Prediction R11: Changes vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

But Fyfe actually could do both (win a ton of contested ball and kick goals playing as a marking target forward in general play). Start him in the middle at every bouncedown and have him go for clearances at every stoppage in the forward half. He wins clearances but also is a marking target in the forward line in general play. Cerra, Brayshaw, Blakely (with Nealke still around) should be winning plenty of contested ball soon enough. Fyfe was such a natural forward in his first year of afl football and wins one on one contests in the forward fifty at an exceptional level. Im not sure how he wouldnt excel in the hybrid role and be of more value to the team winning than in a purely midfield role.
In time he surely will. Right now we probably don't have the cattle to get the ball from half back to half forward without him being involved in someway. His ability to win that contested ball in transition is invaluable. You'd at least need Taberner back to bring in the other strong contested marker that can play up passed half forward as the down the line option. Hopefully Apeness has a strong grab on him, I have no idea how good he will be.

Disagree. His best chance of being known as one of the greats is to be effective as both a forward and a midfield while lifting his team to premiership success as one of the best mids and also one of the best forwards in the game. The last two Brownlow Medalists play this role and became more damaging with their ability to play both roles. Ill never get the argument Fyfe will be average as a forward. When close to fully fit he has looked awesome in very brief time he starts in the forward fifty. I cant for the life of me also work out why the best use of Fyfe isnt to play him a role like Hird played where he regularly starts in the centre square and then pushes forward after the bounce and plays forward in general play. That way he also takes clearances in the forward half and the possessions he gains are in a more damaging part of the ground. His chance of being great certainly isnt helped by him winning a high number of possessions in the back half.

Not sure I agree. It's one of my pet peeves atm actually. Both Danger and Martin played a bit of forward in their Brownlow winning years (as does Fyfe tbh) but neither had anything like the 50/50 split some are suggesting Fyfe should have. This year in fact when both have had more of that 50/50 split they've both been well below their best imo. You play your best midfielder around the ball because that's where he'll see the most of it (particularly in a crap team like ours).

I think it's an idea that works well in theory but in practice Fyfe vs a key defender isn't actually that great a match-up for us compared to Fyfe drifting forward against a Ben Jacobs type.

Your logic is bizarre. Don’t you think Andy and Adam would learn a fair bit from being right there next to Fyfe watching him do his thing?
On their own their going to learn what it's like to get destroyed by AFL mids. I think I know which option they'd prefer.

I'm thinking of Blakely and Tucker more so than Andy and Adam. Even so, there's only so much you can learn by watching.

We will have to find alternative options if and when Fyfe goes down. It'd be better they have that exposure while we are not contending and when it's not forced and we can always the change if things start to get ugly

Personally I think that having Fyfe at CHF would work best for our team. Fyfe the forward wouldn't be as good as Fyfe the midfielder for him personally. But him forward would create more opportunities for the other forwards: there would be someone else getting the attention (good for McCarthy) and more genuine contest creating ground level opportunities (good for Ballas, Cerra, Crowden, etc). And Blakely would get more midfield time where he would probs play better. The team would be more balanced with more chance of turning some of our decent midfield play into scoreboard pressure.

But its what Taylor said: Fyfe has made it very clear over his career that he wants to be a midfielder and so that is where he will play the majority of his career. Anything else is just wishful thinking.

You could be right. He's got a Brownlow now and has likely matured so he might be more open to the idea.

Judging by Jones form in the reserves I'm not exactly sure he's got the best chance of being successful right now... If he gets a game he's getting thrown to the wolves here imo.
Maybe. There is definitely a dilemma. But he is the oldest and most experienced of the young rucks so I am less worried about him being chucked in the deep end. I don't really want Apeness rucking alone and I especially don't want Fyfe doing that stuff either.

Nads was a longshot that looks like it may pay off. Prior to this season his prospects were completely unknown.

I don't know about you, but I'd prefer we didn't lose every single game by 100+ points, which is exactly what would happen if you only played kids for a full year, you only need to look back 10 months to see this!

