Autopsy Geelong defeated by Swans by 46 points..

Remove this Banner Ad

The bottom six is really exposing us. Buzza, Parsons, Guthrie, Simpson, Thurlow, Kolojasni. The first four should be nowhere near league football at the moment. Parsons has i reckon had two acceptable games this season yet plays every week due to injuries. When you continue to carry injury prone players year in year out like Menzel, McCarthy, Cowan it's bound to happen.

We need to win our last three forget the kids and get on with winning finals. This side needs to strike now there isn't anything coming in that shows great promise next few years.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

I'll admit just as the game ended that I was melting just as hard as everyone in here. Being taken apart by Sydney again was just all too familiar. Most people in here are calling it the same game. But was it really? I can't recall missing 5 best 22 players in last years prelim. I'm actually surprised at how many people in here aren't realising just how much that hurts a team when you only have 5 game players to replace them. Without Danger, Blicavs and Mots in the middle we still won inside 50s, contested possession and overall clearances. We were well on top in parts of the game yet where did it all go wrong? Targets inside 50. The positive out of tonights game is that we can do that well in the middle without the aforementioned players, so how about we play them mainly forward. Take tonights midfield setup and have them kicking into a fwd line of Dangerfield FF, Hawkins CHF, Menzel HF, Cockatoo FP, Motlop FP, with Blicavs roaming. I feel at the very least the final margin wouldn't have been so bad. Yes we lost in the same manner as last years prelim, but with far less quality personal. IF we can get everyone back on the park fit and healthy, I still maintain hope.

It's always risky to post on others boards but..,

We went 0-6 when we had 6 or so out at beginning of season and Hawkins clunked two marks when we had just one off the ground

Each game is different and ins and outs really matter.

I'm sure we'd fear you less than hawthorn because we match up ok and your natural game style suits us better, but next time if there is a next time we both start at zero.

****ed off. With the outs we had was hard pressed for a win. Regroup the troops pfd back not sure on menz & mots! Happy w the decision on those two.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I laughed at hodge getting a game, if duncan gets a game for what he did....i hope there is an Isis separatist out there to go after the mrp.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

for me the most disappointing part was not losing to sydney but was the fact that at no stage did we even look like winning
in fact all of our loses this year you could probably make the case that we never looked like a winning prospect

this is what we should be doing to other final aspiring teams.

our form has been shitty the last month or so hasnt it, save from 2 good wins against less then quality opposition "blues and lions"
we got out of jail against hawks and freo, a gallant draw against gws which i think we all think we should have won and loses to sydney adelaide and eagles

seems like its been a longtime in footy since our amazing first half against bulldogs doesnt it.we have gone down hill since then havent we

if we "turn up" in our first final we are a chance but then we could easily be out in 2...groundhog day?

buggers belief how we are 2nd on the ladder

the next 3 games are fairly important arn't they. do we build up form leading into the finals or do we "limp" into finals

Harry Taylor was putrid last night. His form is so up and down.
The worrying thing from last night was their defensive structures left us with no answers, hence the stuffing around with the ball until we turned it over. On the other hand, Sydney handled our defensive structures with ease. So many times Sydney would pick out a player between four players guarding space. It's like groundhog day. Against certain teams and in big games our gameplan and our ability to cope with the opposition gameplan is terrible.

quality.
'September buzzard' is my new favourite footy term.

on 'the kids' TC - assessments so far? Simpson/Zuthrie/Buzza .... Parfitt/Parsons... O'Connor?

Stewart has been a huge tick, not a yoof as such but should have some very good years ahead of him.

Most of them have shown something. OConnor was just too far out of his depth but the rest have done something to indicate they are worth persistence. Parfitt and Parsons are closer to ready. Simpson even as light as he is did some nice moves last night , and ZGuth will be better with some meat on his bones.

The rawest has been OConnor and Buzza. Buzz is at least 50 games away from being a capable of being near his best.. and there will be a bit of pain getting there ..so we have to work out.. are those games better in the VFL or the AFL. imo , playing his role along side Hawkins with a strong mid group around him would be a far easier job than having so many thing twigs also playing. My guess is that would have been a real awakening for him last night..the VFL would seem fairly easy after that.He was blowing hard at times.
I don't think Buzza will be ever confused with an elite young R1 prospect but with time he could develop into a proficient player. Yes other players would represent better options now..playing him is almost not about now. We have done it with plenty of mids , and if we do not absorb some of these development games for a player like him , we will not have anyone ready in a few years time. It may not really mesh with our roulette approach of load up our bets and put most of our chips on 35 and 14 ..so it would not surprise me to see Stanley back next week.

Last edited:
6 debutants
Simpson - first year rookie upgrade
Buzza - one year in system game 3
Parsons - rookie upgrade 2nd year
Parfitt - first year player game 7 or so
Stewart - first year player game 14 odd
Zuthrie - first year rookie upgrade

That's 1/3 of them out there.

