Rank the runner ups of this century

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane in 04 were past it. The GF game is testament to that.

2010 St Kilda would have to be top 5.

I think Brissy were fatigued at that point, not only physically in the immediate travel sense but also mentally, the fact to be playing premiership football for three years previous take a certain amount of mental energy and to back it up for a 4th year in modern football was a neigh on impossible task which they got close to pulling off.

Am I recalling correctly that scores were level at 3/4 time?

I think Brissy were fatigued at that point, not only physically in the immediate travel sense but also mentally, the fact to be playing premiership football for three years previous take a certain amount of mental energy and to back it up for a 4th year in modern football was a neigh on impossible task which they got close to pulling off.

Am I recalling correctly that scores were level at 3/4 time?
Brisbane led by a point at half time.

Port dominated the second half.

Brisbane led by a point at half time.

Port dominated the second half.

Half time was it? gotcha 13 years ago and I cant remember, it's not that long ago to forget like that!

Half time was it? gotcha 13 years ago and I cant remember, it's not that long ago to forget like that!
I remember that Brisbane team was so good I didn't feel secure we'd won it until about 5 minutes before the siren.
I reckon they had a few injuries which didn't help them and Brisbane supporters can correct me if I'm wrong but possibly some Aker issues.

Except the fact we finished 2nd on the ladder AND had to play our prelim at the MCG AND had a day's less recovery. We weren't that bad in 2004 but circumstances played more of a role than it should have.
Excuses
If you can overcome having to bus it to the grand final in 2001
Then you're capable of overcoming 2004 just like Adelaide was capable in 1998.

Geelong of 08 is the obvious one, but the Saints in 09 would be thereabouts as well. Such a dominant team, lost two games by single digits if I recall. They were just unlucky to encounter a Geelong team in the wet who refused to lose.

Sydney in 2014 is another.

I'd have us around the middle of the list for our 2013 performance

We stank it up in the first half but it was only 15 points in the end

Not memorable or one for the ages, but not embarrassing overall

Saints 09/10 would have to be top two. I felt for them both of those games. If they'd have won one of them, we probably never would have gotten Ross as coach and the Saints/Freo poster relations wouldn't be so salty #slidingdoors

St.Kilda 2009
St.Kilda 2010
Geelong 2008
Sydney 2006
Hawks 2012
Eagles 2005
Sydney 2016
Lions 2004
Collingwood 2011
Collingwood 2002
Collingwood 2003
Essendon 2001
White Shocker Dockers 2013
Sydney 2014
Weagles 2015
Melbourne 2000
Crows 2017
119 Port Powder 2007

Geelong 2008
Collingwood 2011
St.Kilda 2009
Brisbane 2004
Essendon 2001
Hawthorn 2012
West Coast 2005
Sydney 2016
Sydney 2014
St.Kilda 2010
Fremantle 2013
West Coast 2015
Adelaide 2017
Sydney 2006
Collingwood 2002
Collingwood 2003
Port Adelaide 2007

Hawthorn 2012 very underestimated here - finished on top with a % of 154.6 and really should have won the grand final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Excuses
If you can overcome having to bus it to the grand final in 2001
Then you're capable of overcoming 2004 just like Adelaide was capable in 1998.

I'm not saying we would have won at all - but we were up by a point at half time and ran completely out of legs in the 2nd half. I think our leadup had a decent part in that and the first half was more reflective of where our teams stood. Port were excellent those few years and we should have played them more than once in the GF over that time.

I'd have us around the middle of the list for our 2013 performance

We stank it up in the first half but it was only 15 points in the end

Not memorable or one for the ages, but not embarrassing overall

Saints 09/10 would have to be top two. I felt for them both of those games. If they'd have won one of them, we probably never would have gotten Ross as coach and the Saints/Freo poster relations wouldn't be so salty #slidingdoors

You guys were fantastic that year. It's the follow-up year that's dragged you down the list, fair or not. If your boys kicked straighter we might not be having this conversation.

Geelong in 08 is the obvious one but I think you are forgetting just how good the Sydney of 2014 team was. I mean the Grand Final was awful, but the team played some of the most dominant football I have ever seen from a Swans team in 2014. The match where the Swans dismantled Geelong by over 100 points was truly amazing to watch.
I don't remember that match, the AFL should schedule more Geelong Swans games because the only one I can remember for the past 5 years is the Semi this year :oops:

1. Geelong (2008)
2. St Kilda (2009)
3. Collingwood (2011)
4. Brisbane (2004)
5. West Coast (2005)
6. Hawthorn (2012)
7. Essendon (2001)
8. St Kilda (2010)
9. Collingwood (2003)
10. Collingwood (2002)
11. Sydney (2006)
12 Adelaide (2017)
13. Sydney (2016)
14. Port Adelaide 2007
15. West Coast (2015)
16. Fremantle (2013)
17. Sydney (2014)
Collingwood 2011 no.1, you don't have the highest ever percentage and 20 wins out of 22 by accident in fact probably the best team to not win it in history on par with Ess 2001

Yeah any objective supporter would have to say that. I prayed hard for a miracle for nearly a week before that game and by half time I was pretty much numb.
We were lucky to make the grand final and I suspect any other team would have had a similar result if they made it. Might not have been as much because some teams would have shut up shop and put 4 behind the ball.
If we beat Geelong the week before (oh so close) you'd still be runners up that year

Collingwood 2011 no.1, you don't have the highest ever percentage and 20 wins out of 22 by accident in fact probably the best team to not win it in history on par with Ess 2001

The only reason you had a higher percentage is because half the comp was half as bad as it was compared to our 08 era.

I'd say if our 08 side played your 11 side 20 times over. We would've won around 18 of those.

Yeah I think some people are forgetting how utterly dominant that team was during the H&A season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back