Autopsy Round 9, 2017: Swans vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

If Papley is a downhill skier than what is Buddy? When the game was in the balance he, if I recall correctly, had kicked no goals, had kicked into the man on the mark, asked for the ball off Sam Reid after a mark in range while flat-footed and near his opponent.
I agree mate, buddy is actually not good at footy, somehow managed to fool everyone and luck himself into the top all time goalkickers by picking up cheapest off one tackle breaking step from 55 in the last quarter. Crap, wish we didn't have to watch him every week.

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hope you didn't actually watch the game because if you did you have no idea. His pressure around the ball, chasing and tackling in the forward half was hardly the trait of a dowhhill skier.:rolleyes:
To be sure I was in the top deck, so probably missed a lot of that stuff. The stats don't lie though:

Ieb80Zp.png

If Papley is a downhill skier than what is Buddy? When the game was in the balance he, if I recall correctly, had kicked no goals, had kicked into the man on the mark, asked for the ball off Sam Reid after a mark in range while flat-footed and near his opponent.
Are you suggesting that's representative of what Buddy brings to the table typically? Buddy had a rough day. Papley had a normal day.

Last edited:
Gee, take any positives out of our 50-point win, or did all the players just plain suck?
I could repeat what others have already said about Melican, Sinclair, Hayward, Kennedy, Cunningham, and add a comment about Hanners' devastating gut running, but I feel I wouldn't be contributing anything new.

St Kilda looked very flat and let us off the hook many times, particularly early on. Not sure if the result would have been the same if we played an opposition on their game.

Then how many weeks for Newnes then as both buttocks of both players hit the head incidently. The main impact was shoulder to body and Newnes came off second best. If Mills had of come off second best would you be thinking how many weeks.

Your comments are clearly biased if you think he got hit flush on the head. Watch again they both turn pause it any you will see two players in almost the exact position and both heads at buttock impact.

View attachment 372928
Looks like Newnes went past the ball in that shot. He could get a couple of weeks for lining Mills up like that

At the point of contact he was not reasonably straight. Newnes turned prior to contact there was never any front on head contact. And head contact was incidental made as the bodies hit side on. Mills hit continued Newnes turn until it was level body wise but any suggestion he was hit straight on is laughableView attachment 372967
Let's face it, Newnes got taken off because he started crying

I could repeat what others have already said about Melican, Sinclair, Hayward, Kennedy, Cunningham, and add a comment about Hanners' devastating gut running, but I feel I wouldn't be contributing anything new.

St Kilda looked very flat and let us off the hook many times, particularly early on. Not sure if the result would have been the same if we played an opposition on their game.
That was the signal for me that we are back. North looked off their game. St Kilda looked flat. See a pattern here ...?

When we play like Swans other teams play like sh**.

Last edited:
Had some really good Medallion Club seats for this game and it gave me a good insight into why they are so desperate to have Gary Rohan in the side. He was a large part of the reason they couldn't get any purposeful movement forward. He's very good at getting back and cutting off outlets. So whilst he doesn't accumulate many stats, his speed to get to defensive positions quickly makes it very difficult for opposition sides to develop any real confidence in their ball movement.

Would rather have Buddy over Papley every day of the week. It is just kicking into the man on the mark is such an easy thing to avoid and is such a momentum killer. I hope that every player who does it receives a club level fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would rather have Buddy over Papley every day of the week. It is just kicking into the man on the mark is such an easy thing to avoid and is such a momentum killer. I hope that every player who does it receives a club level fine.

Luke parker would have no money left

I agree mate, buddy is actually not good at footy, somehow managed to fool everyone and luck himself into the top all time goalkickers by picking up cheapest off one tackle breaking step from 55 in the last quarter. Crap, wish we didn't have to watch him every week.

On CPH1607 using BigFooty.com mobile app
should jusr gorge himsel on big macs all week and spud it up on game day like mccartin

After watching the replay I find the criticism of Melican to be ridiculous, he had a fantastic game; Allir certainly stiff not to get a game after his sleep in but Melican has done little wrong to be dropped, consistently getting his fist to the ball on his opponent tells me he can't be that slow.

Mills best game of the year, has so much time when in form, great decisions with the ball by hand and foot, hits his target. Reminds me a lot of Pendlebury.

Forward defensive pressure was insane, Paps, Hayward, Hewett and the talls.

Hanners run is back, Parker building and JPK superb.

Newman, can't drop him now surely, great game. Teams will learn his left side bias in time but so much upside.

Smith back to his solid shut down game.

Heeney not as clean today, bit of an off day but far from ordinary.

Towers was average in the first half but played with more confidence in the second and it showed, worked hard to find space and run his man around the paddock.

Rampe makes such a difference to our structure, played like he hasn't missed a game.

Great all round effort, impossible to pick a player that didn't contribute. No wonder Horse was smiling post game.

Sydney's Kurt Tippett was offered a $1000 fine for striking St Kilda captain Jarryn Geary, with the hit graded careless conduct with low impact to the head.

The MRP assessed a collision between Sydney's Callum Mills and St Kilda's Jack Newnes, but ruled Mills was contesting the ball and had no realistic alternative.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-22/mrp-cunnington-escapes-with-fine-salem-suspended

As was always going to be the case with Mills credit where it's due that the MRP do seem to at least have a feel for the game most times.

Surprised about Tippett can't recall the incident

Sarcasm is often difficult to portray on the interwebs. Well done for delivering it effectively here :)

Newman has been a revelation the last 2 weeks. The penetration and accuracy of his kicking is not something I'm accustomed to seeing from someone in a Swans jumper.

The St Kilda poster can't reply to this thread anymore, move on people.

Tippett couldn't strike a match.
I still don't reckon I'd be tempted to give him a chance though... He'd be pretty intimidating if he used his size a bit.

I'd love to see him go full "beast mode" and obliterate a few packs every now & then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back