Autopsy Seen this before - Pies lose again

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest, I'm not so disappointed by the loss. We're not making finals, and we need to get some more games into some young guys and see how others not so young can perform.

Re Shazz and Langdon -- I'm fine with them playing in the team. Both were solid.
Aish -- just a normal game from him. Not enough. A couple of good things. Par for the course. He's on thin ice but I want to see him in the last 2 games.
Blair -- he's the one I can't see having a future. Good warrior but we know his limits by now, right?
Cox -- was fine in the ruck, for a first game there.
Philips --- had really dropped off, but needs the experience.

So for me, okay, we're not a great team but I'm hardly tearing my hair out.

The deluded section of our fan base seem to think we did well. Second half? Maybe.

That first half was wooden spoon footy though. Which along with four years of failure is why we need serious change
The boot studder needs to go, the lady who fills the water bottles and the janitors are on thin ice, the review will show how they have mismanaged things and impacted a very sound organisation for the worse.

The boot studder needs to go, the lady who fills the water bottles and the janitors are on thin ice, the review will show how they have mismanaged things and impacted a very sound organisation for the worse.
You win and lose as a footy club overall but I reckon our rehydration has been first class

Buckley was asked about that in his presser ...

.... JDG was kept forward because he was injuried with a groin problem.
So we played an injured player, out of what most laymen consider his best position (midfield) and then when the game is hot and needs to be won, we play that injured player, who was too unfit to play in the position originally, in that position to win us the game.

Bravo, re-sign the man for another 12 years.

So we played an injured player, out of what most laymen consider his best position (midfield) and then when the game is hot and needs to be won, we play that injured player, who was too unfit to play in the position originally, in that position to win us the game.

Nice attempt to redefine the issue, but it didn't work.
Your post was: "Strange decision not to move JDG on to the ball ." That was dealt with on the basis that the player was injured. Rather compelling, if I say so myself. Hard to play on the ball when you're injured.
There was obviously a need for the player to be on the field for some of the remaining time. Parking a hobbled player at FF is a perfectly standard, if not ideal, arrangement.

The deluded section of our fan base seem to think we did well. Second half? Maybe.

That first half was wooden spoon footy though. Which along with four years of failure is why we need serious change

I don't think anyone is saying we're playing premiership footy. I for 1 went in thinking that if we got within 20-30 points we'd be doing okay. Late goals in each of the first 3 quarters killed us and they all came about through errors or a lack of composure. So despite playing just okay, we were never really out of the game against a top 8 aspirant. I doubt the Port coaches walked away from the game thinking they've found the form to take them far into the finals.

Never gave ourselves a chance to win with the first half tactics full negative, ffs we parked the bus as they term it for a half and we still had 100 points scored on us...

Selection also uninspired. Buckley loves the hard working grunt types too much imo. Puts too much stock in the gps numbers over actual performances.
Brown jnr isn't ready and imo has a even bigger hill to climb then Daics jnr and Kirby due to lacking real weapons and being undersized for his role. Yet Buckley plays him due to work rate??
By work rate, do you mean "running around in circles chasing the ball like 'piggy in the middle'"?

Elliott, Fasolo and JDG - 33 possessions and 1 goal between the three.

That was the difference in today's game.

With Pendles and Wells out, Treloar, Adams and Sidebottom needed more from our HFers and didn't get it.

If Blair gets a game ahead of a kid next week, I'll lose my mind.
I'll argue the difference in today's game was Collingwood switching off in the final two minutes of each quarter. Port Adelaide getting a goal in the final 90 seconds just before quarter time, half time, three quarter time and on the final siren was infuriating.

I don't think anyone is saying we're playing premiership footy. I for 1 went in thinking that if we got within 20-30 points we'd be doing okay. Late goals in each of the first 3 quarters killed us and they all came about through errors or a lack of composure. So despite playing just okay, we were never really out of the game against a top 8 aspirant. I doubt the Port coaches walked away from the game thinking they've found the form to take them far into the finals.

You need to concentrate for the entire game Jackass not just when it suits you. Doesn't make a difference when you concede goals.. actually the most dangerous part of any game Jackass is the start and finish of quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cmon are you serious?

