Autopsy Seen this before - Pies lose again

Remove this Banner Ad

The deluded section of our fan base seem to think we did well. Second half? Maybe.

That first half was wooden spoon footy though. Which along with four years of failure is why we need serious change

The obvious counter here is the first half of outstanding football against the flag favorites and top team. That is the standard to focus on as it demonstrates we can match it the best.

I'll argue the difference in today's game was Collingwood switching off in the final two minutes of each quarter. Port Adelaide getting a goal in the final 90 seconds just before quarter time, half time, three quarter time and on the final siren was infuriating.
Treloar's poster from out the middle goes in and the momentum is well and truly with Collingwood. Was a painful miss.

So we played an injured player, out of what most laymen consider his best position (midfield) and then when the game is hot and needs to be won, we play that injured player, who was too unfit to play in the position originally, in that position to win us the game.

Players do get injured during the game. It happened to Dangerfield recently. What to do? Should Buckley have planted JDG on the bench?

The obvious counter here is the first half of outstanding football against the flag favorites and top team. That is the standard to focus on as it demonstrates we can match it the best.
That says our best and worst are worlds apart, good teams rarely vary from good footy. We're fits and starts and that ain't gonna get us anywhere near it, we need to find our good footy consistently and there are lot's of changes required for that to happen we can't keep doing the same thing expecting different results. Adelaide 1st half, Geelong, Sydney 1st qtr it's all too far and few between - all of the bottom teams can claim these "glimpses"

That says our best and worst are worlds apart, good teams rarely vary from good footy. We're fits and starts and that ain't gonna get us anywhere near it, we need to find our good footy consistently and there are lot's of changes required for that to happen we can't keep doing the same thing expecting different results. Adelaide 1st half, Geelong, Sydney 1st qtr it's all too far and few between - all of the bottom teams can claim these "glimpses"

Also says the same thing about the premiership favorites.

Adelaide? 2 bad games for the year, surely you're not comparing our form with theirs? By far and away they've played consistently better then we have

Thoughts everyone?

Where did I do that. Just making an observation that there's also a gap between their best and worst. The rest is all your doing.

Where did I do that. Just making an observation that there's also a gap between their best and worst. The rest is all your doing.
"Also says the same thing about the premiership favorites"

These are your words and I disagree, the premiership favourites are as I said much more consistent and their best and worst is much closer than ours

Overall an OK performance. We've got several important players out so it was always going to be challenging.
This excuse really annoys me all teams have players out. A few weeks ago we only had 2 of our best 22 out yet we are still average at best. These excuses are excatly the reason more supporters are happy to go on with the mediocre season after season.

I reckon we could find a small defender for a cheap trade or in the draft.
why sign Buckley he is a nothing coach ? The tough decision is to admit it hasn't worked and move on. Appointing him again will only lead to the same we have seen for all his tenure a spasmoditc team that has lots of injuries and excuses and not too many results or development

Let's wait for the next 2 games to play out before making conclusions based on what is yet to happen in them.
The decision should be made already, regardless of the last 2 games. After 6 years you should have some idea of how someone is going. If we lose both will it be the same s**t that he hasn't had a good run blah blah. If he does all of a sudden he's our saviour regardless of the fact that he even by his own standards has underperformed as a coach and admitted about taking us to finals or resigning. Commit and admit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood fought gallantly against the Power, but were outclassed at vital times to lose by 27 points. The Magpies won the contested ball, took more marks and had more kicks than Port Adelaide, yet the Power were able to spread the ball by hand with greater authority and generated adequate entries into their forward line. Taylor Adams (31 disposals, 14 contested possessions, 9 tackles, 8 clearances & 6 marks), Ben Reid (12 disposals, 8 marks, 4 marks Inside 50, 9 score involvements and 4 goals), Adam Treloar (31 disposals, 12 contested possessions, 9 score involvements, 6 Inside 50's, 10 clearances & 5 tackles), Jack Crisp (27 possessions, 10 marks, 7 tackles & 5 Inside 50's) Steele Sidebottom (27 disposals, 12 contested possessions, 5 marks, 7 tackles and 1 goal) were Collingwood's best players on a night where there was a lot of grafting, without being clinical and polished. Matthew Scharenberg (24 disposals, 11 marks, & 6 Rebound 50's), Jeremy Howe (23 disposals & 9 marks), Tom Langdon (23 disposals & 7 marks) & Lynden Dunn (11 disposals & 7 marks) were all admirable in defence, while Will Hoskin-Elliott (15 disposals, 11 marks and 1 goal) rounded out the next wave of contributors. Next game is against Geelong on August 19 at the MCG.

