Autopsy Seen this before - Pies lose again

Remove this Banner Ad

Five years of Bill Davoren now is it? I don't see it. He has no place in the AFL. He was a Commonwealth Games triathlete who lucked his way into a triathlon coaching position. A sport which requires competitors to cut as much non-essential mass as possible in favour of endurance... looking at our boys today, bouncing off Port players when attempting to tackle and getting mauled if they tried to break free from a tackle themselves, it certainly seems his philosophy hasn't changed.

Let's face it, the guy's a joke. Under his regime, we've had the calamity of soft tissue injuries which were entirely the fault of a fitness department over-working the players to the point of breakdown. Having "learned" from that experience, he's delivered a team of players who can run a pretty decent distance without any explosiveness whatsoever. Very little power, very little speed, just the ability to keep running. And even that, to be honest, is not at a level I'd call elite.

We're now a team of wanna-be triathletes who are far too easily bullied at the contest and out-sprinted in short bursts. Scharenberg, Crisp, Maynard, Treloar, Pendles, Steele - they've all lost size and strength since Billy boy has been given free reign over our fitness regime. Worryingly, we're seeing our young bulls like Maynard and Adams following the same path of shedding weight at the expense of strength and speed. It's insanity.

And on top of all that, he presents terribly, speaks poorly, and the bastard is an overweight mess himself! I want a high performance coach who can push, inspire, and say "do as I do" not just "do what I say". He's a fat-gutted, twig-armed, generally uninspiring non-event.

How he's survived so long is a mystery. If you were to make a list of people who must depart the club before success can be achieved, he'd be first name written down, in bold, underlined and circled.

Bill - go back to coaching non-contact endurance sports. Your approach has been one of the more abject failures in an era in which Collingwood failures are a competitive field.

Edit: apologies for the rant folks, but seeing such painfully obvious areas of abject failure continue to go unaddressed is nothing short of torture for somebody who genuinely cares about our great football club.

Because he has counted among his ardent supporters the current coach (amongst others)...

Whatever the opinion of Ed ...

... he's not somebody who would publically deny saying something that he was on the public record as saying. For all his faults (and I reckon he has a few) publically contradicting himself is not one of them.
Ed came from the poverty that was Broadmeadows in the day.
To become a Toorak millionaire.
Now I've no issue with anyone doing exactly as Ed has. This is the opportunity that our great country offers everyone.
But to achieve what he has requires certain moral exceptions.
And after several years, those moral exceptions become part of your core self.
And Ed has a position in the public to maintain.
So, while he does publically refute the rumours, he doesn't tell us what the big Collingwood story, that 9, in his name, promoted for the return of TFS, was.
The Collingwood story never appeared. The rumours say that this is because a father had a word in his ear.
A father who's word could ultimately destroy Ed's standing in the CFC community, and maybe the greater press industry.
For me, I'm over Ed. I don't trust him, I look upon him as a man who got us out of the shite, got us a Premiership, then didn't have the balls to retract his Captains pick, costing us another Premiership, and has now overseen a gradual, if not dramatic, decline down the ladder while blaming everyone bar his Captains pick.
In real life, in shareholder driven company, he would have been gone a couple of years ago when the downward trend was linked back to his decisions.
I love Ed, and I love Bux the player.
But the world, the AFL have moved on.
Time for change.

I don't have Foxtel and couldn't be bothered finding a crap stream for what was essentially a meaningless game in a wasted season but do people seriously think we were a genuine chance without our best ruck, best midfielder, best tagger and best distributor?

Port aren't that great but our only real strength is our midfield and when you remove 4 important cogs we were always going to be up against it.

Going by reports though our poor first half was seemingly the result of game day tactics so the coach needs to be held to account for that if correct.

Looking purely at the stats outside of Reid the rest of the fowards appear to have been poor and Blair's 6 possession game must surely be his last.

Ryder I see wasn't dominant so Cox must have at least negated his influence but unlike Grundy doesn't have the same ball winning ability.

Aish appears to have been fairly underwhelming with 14 possessions unfortunately.

Aish had least amount of ToG apparently. 14 disp with less tog then brown 11 and Blair 6.

Brown got time on ball Aish 0 time on ball.

Five years of Bill Davoren now is it? I don't see it. He has no place in the AFL. He was a Commonwealth Games triathlete who lucked his way into a triathlon coaching position. A sport which requires competitors to cut as much non-essential mass as possible in favour of endurance... looking at our boys today, bouncing off Port players when attempting to tackle and getting mauled if they tried to break free from a tackle themselves, it certainly seems his philosophy hasn't changed.

Let's face it, the guy's a joke. Under his regime, we've had the calamity of soft tissue injuries which were entirely the fault of a fitness department over-working the players to the point of breakdown. Having "learned" from that experience, he's delivered a team of players who can run a pretty decent distance without any explosiveness whatsoever. Very little power, very little speed, just the ability to keep running. And even that, to be honest, is not at a level I'd call elite.

We're now a team of wanna-be triathletes who are far too easily bullied at the contest and out-sprinted in short bursts. Scharenberg, Crisp, Maynard, Treloar, Pendles, Steele - they've all lost size and strength since Billy boy has been given free reign over our fitness regime. Worryingly, we're seeing our young bulls like Maynard and Adams following the same path of shedding weight at the expense of strength and speed. It's insanity.

