2018 AFLW - Round 2 - What have you liked, learnt or hated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching the freo freo pies game now, decent bloody crowd, great atmosphere, ground looks great but while being above ground level is great for fans, the fence looks bad on tv, reminiscent of the bad days of english soccer, dunno what they were thinking to be honest

& good game & skills so far.

Commentators mentioned that the carlton player did an acl the other night, seems to me the rate of these serious injuries is higher than for the men, any thoughts?

Wow, the pies 22 gets knocked out cold in a tackling contest & some freo muppet drags her off her opponent while shes as limp as a rag doll, wtf??

Liked:
The Newman goal, that's as good as anything you'd see in the AFL.
Dees smacking the Crows.
Freo-Collingwood as a spectacle.

Hated:
Davey injury

Learnt:
It really is going to come down to who hits their targets. Melbourne did and Adelaide didn't today, and it was a huge gulf in class.

Feel for Bri Davey. While there’s never a good time to do an ACL at least she’s young enough to recover well and come back to have a strong career. Still bad timing as my gut feel was she’d have ended up having the AFLW equivalent of the Brownlow named after her.

Liked: Women's footy has a place

Learnt: That place probably should be AFLX. The women should not be playing on a full size oval. (shorten the playing area)

Hated: Perfect conditions in Perth and another low scoreline 6 goals to 4. (shorten the playing area)

Dont watch it much but saw a bit of Melb v Adel.

Melb were pretty good.

Reckon Erin Philips pretty much makes Adelaide. She's lengths agead of everyone and Probably the difference between crows winning it last year.

Standard was still a bit scrappy but i watched it with a few beers and wasnt hating it.

I want West Coast to have a team before I get properly into AFLW though.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

& good game & skills so far.

Commentators mentioned that the carlton player did an acl the other night, seems to me the rate of these serious injuries is higher than for the men, any thoughts?
International data from women’s soccer suggests that women are 6-8 times more likely to suffer an ACL injury than men. I’ll just let that sink in for a bit... 6-8 times more likely.

Now, I would say that Australian Rules Football is tougher on the knees than soccer, so it is no surprise to see the number of ACL injuries in the women’s Comp. It was a major point of concern last season - so much so that AFL asked Media outlets to stop reporting on it.

International data from women’s soccer suggests that women are 6-8 times more likely to suffer an ACL injury than men. I’ll just let that sink in for a bit... 6-8 times more likely.

Now, I would say that Australian Rules Football is tougher on the knees than soccer, so it is no surprise to see the number of ACL injuries in the women’s Comp. It was a major point of concern last season - so much so that AFL asked Media outlets to stop reporting on it.

Thanks, just did a google search & there's a heap of stuff on it, I had no idea it was such a problem.

Looks like the higher injury rate, to knees at least, will just have to be accepted by all for the game to evolve. I've enjoyed most game I've seen so far but it does make it hard when you see these women in such pain & dropping at such alarming rates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks, just did a google search & there's a heap of stuff on it, I had no idea it was such a problem.

Looks like the higher injury rate, to knees at least, will just have to be accepted by all for the game to evolve. I've enjoyed most game I've seen so far but it does make it hard when you see these women in such pain & dropping at such alarming rates.
Its been an issue in Netball for decades, of course, while it was happening to women in netball, no one cared.

Its been an issue in Netball for decades, of course, while it was happening to women in netball, no one cared.

Netball also has that woeful stopping rule that is the destroyer of ankles.

But I agree, it's definitely more visible due to AFLW to your average person than it has been previously. Which is both good and bad in a sense. Perhaps we'll find better solutions to build up stability around the knee, young girls will be put-off taking up these sports after seeing the number of ACL injuries, or alternatively the public will become so numb to it they'll stop caring when it happens.

Definitely the thing I disliked most over the weekend (didn't see the Green injury) was seeing Davey and Huntington go down after being some of the better players in the league. You always want to see the most talented players out on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back