers.
Was reported on FoxSports Friday night coverage that Parfitt and Cockatoo were in negotiations for new deals. Mots would wait until R16-18 to do so.

Parfitt
Motlop

Cockatoo

i was reading this thread and for some reason the name Allen Christensen sprung to mind, everything thats been said about parfitt and cockatoo on here was said about poor allen a few years ago, sadly for poor allen it hasnt worked out that way

Back