Autopsy Freo get mauled by the Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

I listened on the radio and all I heard were we just weren't good enough. The commentators were virtually barracking for Richmond. That was on the abc 720 too, mostly Nathan Burke no mention of all the first years and important outs. Made it pretty unpleasant listening. When we were good they would often try polish the Victorian turd clubs performances. Even on grandstand sat they went on about the Ross thing in the harshest light possible for ages while glossing over and defending bomber Thompson. Thompson apparently seems to be a meth and ecstasy dealing underworld figure, while Ross said something wrong five years ago and someone wants more cash. Fremantle always cops it in the media. Probably always will till we have at least one flag.
Brad and Karl were almost having orgasms. ;)

Very hard to watch that.But I have to say that I thought we would cop a few hidings like that with the squad of kids we are playing.Easy to single out players who didn't perform today .Easy to have a crack at the back line, but it was only a matter of time before the flood gates opened and they drowned our back line.
But what I want to know is where did our desire that we had last week go?We were still on the plane when the ball was bounced I think.
Five kids who had never set foot on the MCG before today, was it just too much for them?
Hopefully they have learnt something from that,and I don't just mean our junior players.
From a side that was once a fierce and feared tackling side, we have gone to a non tackling side.We don't apply enough body pressure on the opposition.We are far too easily bumped out of position.Especially our forwards.At least Taberner does not get shoved aside as he used to be.We certainly need him back soon.
Fyfe was superb, but gee he butchers the ball.
Of the kids I thought that once again Banfield was by far the best.Yes, he, like Fyfe , butchered the ball, but at least he put his body on the line to win the ball.He has been by far the best of our first year players so far.
Just have to hope the boys can recover to knock the Saints off next week.

Last edited:
Spent most of the game bemoaning our complete lack of run. :think:

Why aren't there runners supporting the bloke with the ball when the oppo zone throttles us into submission?

We just end up kicking where the opposition forces us to, turning it over, and then two thirds of the team downfield end up defensive side of the play and completely useless. Rinse and repeat. :(

We continue to repeat the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result.

Saw Richmond today running in waves from half back, outnumbering our blokes in the immediate area, drawing our man to the ball carrier who easily dishes off to one of the open runners in the vicinity. Easy passages straight up the corridor, easy hit up of a leading forward inside 50 in space.

Last edited:
We were still on the plane when the ball was bounced I think.

We often seem to be getting the sleep out of the eyes in these early Vic games.Half hour of Zombie moves and the game's all over.
I think Cerra's our best looking young'un but agree with your comment re pressure and sticking tackles.

Even when the dockers suck it's worth going to the games just to see Fyfe in form.

He's a master and is more or less carrying the team. Seems like he hasn't missed a beat since getting injured.

I reckon Ryan is poor defensively when there’s running involved. Good mark but doesn’t want to chase.

Don't think I agree with that. I've seen him chase and tackle enough to his own physical detriment to be happy there, not sure his pace is more than average though.

I get that his game looked toilet today though. I'm not sure it's so much lack of effort but ******* weird confused structure against a quicker, smaller forward line that chopped all our backs to pieces.

I listened on the radio and all I heard were we just weren't good enough. The commentators were virtually barracking for Richmond. That was on the abc 720 too, mostly Nathan Burke no mention of all the first years and important outs. Made it pretty unpleasant listening. When we were good they would often try polish the Victorian turd clubs performances. Even on grandstand sat they went on about the Ross thing in the harshest light possible for ages while glossing over and defending bomber Thompson. Thompson apparently seems to be a meth and ecstasy dealing underworld figure, while Ross said something wrong five years ago and someone wants more cash. Fremantle always cops it in the media. Probably always will till we have at least one flag.

It’s that slow, careful realisation that most in the media just don’t follow us enough.

I had a conversation with Riccuto at the Inglewood a few years ago and gave him (well-natured) s**t about being biased against us. He straight out said he only knew the basics about our club, and that it’s too hard to get a true measure of all 18 teams across the season.

That was in 2015 when we were minor premiers!

The Freo game plan currently doesn’t stand up against real pressure and the Tigers are the best pressure side in the comp. Not as good as Freo 2013 tho but have added fast offence and a Hawkslike precision to the mix.

Outgunned today but what worries me is that old bugbear of not taking our chances. Good 3rd quarter but still missed 3 gettable goals at the start of it and kicking straight could have made the difference last week too.

Don’t understand why we’ve never been able to take advantage of Sandi’s dominance, he was totally schooling Nankervis today but it didn’t matter.