Now at the start of the season the swans went 0-6 with many of their older players out of the team.

We are seeing the same result now at the other end of the season.

As pissed as I am about that game- there's a big factor that added to it.
Upside is we are seeing hard games into kids. Some good kids too.

Go Catters
On Parsons, also had buggered preseason with busted foot and he's come from a long way back on rookie list. I think the question with him is if he can develop a tank and core/upper body strength. Certainly got footy smarts and good user of the ball. And the ways he spins when he takes possession could make him very hard to tackle once he gets some strength.
Add to those six listed, thurlow, who's coming off a year off as a young player. Though, thought he showed most positive signs I've seen from him this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On some positives, Smith was good last night and apart from Adelaide, has been consistently pretty good of late. He was poor in finals last year, so if he can maintain his form that makes us better this year.
Buzza also looks like he has potential as second ruck. Already better than bliclavs at ruck contests.
And Murdoch was far from our worst last night, which compared to what used to happen when we got beaten is a positive. He actually didn't even kick out on the full last night. Left that to half a dozen others.

And Murdoch was far from our worst last night, which compared to what used to happen when we got beaten is a positive. He actually didn't even kick out on the full last night. Left that to half a dozen others.
Pretty sure he did early when he tried to use his right foot. Him and Kolo started so badly with a few bad turnovers that lead to goals. But yes... at least Murdoch improved as the game went on.

I thought Parsons showed a bit. He is very creative and doesn't mind throwing the body in. Of those on your list, should continue to get games purely to develop him asap.
His 3rd quater was really good. The way he tapped the ball to space when he kicked that snap goal and his handball to set up Guthrie? I think it was, shows hes got talent.
He just, like most young players, needs to work on consistency.

Most of them have shown something. OConnor was just too far out of his depth but the rest have done something to indicate they are worth persistence. Parfitt and Parsons are closer to ready. Simpson even as light as he is did some nice moves last night , and ZGuth will be better with some meat on his bones.

The rawest has been OConnor and Buzza. Buzz is at least 50 games away from being a capable of being near his best.. and there will be a bit of pain getting there ..so we have to work out.. are those games better in the VFL or the AFL. imo , playing his role along side Hawkins with a strong mid group around him would be a far easier job than having so many thing twigs also playing. My guess is that would have been a real awakening for him last night..the VFL would seem fairly easy after that.He was blowing hard at times.
I don't think Buzza will be ever confused with an elite young R1 prospect but with time he could develop into a proficient player. Yes other players would represent better options now..playing him is almost not about now. We have done it with plenty of mids , and if we do not absorb some of these development games for a player like him , we will not have anyone ready in a few years time. It may not really mesh with our roulette approach of load up our bets and put most of our chips on 35 and 14 ..so it would not surprise me to see Stanley back next week.

I reckon O'Connor is closer than Zac Guthrie. Zac Guthrie is one of the most out of place players I have seen on AFL field in a long time.

O'Connor would have acquitted himself better last night if available.

6 debutants
Simpson - first year rookie upgrade
Buzza - one year in system game 3
Parsons - rookie upgrade 2nd year
Parfitt - first year player game 7 or so
Stewart - first year player game 14 odd
Zuthrie - first year rookie upgrade

That's 1/3 of them out there.

Now at the start of the season the swans went 0-6 with many of their older players out of the team.

We are seeing the same result now at the other end of the season.

As pissed as I am about that game- there's a big factor that added to it.
Upside is we are seeing hard games into kids. Some good kids too.

Go Catters

Couldnt agree more, was going to say the same. If you lads can get some mature bodies back youll be fine. Thought Zac Smith had a ripping game for you guys which is a positive. Also a narrow field suits our style so I think it distorts the result. You guys will be top 4 so still 2nd favourites to win the flag if old bodies come back.

It's a matter of the age of the rest of the team . Is a Buzza going to start coming good after Hawkins and Dangerwood all retire ? How old are Danger , Selwood and Hawkins ? Is Buzza supposed to help Hawkins or replace him or hopefully work with him ?

I wouldn't worry about one loss , at least you are still in the eight and will probably bounce back next week with Dangerfield back . We are out of the eight by a game and percentage and we have a hard run home. I don't see us making the finals as teams like the drug cheats have an easy draw for the rest of the season.

Smith excellent. Scooter great first half. Hawkins ditto.

Slow ball movement: kill it with fire. In the first quarter we repeatedly turned it over in dangerous positions because we insisted on chipping the ball 15m sideways to a teammate under pressure. When we moved it quickly we found Hawkins or someone else and goaled. It was infuriating.

Misses by Menegola and others really hurt us. We had momentum at times that was extinguished by rancid efforts kicking for goal.

At the end of the day we fielded an extremely weak side (Champion Data said the weakest of the year) so the result was not that unexpected. We will bounce back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back