And on top of all that, he presents terribly, speaks poorly, and the bastard is an overweight mess himself! I want a high performance coach who can push, inspire, and say "do as I do" not just "do what I say". He's a fat-gutted, twig-armed, generally uninspiring non-event.

How he's survived so long is a mystery. If you were to make a list of people who must depart the club before success can be achieved, he'd be first name written down, in bold, underlined and circled.

Bill - go back to coaching non-contact endurance sports. Your approach has been one of the more abject failures in an era in which Collingwood failures are a competitive field.

Edit: apologies for the rant folks, but seeing such painfully obvious areas of abject failure continue to go unaddressed is nothing short of torture for somebody who genuinely cares about our great football club.
This is a great post. Davross must be among the first of those exterminated from our club at seasons end. I would even go so far as to say extreme prejudice should be used in his instance.

There's too many real Collingwood people losing patience with where we're at so I won't chime in with a glass half full message.

That game was winnable.

There's a piss-poor 1st quarter and some woeful disposal during the entire game. It's typical of Collingwood today, we ruin great passages of play with silly clangers and go missing for entire 20 minute time-windows. Not good enough on a consistent basis.

As for lenny20 's brilliant assessment of the physical state of our team, I think it should be a sticky and also sent to the club.

Get the players lifting heavy so they look and move like AFL athletes. They lack strength and explosiveness, it's embarrassing to see them getting brushed off the ball so easily.

There's too many real Collingwood people losing patience with where we're at so I won't chime in with a glass half full message.

That game was winnable.

There's a piss-poor 1st quarter and some woeful disposal during the entire game. It's typical of Collingwood today, we ruin great passages of play with silly clangers and go missing for entire 20 minute time-windows. Not good enough on a consistent basis.

As for lenny20 's brilliant assessment of the physical state of our team, I think it should be a sticky and also sent to the club.

Get the players lifting heavy so they look and move like AFL athletes. They lack strength and explosiveness, it's embarrassing to see them getting brushed off the ball so easily.
On our selections, maybe our not selections. That game was a 50-50 proposition.
What could tip it in our favour would be a game plan..
Hhhaaaaahahahahaaahhhhhaaaaaaaaa, as if we've got one of those!

Because he has counted among his ardent supporters the current coach (amongst others)...

That's interesting if true because Bucks would move heavy iron in his playing days and co-wrote a book on strength training if I remember correctly. Our current team lacks strength, explosiveness, or any presence; most look VFL grade in terms of physical development. They look more like endurance athletes e.g. as if they train to run a fast 4km time as opposed to 10 x 400m intervals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's up with Aish's hair and facial growth.. does the bloke pour a tub of lard on it.. he looks putrid.
Post a picture of yourself so we can compare looks

Let me start with the coaching.

Maynard on Gray = wrong If he kicked straight he would have kicked five again.
Brown & Aish on ball = WTF
Howe was rubbish first half = move him forward because Reid was rubbish first half
Cox gets one more chance next week then delist
Langdon doesn't respect his opponemt

Same mistakes made again by our coaching group.......I reiterate Port are not a good team.

As for Eddie and our gay player he has categorically said he wouldn't "announce it" on the FS.
Does he need to write in stone for people to believe him?

Once that player announces it (and he will) the pink money will flow into our Club.

Not sure id be blaming Reid with how we were moving the footy. Commentators made mention of numerous leads being ignored throughout the first half mate.

Players were playing to instruction of keeping's off and short slow movement. Coaching error was the gameplan gave us no chance offensively. All about dmg mitigation.

The worst part about today's game was the fact that when they took the game on, they looked great and were actually a chance to win. But they dug the hole early with that huge deficit when they tried kicking the ball sideways and backwards... If these clowns had of played fast risky football from the start, we could have got the jump on them.. rattled them and won. All that garbage at the beginning and giving them that 30 point lead or whatever it was just ruined us, as it gave them the huge buffer, gave them confidence, made us behind for the entire game and we were always playing catch up.

Mate seriously.. wtf is up with it.. it's like Buckley's game plan.. makes not one iota of sense. Aish looks like he's been shat on by a bunch of pigeons.
Haha..Jmac had a little holiday.
And now it appears that everyone is a target for "revenge".
Give him a couple of weeks to calm down.
I am.

On our selections, maybe our not selections. That game was a 50-50 proposition.
What could tip it in our favour would be a game plan..
Hhhaaaaahahahahaaahhhhhaaaaaaaaa, as if we've got one of those!

I would refute but it's by his own self admission Never Wrong Black_White
You win, or at least win by death by a thousand cuts. I shudder to think what will happen if you and Loki04 have a disagreement over something, even if it's a nuance. I reckon the interwebs won't be able to handle the bandwidth required and the hole thing will collapse.

Last edited:
I would refute but it's by his own self admission Never Wrong Black_White
You win, or at least win by death by a thousand cuts. I shudder to think what will happen if you and Loki04 have a disagreement over something, even if it's a nuance.
Woohooooo.
I win.
You oughta see my little jig dance!
Lots of ass thrusting.
In your general direction......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back