I'm happy to discuss the merits of Buckley's coaching prowess, but let's be reasonable.

De Goey has played the majority of his short career to date as a forward who part time fills in the mid. So it is hardly "playing him out of position".

If he was injured, and we thought he couldn't run through the middle, then it makes sense he is used up forward because he can do damage. He booted 4 earlier in the year in this role.

The Kangaroos did similar with Ziebell last week playing him forward on us, and he booted 5.

I reckon Crisp was the man for the occasion, but he's the only guy who gives us drive out of defence (albeit culpable driving too often) so I can understand why we went with Maynard.

Nothing wrong with sticking with Maynard. It's all learning for him. We are out of the finals now, so I hope we keep throwing some big tasks to younger players.

I'm glad we tried something different as Gray kicked 5 on Langdon and Goldsack last time.

Nothing wrong with sticking with Maynard. It's all learning for him. We are out of the finals now, so I hope we keep throwing some big tasks to younger players.

I'm glad we tried something different as Gray kicked 5 on Langdon and Goldsack last time.

And ironically people we're crying foul that Maynard wasn't sent to him that game.

I find it a strange paradox that there are posters calling for kids to be given debut games yet there's almost equal measures of angst about those kids already selected in the team being given roles from which they can learn.

We missed a tall defender to play on Dixon. I hope we can secure someone to play that role, or to allow us to send Reid back.

I'm hopeful McLarty will emerge off an un-interupted pre-season and demand a KPD spot.

I've got no idea about Kirby's fitness (I haven't seen the VFL play this year) but ...

... we do regularly see players like Elliott hovering around the defensive 50 when we're looking for an outlet. So the fitness demands on the modern small forward would seem to be pretty high. It'd be a pretty easy thing for the coaching staff to measure, so it's not unreasonable to assume that they would know what they're doing.

So then adjust our stupid gameplan?

It seems we're one of the only sides that doesn't keep their forwards and defenders inside 50. We seem to want 18 midfielders.

So then adjust our stupid gameplan?

It seems we're one of the only sides that doesn't keep their forwards and defenders inside 50. We seem to want 18 midfielders.

I must be watching different games.

Cmon are you serious?

I'm happy to discuss the merits of Buckley's coaching prowess, but let's be reasonable.

De Goey has played the majority of his short career to date as a forward who part time fills in the mid. So it is hardly "playing him out of position".

If he was injured, and we thought he couldn't run through the middle, then it makes sense he is used up forward because he can do damage. He booted 4 earlier in the year in this role.

The Kangaroos did similar with Ziebell last week playing him forward on us, and he booted 5.
The fact DeGoey has played the majority of his short career forward, in itself is not a reason for this rationale.

I think it is widely accepted his best football is in the middle and other than a few sporadic moments, has largely been unaffected forward (yes I acknowledge your one good example). He is a midfielder and putting him in the middle when the game is effectively over just doesn't make sense, especially if he was injured (or was that just another excuse?).

The continued playing of players out of their best positions is, to my eyes, a stubborn trait Buckley just won't change...it reeks of the stubborn attitude Bomber Thomson had with Jake Carlisle, when he refused to play him in his best position (defence) destroying the kids confidence...some may even say a result of being ego maniacs.

Some of the game day coaching and tactics during Buckely's coaching tenure has baffled me to the point where I've lost total faith he has any coaching ability at all...I think the overall results of his tenure support that opinion.

A small sample of these are:-

- Refusal to play Reid forward to help Moore (other than a few short periods throughout the year)
- Refusal to try Howe forward to help Moore (yes he has been great in defence, but could have been the spark we needed forward - try at least)
- Unwillingness to just let Greenwood tag the best opposition player every week (playing him as a HFF has been a disaster)
- Continued selection and support of Blair, who has been nothing short of putrid

Pendlebury's comments earlier in the year speak volumes to me, when he referred to just being let off the leash (paraphrasing) meant we played better football without Buckley's game plan. I read that as admission Bucks game style has hindered them and suffocated them from playing a good brand of footy.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it all, but the continued slide backwards makes it really hard to find any positives in Buckley's coaching.

If the departments talked to each other, the janitors could have provided the thin ice to the lady so she wouldn't have to fill the bottles all the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back