"Also says the same thing about the premiership favorites"

These are your words and I disagree, the premiership favourites are as I said much more consistent and their best and worst is much closer than ours

Exactly, long way between their best and their worst. Can't be disputed. Their worst allows a 12th placed side to out score them by 50 points in a half. Are you suggesting that's good? Their worst allows them to be beaten by 59 points by the 16th placed side. Are you suggesting that's good? As I said, everything else is you taking me to task about what you think I meant when I've already told you what I meant.

The title of this thread isn't completely unjustified. Got to admit there was a bit of history repeating itself (having to abandon the game plan at half time). I understand why they wanted to play keepings off, and kill 120 minutes. There was fear of what Port did to us last time, and fear that Port were so embarrassed the previous week, that they would try to destroy us early. And fear that we were undermanned. But the cold reality is that the Pies aren't skilful enough by foot to play the possession game. And it's bloody embarrassing when it comes unstuck. No surprise that the team did better when the shackles came off. History repeated itself also with the opposition red time goals. The last minute of each quarter. Reminded me of the Eagles game. A good effort though. Got 2 goals closer than last time, without Grundy, Wells, Varcoe, Pendles & Levi. Add De Goey to the injury toll, and it'll be a credit to the Pies if they don't get blown away in the last two rounds. Can't wait till it's over. Season from hell. It's got to harden the players though. There'll be a solidarity when 2018 starts.

Maynard - his first game without a single turnover. Maybe he's turned the corner.

Langdon - receives a free kick, steps wide of the mark, the ump calls play on, and he gets dispossessed. This happens to him quite a bit. He's not even aware that he's walking off the line. He better find a way to be more careful. I'm nitpicking. He's tracking well.

Treloar & Adams - kills me that they're forced to lead the midfield at the ripe old age of 23. Much respect.

Grundy - don't change. It's not you, it's them.

Kirby - watched him at Vic Park. The hype is justified. His heart only beats once a minute. Very cool. Present in every moment. He's been roughed up quite often this year by wary opponents. I'm sure he can't wait to get out of there.

7 COUNTDOWN: 1872 DAYS

Adelaide? 2 bad games for the year, surely you're not comparing our form with theirs? By far and away they've played consistently better then we have

Thoughts everyone?
Hawthorn, North Melbourne, us and that's straight off the top of my head. Which of those qualify as their "two" bad games?

Got to my second game of the year and sat in behind the goals do not an ideal spot to see the whole game so some of my observations might be off:

Port when they had a mark or free kick in their backline were able to get a handball easily to an overlap player running at a 45 degree angle which would then open up the play. They are well drilled for it and have quick players that can get off their man. By contrast we were so slow to get it moving once we had it, no wonder we keep getting pushed wide. I think Langdon has been pretty solid but he's the worst culprit at dawdling back with the ball.

Stoppages/clearances - from the stats I think we won the total count but port were a lot cleaner and damaging with it. Thought the game turned when we had a 15 minute window when we got on top in this department.

Port - were good at leaving fat side of the forward 50 open, both gray's were able to work off their men into open space on the lead and port backed themselves in to hit that kick at an angle. We don't or won't and are constantly trying to hit a kick on the thin side next to the boundary. Which I get is probably so if we miss it we get a stoppage but how many stoppage goals inside 50 did we kick, I can't remember one.