I thought the young blokes took on the challenge and really had a crack and learnt a lot today.

I dunno if the umps were caught up in the moment at the start but I thought the tigers pressure was really enhanced by how quickly play on was called when Freo had a mark or a free, really didn’t let them take a breath.

Hope the boys bounce back up against the saints next week tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Either it's the biggest coincidence in history that literally everyone on our list has poor disposal, or it's our gameplan that leads to our poor disposal.
Or Richmond’s pressure caused many of the turnovers and in the period when that dropped off our skills improved for half an hour...

Or Richmond’s pressure caused many of the turnovers and in the period when that dropped off our skills improved for half an hour...

The point I am making is that our game plan makes it easier to put pressure on us because our players get sucked into the contest. When we win the ball, the only option to release is to a person who is near the contest, and therefore under pressure immediately.

Teams that spread wider are harder to pressure because you have to first close the gap to the player who received the ball. A 5m handpass to the outside is worlds better than a 2m handpass, that extra 3 meter head start is what gives you time to dispose of the ball without coming under physical pressure.

This has always been a fault of our game plan, even when we were winning. Watching our mids continually fire 2 meter handballs at each other and eventually turn it over as a result is 100% the most frustrating thing about watching Freo. Basically we're playing hot potato most of the time, and that's why our disposal is generally poor.

The point I am making is that our game plan makes it easier to put pressure on us because our players get sucked into the contest. When we win the ball, the only option to release is to a person who is near the contest, and therefore under pressure immediately.

Teams that spread wider are harder to pressure because you have to first close the gap to the player who received the ball. A 5m handpass to the outside is worlds better than a 2m handpass, that extra 3 meter head start is what gives you time to dispose of the ball without coming under physical pressure.

This has always been a fault of our game plan, even when we were winning. Watching our mids continually fire 2 meter handballs at each other and eventually turn it over as a result is 100% the most frustrating thing about watching Freo. Basically we're playing hot potato most of the time, and that's why our disposal is generally poor.

I agree and that comes down to coaching.
Does my head in watching us fight for it and fire off 2-3 handballs before being stripped and it goes the other way.

Richmond and Eagles both ran in waves and hand balled accordingly.

We tend to do circle work before hopefully releasing one player to break out.

Often our circle work ends up in a 10m backwards defensive handball and then you guessed it. Kick it down the line to no tall targets. If we’re brave and kick inboards or switch we have opened up play.

Has been a frustration of mine watching opposition teams ‘cherry pick’ by getting forward of the ball. That said it often leads to a scoring opportunity. Eagles do it well but can be found out if teams can win clearances.

I dunno if the umps were caught up in the moment at the start but I thought the tigers pressure was really enhanced by how quickly play on was called when Freo had a mark or a free, really didn’t let them take a breath.

Yeah that really stood out to me too. There was some sort of 3 second rule in play every time we had the ball and if our guys so much as swivelled their heads to look around the field they were called to play on.

I’m trying to remember a time when our forward line was this non-existent, I suppose in the 90s we had fewer options. Or first half performances..

Fyfe was heroic and the side is developing but this game makes it clear the club is still a number of major pieces from being a real threat. Hopefully we can build something before Fyfe fades.

With Sandi expected to be managed during the season, was today a game that perhaps he should have bee rested?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t understand why we’ve never been able to take advantage of Sandi’s dominance, he was totally schooling Nankervis today but it didn’t matter.

They set up against it. The taps go to Fyfe or Neale, they either block their run or block their exit. Force the quick handpass into congestion.

Bob's Glass Half Full Report:

• Son's first live Freo game. In amongst the cheersquad, gave good effort early with some fine flag work, before tiring and needing his game time managed in the second half (thank goodness for ABC For Kids & Smith's potato chips);
  • Nathan Fyfe in full flight is a sight to behold (some deft tap work too);
  • First time seeing the draft class of `17 live. Some real talent in there who will be better for the experience yesterday;
  • Brennan Cox has some hands on him;
  • If Zac Dawson was the Golden Fist then Joel Hamling is silver with a bullet;
  • Neale & Sandi were alright;
  • Nobody got injured;
  • We kept the reigning premiers & current league leaders to their first goalless quarter for the year;
  • The weather was superb;
  • Public transport worked;
  • I may be a culinary simpleton but a meat pie at the footy is one of life's great experiences

Yeah the Tigers haven't done that to anyone else in the last 12 months...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back