Opinion Get The "Think Tank" Out - We Need Some New Ideas

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of discussion re: membership nos but membership revenue is the real test these days

So many discounts go on just to get nos but look @ the Hawks , massive member nos but their members area is lucky to be half full when they play !!

The biggest disappoint in recent years has been the AFL allocating public holidays to specific matches rather than being shared

Carlton v Collingwood & Carlton v Essendon are two biggest clashes in footy but they do not get an allocated day in the fixture !!

I don't know if I speak for anyone else, but for me it comes down to money and opportunity.
Back when I was still a single guy I was regularly a member and going to the footy most weeks. But since getting married and having my three kids, I haven't yet bought membership. Sure I've considered it, but I can't just look at membership for myself, I have to consider the kids as well. (My wife isn't into footy. Feel free to question my life choice there. ;))
While the kids were still small, very few games were really suitable - night games, or interstate fixtures eliminated quite a few. The best games were Saturday or Sunday afternoon games and we weren't getting a lot of those.
Membership is so expensive these days and our family budget so tight, I just haven't been able to justify the expense, for the number of games we would be able to attend. As we know, a day at the footy carries a lot of expenses on top of getting into the ground. Some can be avoided: I haven't bought food at the footy for about 20 years on principle - I refuse to cooperate with the price-gouging racket that food at the footy has become. I take a picnic lunch.
But I digress, sorry...
I know there are a lot of people for whom money is no object, they get their memberships regardless, and our enemies seem to have a lot of those. Good luck to them! But for my family, forking out hundreds of bucks each year to attend a few matches is out of the equation. I earmark a few games each year (like Melbourne at the G) where we can easily get in on the day on general admission.

BUT... should I at some stage end up divorced and single, you can bet I will console myself by becoming a Blues member once again!

Club should definitely have a members only app with special features like live go pro footage from one of the players pre and post game, player q&a, create your own member avatar on the app where you can boost your profile and gain access to greater app features when you sign up a friends etc, live go pro pre training etc

I don't know if I speak for anyone else, but for me it comes down to money and opportunity.
Back when I was still a single guy I was regularly a member and going to the footy most weeks. But since getting married and having my three kids, I haven't yet bought membership. Sure I've considered it, but I can't just look at membership for myself, I have to consider the kids as well. (My wife isn't into footy. Feel free to question my life choice there. ;))
While the kids were still small, very few games were really suitable - night games, or interstate fixtures eliminated quite a few. The best games were Saturday or Sunday afternoon games and we weren't getting a lot of those.
Membership is so expensive these days and our family budget so tight, I just haven't been able to justify the expense, for the number of games we would be able to attend. As we know, a day at the footy carries a lot of expenses on top of getting into the ground. Some can be avoided: I haven't bought food at the footy for about 20 years on principle - I refuse to cooperate with the price-gouging racket that food at the footy has become. I take a picnic lunch.
But I digress, sorry...
I know there are a lot of people for whom money is no object, they get their memberships regardless, and our enemies seem to have a lot of those. Good luck to them! But for my family, forking out hundreds of bucks each year to attend a few matches is out of the equation. I earmark a few games each year (like Melbourne at the G) where we can easily get in on the day on general admission.

BUT... should I at some stage end up divorced and single, you can bet I will console myself by becoming a Blues member once again!
Excellent point, Biggus.

We're expecting our first baby in October and that means I probably won't get to many (if any) games next year. As a result, we are assessing how much we spend on things like memberships because the money could obviously be better used elsewhere.

I know a lot of mums who were huge football heads pre-kids, but either can't justify the cost of membership now or they just don't get to the footy. There's a big untapped market there.

Some interesting ideas in this thread. Hopefully someone at the club notices.

A few things I think about the issue:

- the memberships are poor value for money, though the shift in how members can choose their merch inclusion was a great idea. Not everyone can afford to make a donation of several hundred dollars to the club if they don't feel they are getting sufficient value out of it.

- the club does not reward the loyalty of members who have signed up for years and sign up early (yeah the pin is nice recognition but is hardly going to be the reason a person is loyal). I am sick of the incentives to sign well into the season when people who either auto renew or purchase pre-Christmas get nada. How about an 'early bird' discount? Or two merch items instead of one for pre-Christmas sign up?

- I have personally introduced three additional members to the Carlton fold (one adult and two kids) and other members have introduced many more than I have. Where is the 'reward' or recognition for that?

- We don't really have a strong 'stick it up 'em'/tribe mentality/us against them attitude as a supporter base, the way Essendon/Collingwood/Richmond does. Those clubs' members will sign up out of spite against 'them' and out of fierce loyalty. A lot of our supporters seem rather 'defeated' in comparison.

Some interesting ideas in this thread. Hopefully someone at the club notices.

A few things I think about the issue:

- the memberships are poor value for money, though the shift in how members can choose their merch inclusion was a great idea. Not everyone can afford to make a donation of several hundred dollars to the club if they don't feel they are getting sufficient value out of it.

- the club does not reward the loyalty of members who have signed up for years and sign up early (yeah the pin is nice recognition but is hardly going to be the reason a person is loyal). I am sick of the incentives to sign well into the season when people who either auto renew or purchase pre-Christmas get nada. How about an 'early bird' discount? Or two merch items instead of one for pre-Christmas sign up?

- I have personally introduced three additional members to the Carlton fold (one adult and two kids) and other members have introduced many more than I have. Where is the 'reward' or recognition for that?