Cox - couldn't tell how his ruck work was going but I thought he presented well in marking contests around the ground. If they had applied queens birthday rules he would have had 10 plus free kicks, port player had both of his arms wrapped around him when he was trying to run at the footy. Get him one out with quick ball movement and he will get paid those free kicks.

Backline set up - watching games on tv I am constantly wondering how oppo players get free out the back so easily. Having watched it a bit from up close it's because we choose to let them, if a player pushes in deep behind a loose defender the defender lets him go and opts to stay loose 20 metres in front of that forward to either be an intercept player or to try and put pressure on if oppo gets through with the ball. Personally I think it's a failed system as it's such high risk for us and high reward for the oppo.

Blair - plenty of hate for him on this board but I'm going to defend him a bit. Our structure is where small forwards go to die. I can't remember once when he would have had time and space to do anything and thought he did pretty well in some ground level contests to keep it moving forward, they were almost but not quite good results which is probably the story of his career. But fair dinkum the kicks are all to the boundary line, he finds himself hemmed in against the line with three opponents around him, even daic's would have found it hard work.

Call me controversial but would it be out of the question of having a set play in which we kick it to the top of the square with a tall forward to compete for it and the smalls be front and square at the same time.

My final thoughts are port have a lot of the type of player we need, could we knock one off from them in trade week.

The title of this thread isn't completely unjustified. Got to admit there was a bit of history repeating itself (having to abandon the game plan at half time). I understand why they wanted to play keepings off, and kill 120 minutes. There was fear of what Port did to us last time, and fear that Port were so embarrassed the previous week, that they would try to destroy us early. And fear that we were undermanned. But the cold reality is that the Pies aren't skilful enough by foot to play the possession game. And it's bloody embarrassing when it comes unstuck. No surprise that the team did better when the shackles came off. History repeated itself also with the opposition red time goals. The last minute of each quarter. Reminded me of the Eagles game. A good effort though. Got 2 goals closer than last time, without Grundy, Wells, Varcoe, Pendles & Levi. Add De Goey to the injury toll, and it'll be a credit to the Pies if they don't get blown away in the last two rounds. Can't wait till it's over. Season from hell. It's got to harden the players though. There'll be a solidarity when 2018 starts.

Maynard - his first game without a single turnover. Maybe he's turned the corner.

Langdon - receives a free kick, steps wide of the mark, the ump calls play on, and he gets dispossessed. This happens to him quite a bit. He's not even aware that he's walking off the line. He better find a way to be more careful. I'm nitpicking. He's tracking well.

Treloar & Adams - kills me that they're forced to lead the midfield at the ripe old age of 23. Much respect.

Grundy - don't change. It's not you, it's them.

Kirby - watched him at Vic Park. The hype is justified. His heart only beats once a minute. Very cool. Present in every moment. He's been roughed up quite often this year by wary opponents. I'm sure he can't wait to get out of there.

7 COUNTDOWN: 1872 DAYS

Really? When was the last time he got dispossessed like that taking a free kick?

Given the umpires have only started that much stricter interpretation of play on in the last week or so several players have been caught out but I can't recall it ever happening to Langdon before.

Really? When was the last time he got dispossessed like that taking a free kick?

Given the umpires have only started that much stricter interpretation of play on in the last week or so several players have been caught out but I can't recall it ever happening to Langdon before.

I'm not Langdon's biggest fan as you know but he rarely gets caught with the ball.

I'm not Langdon's biggest fan as you know but he rarely gets caught with the ball.

Agree, looks like he will quite a bit but rarely does. Can recall him being run down from behind once which I think started all the lack of awareness discussions.

Last edited:
why sign Buckley he is a nothing coach ? The tough decision is to admit it hasn't worked and move on. Appointing him again will only lead to the same we have seen for all his tenure a spasmoditc team that has lots of injuries and excuses and not too many results or development

Let him be the VFL coach and see what results he can achieve.

Matching it all the way with the best to 14th.

Is your username meant to be ironic?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back