It's such garbage all these calls that kids must get thrown in because it's good for their development, like really? Is there evidence that that is the only and best option? Some kids develop better by going one level at a time, that means some WAFL first, young talls in particular. With our injury list being as long as it is, very few guys have missed out on potential AFL experience. I cannot name a single player at Peel who has screamed PICK ME over the last few weeks other than D. Pearce putting in some solid returns, and now Giro on return from injury.

Yes, let's get outraged about the yoof that hasn't been playing... except that's a complete lie.

100% agree!
How do people forget the Melbourne ‘strategy’ so easily?
They moved on all their late 20/30 yr olds to fast track the new draftees but they ended up having no one to learn from on or off field. A rebuild must be a transitional period or you spend years in the wilderness.

But why would you?

We would structure up better with Taberner/Cox/McCarthy than we would with Taberner/Kersten/McCarthy.

IMO McCarthy and Kersten are fighting over the same spot. Playing both of them together is just not a good structure.
I even conceded that Cox has more to offer than kersten.

Yes Cox can play at both ends of the ground. I was also thinking why kersten wasn't given a run of 3 or 4 games in a row in he 1st half of the season due to his ability to kick at set shots. But as you said, it seems Kirsten and McCarthy are fighting for that one spot sadly.

Would a Tabs/Cox/McCarthy combo work? Possibly but we wont find out until tabs comes back

Collins was given a go and destroyed throughout 2016, had bags kicked on him weekly

Collins would be behind Pearce and Hamling, no question about that. At best he would be a depth player for us. Pretty comfortable with the likes of Logue and Cox as talls who could play back there if required, but who have yet to settle exactly where their best position is.

12 games in 2016, 2 in 2017 and I wonder why every team was belting us?
Blame Owen.

earnt his way into the team in 2016 and played the rest of the season and showed he wasn't upto it.
Played his way in again but still wasn't upto it so didn't play again.

Fairly accurate assessment I would say?

Because he was an absolute spud is why.

FMD this board atm.

100% agree. Collins wasn't good enough.

Not to mention slow. And even looked quite unfit for a league footballer, there was game up on the GC iirc when he was trying to chase someone up the ground and he was moving like he had concrete boots on, it was borderline embarrassing.

When you look back at Sam Collins career, He played 10-12 games in 2016 as Freo were down to the bare bones when it came to the KPDS. Johnson was out Alex Pearce out, Silvagni out injured too. We only had 2 KPDs left and that was Dawson and Collins.

Collins only played 2 games in 2017 and it was easy to See why: Silvagni left and Hamling and Cox was recruited. Johnson played all 22 games, so did Hamling. that meant that 3rd tall spot was going to between Cox, Logue and Collins. Logue played 13 games, Cox Played around 10, Collins only played 2.

On top of that, Alex Pearce is returned from injury this year too. Would Collins be in Freos best 22? I say no. Would he get a game this season? Unlikely unless freo has injuries in the KPD department in which remarkably freo don't so far this season.

View attachment 505020

Maybe Ross has forgotten or it didn’t work out as they planned but he was definitely drafted as a KPF, says so in his Bio & was planned for as a long term replacement for Pav.

Ross said earlier in the year in a pre-game interview (think it was game 1 or 3?) that they had drafted Apeness as a forward but that the game had "changed" and that guys like Apeness could no longer just play forward and would need to play as a ruck equally as well. Implied that Taberner was in the same bracket.

Exactly this, defenders now need to offer rebound ... or play on and nullify all sorts of forwards, ranging from Hawkins, to P.Wright, to Buddy to Stringer. I'd be ok with Collins on maybe Hawkins, but too slow/not tall enough for the others. He's a good interecept marker, but so is L.Ryan and he can use the ball when he gets it...
Don't get me wrong, I rate Collins and was surprised he was delisted/not picked up again. But in reality he was quite far down the pecking order here (A.Pearce, Hamling, B.Cox, G. Logue, T.Duman) all probably have more potential at the top level.
When you look back at Sam Collins career, He played 10-12 games in 2016 as Freo were down to the bare bones when it came to the KPDS. Johnson was out Alex Pearce out, Silvagni out injured too. We only had 2 KPDs left and that was Dawson and Collins.