- We don't really have a strong 'stick it up 'em'/tribe mentality/us against them attitude as a supporter base, the way Essendon/Collingwood/Richmond does. Those clubs' members will sign up out of spite against 'them' and out of fierce loyalty. A lot of our supporters seem rather 'defeated' in comparison.
You raise some really good points, especially the second one.
Last year the club offered a discount to people to sign up during the season. Those of us that auto renew each year got nothing, how is that fair?
I also think that those that sign up before christmas should get something extra, even if it is a hat and scarf instead of either.
I am sure the club used to have an incentive that if you signed up someone you got a voucher to use at the merchandise shop, dont think this exists anymore.
My husband is a Collingwood legends member (dont hold it against me) and he has seats in the Ponsford stand. I went on ANZAC day as his friend couldn't go and was envious of the set up they have. Pretty much to whole stand is for Collingwood members, there are dining rooms, bars, food stalls exclusive for Collingwood people. Security is good so no chance of opposition supporters sneaking into the area. Would love us to have something similar.

Excellent point, Biggus.

We're expecting our first baby in October and that means I probably won't get to many (if any) games next year. As a result, we are assessing how much we spend on things like memberships because the money could obviously be better used elsewhere.

I know a lot of mums who were huge football heads pre-kids, but either can't justify the cost of membership now or they just don't get to the footy. There's a big untapped market there.

my oldest is 3 years old and also have 2x 2 year olds. I think since my 1st child was born, I've been to about 4 games, maybe 3. I watch most games but my priorities changed quite a lot also. If you work 5, sometimes 6 days there isn't much time left to spend with your children. Take 5 hours(1 hour to get there, 3 hours at game and 1 hour home) out of what time you have left and there isn't that many hours left over for family time

Last edited:
If you sign up early, get a discount on cost. Sign up multiple memberships get a greater discount.
Membership package to be selective from exclusive range. Members gain access to purchase event merchandise like the blue out jumper or the indigenous range.
Early sign up gains access to full range of merchandise with max discount and then range + discount diminishes over time.

The club to grow a network of venues around the country where supporters may go to watch the game, purchase club items, attend events (broadcast the AGM). Use volunteers to coordinate these things and once a year invite and pay for those volunteers to come to Princes Park for an exclusive meet the players, coaches, staff etc

take them through the running of the club, the night tour of the grounds, dine in Lygon street.

Excellent point, Biggus.

There are compensations galore with the kids Meb. Just think, you'll be an Auskick mum in a few years! ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

s**t, I'm gonna have to learn how to bounce a footy
Don't bounce the baby, just the footy ... habits are hard to break.

The club to grow a network of venues around the country where supporters may go to watch the game, purchase club items, attend events (broadcast the AGM). Use volunteers to coordinate these things and once a year invite and pay for those volunteers to come to Princes Park for an exclusive meet the players, coaches, staff etc

take them through the running of the club, the night tour of the grounds, dine in Lygon street.

Especially for interstate members/supporters this is a great idea, when the do come over to watch a game give them tours of the club facilities, chat sessions with the coach etc

A central pub in each mainstate capital city to watch games and get food/drink discounts and invite/pay ex Carlton footballers who have moved home to attend.

Great idea, if the club can market it if I was a pub owner getting a guaranteed 100-200 people in to watch footy and enjoy themselves I'd do it.

If you sign up early, get a discount on cost. Sign up multiple memberships get a greater discount.
Membership package to be selective from exclusive range. Members gain access to purchase event merchandise like the blue out jumper or the indigenous range.
Early sign up gains access to full range of merchandise with max discount and then range + discount diminishes over time.
I like the idea of members having access to limited edition (but not at an inflated cost) merch items like the indigenous or blackout guernseys. Fair enough if they don't want to run a massive quantity of stock of them, but a limit of one per member (if they choose to buy) might get an undecided fan over the line to sign up.

We used to regularly go to the Rob Roy here in Adelaide but it died out.
New SA supporters group is trying to make The Cathedral Hotel our venue.
So many Saturday arvo games this year when I am usually working though, stupid public library - might be time to look for a new job

Get the club to go into a partnership, cheaper food/drinks for guaranteed CFC attendance of x amount of supporters.

Need a freemium type online presence where you can directly market those who are just occasional online presence at cfc.com.au. Need to capture those people.

I did the same today. I even directed them to this thread.
Hi Blues football people,

Please take these suggestions seriously, we care about the club and it's success. There are some easy things to implement that we, the supporters, have advised would help us engage with the club and drag others along for the ride.

There are also a few concerns we hope you will take on board and make a genuine effort to address. We make them from a position of love for the club, please treat them with the respect they deserve.

I am sure there would be more than one volunteer that would jump at the chance to provide this sort of feedback in person should the need arise. You know where to find us.

Yours sincerely
Big Footy Blues

Hi Blues football people,

Please take these suggestions seriously, we care about the club and it's success. There are some easy things to implement that we, the supporters, have advised would help us engage with the club and drag others along for the ride.

There are also a few concerns we hope you will take on board and make a genuine effort to address. We make them from a position of love for the club, please treat them with the respect they deserve.

I am sure there would be more than one volunteer that would jump at the chance to provide this sort of feedback in person should the need arise. You know where to find us.

Yours sincerely
Big Footy Blues
I didn't give them such a lengthy tome but my gist was very much in the same vein.

Last edited:
Here's my twenty cents worth.

Everyone calling Liam Jones "The Beast" and he's certainly playing like one.

Put him in a cage and charge people money to come and see him.:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back