Preview Round 18: Carlton v Viva Brisvegas Sunday 23 July 4.40pm @ Gabba - Final Team post #402

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

On the bright side. No Lions supporter has come onto this thread to post about how we should win this match because their team aren't going well. It happened the past two weeks and look what happened.

Could this at least be a good omen?

What's the story with the injuries? The reports make it sound like two were just tightness and one was a knock?

Along with Williamson and Cuningham, this might not be as bad as first thought.
ASOS didn't look too good. Looked severely incapacitated as he hobbled to the bench.

Byrne looked quite sore in the right groin. They worked on him for a little while, but they didn't seem to try to get him back on. He gave the mat on the ground near the bench a good kick with his left foot in frustration.

On the bright side. No Lions supporter has come onto this thread to post about how we should win this match because their team aren't going well. It happened the past two weeks and look what happened.

Could this at least be a good omen?
Still plenty of time :D

If we lose this, have we really progressed as a club?
Yes.

Seen the emergence of Curnow as a forward target, a defence that actually knows what it is doing and seen great signs from other youngsters all of whom have impacted a match or two in a significant way this year. Took a big scalp in GWS, really should have beaten the ladder leading Crows and have only looked shithouse in two games (Richmond and Port games). The ladder may not really show it, but I've seen plenty of progress this year.

Yes.

Seen the emergence of Curnow as a forward target, a defence that actually knows what it is doing and seen great signs from other youngsters all of whom have impacted a match or two in a significant way this year. Took a big scalp in GWS, really should have beaten the ladder leading Crows and have only looked shithouse in two games (Richmond and Port games). The ladder may not really show it, but I've seen plenty of progress this year.

Absolutely correct.

The difference with our wins this year compared to the recent past is that they've been due to structure and quality in the team, rather than dragging teams down to our level.

Bolton has made defence a priority this year, and it's been outstanding, as well as a commitment to each contest. Apart from the Port game, we've been consistent in endeavour with players having clear direction and understanding the roles they have to play.

There's an emergence of several talented and quality young players, and that is again something we haven't seen for decades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rest of the season needs to be a bit more about development. Wins aren't everything at the moment.

Bring Pickett back in, Macreadie as well, Williamson a possible. Time for McKay to play. 4-5 games for him will be a benefit for 2018. Hope to see Polson and Kerr at some stage as well.

IMO Sumner Buckley & Boekhurst aren't up to it and at best Kerridge and Graham are depth.

Been impressed with JGM last 2 weeks. Hope it's not to late
Dunno what to think about this one

Willo & Macreadie for ?
I have no issue with them bringing back Macreadie, but leave him in for 2-3 weeks to get some continuity, otherwise just leave him to develop in the magoos. He's in that twilight zone where he's just that little bit too good for VFL, but not quite developed enough for AFL. Maybe chuck him on a wing where he can "see ball, get ball". He's more than quick enough. I'd much rather they invest games into Macreadie than waste them with Buckley, Sumner, etc.

Re McKay 2 things Soapy V:
Have his last 3 games been better than his first 3 games this year???
Must admit I struggle with this and he's not going to get any better delivery at AFL level yet will still have to compete against far superior opposition.
Does he have enough core strength yet to hold his feet when the ball comes to ground after a marking contest???
From my own observations he still gets pushed over far too easily & ends up deck too much. His opponent will just run off him.

FWIW, I think McKay is still a minimum of another preseason away, if not 12 months. He rarely impacts a game for more than a quarter and then maybe another 10 minutes somewhere else. While he's played a couple of cameos in the ruck, he's yet to really develop a second position which means you can't use him anywhere else except the bench if things don't go to plan. I have no issue with playing McKay if he's ready, but its not as though he's ever been banging on the door by kicking 4-5 goals a week, which you need to be doing as a dedicated FF.

Pickett.....meh.....maybe......but only if he's prepared to play in front, presents up at the ball carrier and places himself front and centre of the packs. Pisses me off at AFL level where he always reverts to looking for the easy gimme out the back, which severely limits his ability to get his hands on the ball and puts him in no-mans land when the ball gets turned over.

Re McKay 2 things Soapy V:
Have his last 3 games been better than his first 3 games this year???
Must admit I struggle with this and he's not going to get any better delivery at AFL level yet will still have to compete against far superior opposition.
Does he have enough core strength yet to hold his feet when the ball comes to ground after a marking contest???
From my own observations he still gets pushed over far too easily & ends up deck too much. His opponent will just run off him.

FWIW, I think McKay is still a minimum of another preseason away, if not 12 months. He rarely impacts a game for more than a quarter and then maybe another 10 minutes somewhere else. While he's played a couple of cameos in the ruck, he's yet to really develop a second position which means you can't use him anywhere else except the bench if things don't go to plan. I have no issue with playing McKay if he's ready, but its not as though he's ever been banging on the door by kicking 4-5 goals a week, which you need to be doing as a dedicated FF.

A lot of our players aren't physically ready. Fisher isn't, neither is Macreadie or SPS and Sumner or Pickett definitely aren't. Silvagni Charlie & Cunners weren't when they first came in but are now showing the benefits. When you're rebuilding it can't all be about performance. Attitude and potential really do come in to it.

I think McKay is 2-3 pre seasons away from impacting. Daniher took more than 60 games to influence the contest consistently. He needs to play

McKay Kerr Polson Macreadie are our future (time will tell if they are good enough). A few games at the end of a season could be enormously beneficial especially coming into the pre season. What do we have to lose? A few more games, Maybe?

We know what Graham Kerridge Casboult White ASOS Thomas etc can do. We need to get better as even with a low injury list and some great efforts and coaching in the first half of the year we still are a bottom 3 or 4 club. Tough decisions with a vision for the future is still the way to go.

If Daisy doesn't get up. maybe we bring in Pickett to zip around the forward 50. we really need someone at the fall of the ball. Lamb is doing well as a high half forward.
Surely Harry or KJ for a run. we need another target up there. even CC was getting smashed by 2-3 defenders every time we 7ironed it into him.....

If Daisy doesn't get up. maybe we bring in Pickett to zip around the forward 50. we really need someone at the fall of the ball. Lamb is doing well as a high half forward.
Surely Harry or KJ for a run. we need another target up there. even CC was getting smashed by 2-3 defenders every time we 7ironed it into him.....

Agree both Harry and KJ should get opportunities, we'll trade pick 2 for midfielders irrespective but the matter is still unresolved who'll kick the goals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back