Collins only played 2 games in 2017 and it was easy to See why: Silvagni left and Hamling and Cox was recruited. Johnson played all 22 games, so did Hamling. that meant that 3rd tall spot was going to between Cox, Logue and Collins. Logue played 13 games, Cox Played around 10, Collins only played 2.

On top of that, Alex Pearce is returned from injury this year too. Would Collins be in Freos best 22? I say no. Would he get a game this season? Unlikely unless freo has injuries in the KPD department in which remarkably freo don't so far this season.
I understand that Collins is a depth player, but we have also cut all of the quality out of Peel. Then posters go on about no one standing out at Peel?
I would have kept Sam on for one more year personally, as it was a risk with A Pearce, thankfully he has stood up.
I still don't understand why we didn't keep Deboer, Barlow, around, as they would haves offered so much knowledge to the kids, on and off the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you want to take $20,000 to play for a WAFL club or $100,000 minimum at any AFL club?

Suban, Palmer, Clancee Pearce, Deluca etc didn't stay at Peel

I'm pretty sure he's talking about keeping him on the Freo list.

I understand that Collins is a depth player, but we have also cut all of the quality out of Peel. Then posters go on about no one standing out at Peel?
I would have kept Sam on for one more year personally, as it was a risk with A Pearce, thankfully he has stood up.
I still don't understand why we didn't keep Deboer, Barlow, around, as they would haves offered so much knowledge to the kids, on and off the field.
There’s enough experience with Fyfe and Mundy to educate the kids. Doubt DeBoer or Barlow could add much. Plus if we kept them on that was 2 less places available to kids - both on the list and in the team.

There’s enough experience with Fyfe and Mundy to educate the kids. Doubt DeBoer or Barlow could add much. Plus if we kept them on that was 2 less places available to kids - both on the list and in the team.
We lack leadership down at Peel, should of cut Sherro, Sutcliffe, D Pearce, before anyone else.

Keeping de Boer or Barlow, and maintaining the same list number would have meant overlooking Luke Ryan, or Brennan Cox too if both were retained.

McCarthy, Hill, Hamling, Kersten all came in that offseason before the draft.

In hindsight probably would have been better to cut DP and Ballas and keep DeBoer and Barlow. Would have been 2 very handy big bodied mids that could have protected the youngsters.

You could argue that Collins would have added more value as depth than picking both Meek and Jones so late in the draft.

Bit of a line ball call I would say. But boy was Collins’ kicking skills horrible.

On the flip side it seems we’re taking our chances via weight of numbers for the number rucks we have on the list. I expect a couple to get culled regardless of contract status at seasons end. All points to likely retirement of big Sandy at seasons end. Related to this argument we have significant KPD depth and he didn’t show me that he was future AFL defender. Great hands but kicking skills beyond terrible that never improved in the WAFL.

Are you actually suggesting that we keep players on the AFL list for the sole purpose of ensuring Peel are a stronger team. I seriously hope that is not what you're suggesting. What on earth is Sam Collins going to provide that everyone else can't?

Are you actually suggesting that we keep players on the AFL list for the sole purpose of ensuring Peel are a stronger team. I seriously hope that is not what you're suggesting. What on earth is Sam Collins going to provide that everyone else can't?
Agree with this. Honestly if we miss finals for Peel so be it. We had a good run and it was time to take a longer view approach. Should we keep Danyle Pearce or Surcliffe (taking up a list spot) for another year because they are handy at Peel.

Isn't that the same reasoning we use for keeping on the oldies in the senior team? I'd love us to recruit 3/4 of the best lower league players each year for Peel. At worst they create a great environment for our youngsters to grow, at best we've found some late gems for the senior team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back