Preview Round 8, 2018: Fremantle v St.Kilda - Optus Stadium, Saturday 12th May, 6:10PM AWST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have very poor depth or should I say even depth. They are all D graders. Anyway Armo is the worry IMO. The midfield is slower
It's funny isn't it.....so many were saying we had great depth at the start of 2017 and also this pre season.

Both years we have been very badly exposed....but in much much worse circumstances this season.

My view is Newnes has a shoulder injury. Not won’t tackle can’t tackle.
Very interesting call Sainttony............that certainly could explain his fall off the cliff this season.

It's funny isn't it.....so many were saying we had great depth at the start of 2017 and also this pre season.

Both years we have been very badly exposed....but in much much worse circumstances this season.

Guilty as charged.

I think we were all expecting Acres to go up a notch, Billings to go up a notch. McCartin to come in and impact. Bruce to straighten up in front of goal. Membrey to continue on as a sharp shooter. Gresham and Sinclair to climb one more rung on the ladder. Roberton to cement himself in the AA team. Savage and Dunstan to continue their late 2017 form. Steele to show the benefits of his first full pre-season and Longer to dominate the ruck.

Instead they have all either succumbed to injury, failed to even make the starting lineup, or gone backwards in their output. Acres, Long and Hickey may be the only exceptions.

We all saw that coming.

Newnes is incredibly lucky to still be in the side. I'm not a fan of him staying in as I think he's had ample opportunity to up the tackling numbers and hasn't. If he's injured and can't tackle then he can't be playing, especially if our brand is pressure and tackling.

Having said that, I think Richo sees this as a very winnable game and a massive chance to get a bit of form back, which is why he's bringing as many senior players as he can.

I actually think we will win this game, the Dockers side looks very average and unbalanced to me, they have scoring issues of their own and I feel that with McCartin out (as sad as it is for him) it actually balances up our side a lot more.

I watched the last Fremantle game closely.
They put a lot of faith in their new players, Brayshaw and Cerra.
They must be curtailed.
Pearce is their key driver out of defence.
They like to have an open space forward line, with Ballantyne sitting on the half forward flank, riding shotgun.

For us to win I feel Skunk needs to play his best game for the season. We are bereft of goal kickers at the moment, especially with Billings out of form and Gresh dealing with more attention than previous years. Roma can’t seem to kick straight and will be a relief ruck anyways.

Skunk needs to be the man, otherwise I’m not sure how we kick a winning score.

Is it just me or have we seemed to have faced every team this year at their weakest point? Trend continues this week with Lyon under serious pressure, and Freo out of form.

And yet, hasn't helped us one iota.
Yes...your not the only one who has thought that.

Most times....the oppo has key players out etc etc...but it makes not one zac of difference to the final score...........

Infuriating !!!!!!!

Yeah but if we all do a course in Feminist Studies we can brow beat them and demean them until they spinelessly cave in to our more than reasonable demands.

We have to stand up to the Fascistic Patriarchy, then the great glory of The St.Kilda F.C. will finally be allowed to bloom.
PC garbage is going insane now. See the ABC last night had someone on there saying you need to get a babies consent before they have their nappies changed, good god. What garbage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newnes is incredibly lucky to still be in the side. I'm not a fan of him staying in as I think he's had ample opportunity to up the tackling numbers and hasn't. If he's injured and can't tackle then he can't be playing, especially if our brand is pressure and tackling.

Having said that, I think Richo sees this as a very winnable game and a massive chance to get a bit of form back, which is why he's bringing as many senior players as he can.

I actually think we will win this game, the Dockers side looks very average and unbalanced to me, they have scoring issues of their own and I feel that with McCartin out (as sad as it is for him) it actually balances up our side a lot more.
If the game was in Melbourne, I'd be much more confident. It's going to be tough in Perth. Totally agree on Newnes.

Totally agree on Newnes, Billings is extremely lucky too.

PC garbage is going insane now. See the ABC last night had someone on there saying you need to get a babies consent before they have their nappies changed, good god. What garbage.
Yah but if we step back far enough from it, it can be funny. Only posted this rubbish because as an answer to our problems it makes as much sense as criticising our forwards and defence, and it's more fun. ;):thumbsu:

Considering we have a C grade midfield, I reckon our defence does a great job
I dont believe this at all. We consistently face off against good inside midfields and come off equal with them in clearances and the like. Our issues in attack come down to finishing and giving our teammates an opportunity to execute properly with good spread and positioning. Granted our defensive spread out the back of our 50 is a worry but I dont think its the playing skill of our mids that are the issue in that.

Cmon dude, if you are going to have a crack, who did brown hold last week to hold his spot?

Hogan & McDonald put on a clinic.
Put on a clinic - as tall utilities perhaps not as tall forwards!!!

Hogan played very well did very little as a full forward though. Three goals -1 of which was charity from the umps after yet another "non - illegal disposal call" and another was a Joe the goose special - so he got one goal on Brown.

McDonald kicked a couple - and theoretically Carlisle was his direct opponent most of the time - hardly a clinic!!!

Brown will play on McCarthy which will leave Carlisle to hopefully dominate as the intercept marking player. Will have a field day if our mids and wings actually put some pressure on the kicker.

Considering we have a C grade midfield, I reckon our defence does a great job
The midfield haven’t/wasn’t bad in our early games, not perfect but battled hard.
Seriously think it has only been their kicking a long with the forwards on goals.
If we kick straight this year, IMO we would be in the eight & Richo would be our saviour.

The midfield haven’t/wasn’t bad in our early games, not perfect but battled hard.
Seriously think it has only been their kicking a long with the forwards on goals.
If we kick straight this year, IMO we would be in the eight & Richo would be our saviour.

As bad as we have kicked this year I doubt we win another game even if we kicked well at goal. This year there is much more to it than that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put on a clinic - as tall utilities perhaps not as tall forwards!!
I guess this just highlights the problem... most teams don't have a gorilla sized contested marking player so the need for a player to combat this is much lower than our need for players that can create an option for moving the ball out of our D50.

The number of times our opponent has scored this year vs their inside 50s is a huge problem as we have too many negating types that don't want the ball in their hands, having a "designated kicker" like savage is just far too easy to stop and super predictable.

Yeah guilty. Expected improvement from player who have gone backwards if anywhere at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back