Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

Has Lance Franklin surpassed Wayne Carey as the greatest key forward of the modern era?

• Yes – already

• Not yet – but he will

• No – and he won't

• Someone else is the best

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Franklin is more of a HFF than CHF so can't really compare him to Carey
Yeah. You can.

Carey is in a league of his own, and Buddy is also in a league of his own. They are practically uncomparable IMO.
Why can't they be compared?

They're both super athletic key forwards who played a hybrid CHF/FF role?

People compare players with different attributes all the time. How many times have you seen a Voss v Hird v Buckley discussion? They were all distinct players but it shouldn't stop people offering a general assessment of who was the best of the bunch.

This weird reflex some people have that you "can't compare" is one of the weirdest things I've encountered on BigFooty in a while. Especially when we're talking about two super athletic key forwards who played a hybrid CHF/FF role. A comparison really isn't that much of a stretch.

How similar do two players need to be before a comparison is viable?

Great player but not really a Key Position player.
In what sense is he not a KPP?

Last edited:
Sorry - my question was 'what do you think I've argued?'

What do you understand my argument to be?
You know what?
I really couldn't care less anymore, you don't seem to want to listen to anyone else.
If someone has a different opinion to you, you seem to go into meltdown.

So just savour the poll, it might change into your favor in 10 years or so.

Are you sad?

No player is as big and athletic as he is. I can cop that.
OK. So you acknowledge his unique combination of size and athleticism.

But does he take typical 'big man' marks? No. Does he spend time in the ruck? No. Is he a pack crasher? No. Is he an enforcer or intimidator? No. So really his size is irrelevant. It would be far more relevant if he did all the athletic stuff AND the typical big man stuff.
His unique combination of size and athleticism, which you acknowledge, makes him harder to contain than big guys who can't match his athleticism or athletic guys who can't match his size.

Because it's a unique combination. And that's advantageous.

This seems to me like the most straightforward observation in the world.

If you had a 7-5 basketballer with hands like John Stockton, it would be easy to say 'wow, he's got great hands for someone that big' but if they are average at rebounding and scoring in the key, then their size really becomes fairly irrelevant. They remain a great player because they've got hands like Stockton, but the size has little to do with it.
This analogy demonstrates nothing.

Last edited:
I really couldn't care less anymore, you don't seem to want to listen to anyone else.
I've listened to you. And I've pointed out specifically how you're misguided, and specifically where your argument fails.

You, on the other, say you don't even care enough to understand my argument.

That's quite telling.

If someone has a different opinion to you, you seem to go into meltdown.
Hardly. I've responded point by point to what you've said.

So just savour the poll, it might change into your favor in 10 years or so.
I'm not sure what point you think you're making here.

I've listened to you. And I've pointed out specifically how you're misguided, and specifically where your argument fails.

You, on the other, say you don't even care enough to understand my argument.

That's quite telling.

Hardly. I've responded point by point to what you've said.

I'm not sure what point you think you're making here.
Lol, you said that Ablett was only a key forward in the latter part of his career.
I tried to explain that it was just wrong, but you would have no part in it.

Let me just ask this.
Who do you think Geelong targeted most when going forward?

Are you sad?

OK. So you acknowledge his unique combination of size and athleticism.

His unique combination of size and athleticism, which you acknowledge, makes him harder to contain than big guys who can't match his athleticism or athletic guys who can't match his size.

Because it's a unique combination. And that's advantageous.

This seems to me like the most straightforward observation in the world.

This analogy demonstrates nothing.

The things that his size should allow him to do - which I've mentioned - he doesn't really do, not at a champion level anyway. I can't put it any more simply than that.

Any player with a huge motor and gun speed is difficult to contain regardless of size.

If anything, his combination of remarkable athleticism with his frankly sensational skills (save for his set shots) is a bigger part of what makes him a gun than his size.

Matthew Lloyd won more games off his own boot than Buddy, even if he was a traditional full forward.

Buddy's longevity is impressive but how many times has he really dragged his team across the line in key games post 2008? Not a whole lot.

Lance will be an all-time great but he simply doesn't have the influence on a game's outcome that Lloyd and Carey had.

Great topic. As a North supporter I saw Carey play a lot and obviously rate him very highly but I rate Franklin very high too. If, and its a big If, Franklin can maintain his form and body for the next 3 years and get to a 1000 goals then I think i would be inclined to agree that he has past Carey. So my vote would be not yet but he could if things work out. I think the day Buddy kicks his 1000th goal some people are going to realise that we have seen one of the greats and maybe even the greatest.
Also some people said that Carey carried an average North team which other people have denied. It should be noted that in 1997 Carey went down and hurt his shoulder in round 1 against Melbourne and only played a handful of games and was no where as good as had been (until the final against Geelong when he kicked 7 out of 11 in the rain). In that season Nth finished 7th on the home and away ladder but still made the prelim which was by far their lowest finishing position in that dominant era.

Lol, you said that Ablett was only a key forward in the latter part of his career.
Yes. That's true. He moved from a wing/HFF to FF in 1993.

Therefore, he only became a key forward in the latter part of his career.

Which part of that is wrong?

I tried to explain that it was just wrong, but you would have no part in it.
Yeah, because your explanation involved an absurd interpretation of the phrase "key forward".

Let me just ask this.
Who do you think Geelong targeted most when going forward?
That would depend on which year we're talking about and the game situation.

There's no doubt Ablett was an incredibly dangerous forward throughout his career. But he only transitioned to becoming a full-time FF in 1993. That's when he became a key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The things that his size should allow him to do - which I've mentioned - he doesn't really do, not at a champion level anyway. I can't put it any more simply than that.

Any player with a huge motor and gun speed is difficult to contain regardless of size.
But you've already acknowledged he has a unique combination of size and athleticism.

That makes him even harder to contain. That's the point. Those attributes combined in one player are incredibly rare and make him the player he is.

If anything, his combination of remarkable athleticism with his frankly sensational skills (save for his set shots) is a bigger part of what makes him a gun than his size.
See above.

On one hand you acknowledge his unique combination and size and athleticism. On the other hand, you downplay it.

Yes. That's true. He moved from a wing/HFF to FF in 1993.

Therefore, he only became a key forward in the latter part of his career.

Which part of that is wrong?

Yeah, because your explanation involved an absurd interpretation of the phrase "key forward".

That would depend on which year we're talking about and the game situation.

There's no doubt Ablett was an incredibly dangerous forward throughout his career. But he only transitioned to becoming a full-time FF in 1993. That's when he became a key forward.
Ok then, no use arguing with you.

I will just leave with, best forward in the modern era = Ablett.

But you've already acknowledged he has a unique combination of size and athleticism.

That makes him even harder to contain. That's the point. Those attributes combined in one player are incredibly rare and make him the player he is.

See above.

On one hand you acknowledge his unique combination and size and athleticism. On the other hand, you downplay it.

Can you shut up? The kind of relentless arguing is like that crap on the SRP board.

See above.

What does his size let him do. Answer that question.

Back