Strategy WCE Tackling Efficiency

Remove this Banner Ad

i think Jetta lowers our tackling efficiency a bit. On Sunday I saw him try to tackle some guy and looked like he literally just brushed both hands down the guy's side. Would have been funny if it wasn't from my team!
Masten's tackles stuck a lot more than Jettas attempted tackles against Collingwood

The way Venners is going, he will improve this stat for us.
Agree
Does all the one percenters run, harasses,chase and tackles. Think it was in the third quarter where he started at HF end of the square and finish at HB side of square he made three conservative harassing against the Magpie opponents. Good speed - will get better when he is a lot fitter and experience.

I reckon we would have stuck maybe 10 tackles today?

Absolutely pathetic display of hunger and defensive pressure today.

Play like that in a final and we are no chance at all

I reckon we would have stuck maybe 10 tackles today?

Absolutely pathetic display of hunger and defensive pressure today.

Play like that in a final and we are no chance at all
Spot on.

Thankfully this game will have little to no bearing on September

:shoutyoldman:

Spot on.

Thankfully this game will have little to no bearing on September

:shoutyoldman:

Dunno about that. We've left the door open with a 40 point smacking like that. Could be the difference between 2 home finals, and going to play Collingwood at the 'G in the first week.

Very poor tackling, we literally leave it all to a handful of players. Cripps, Yeo, Hutchings and Redden are our strongest tacklers. Good on Darling today though for tackling strongly without much supply at all.

Dunno about that. We've left the door open with a 40 point smacking like that. Could be the difference between 2 home finals, and going to play Collingwood at the 'G in the first week.
I strangely don’t have this feeling whatsoever

However I will if we inexplicably drop the derby or Brisbane game

Melbourne are a challenge, hopefully we can knock them or Port off

Bump. Fix it Simmo you campaigner
x2
It's probably my #1 frustration with this team. Would probably be even higher than #1 if tackling was actually rewarded by the umpires, but it still kills me how often opponents can just brush our tackles aside and carry on with their day.

x2
It's probably my #1 frustration with this team. Would probably be even higher than #1 if tackling was actually rewarded by the umpires, but it still kills me how often opponents can just brush our tackles aside and carry on with their day.
Makes it very un-enjoyable to watch us sometimes tbh.

When we have possession, great. If we turn it over, you might as well close your eyes and pray that they kick it long and high to McGovern.

So much more satisfying to watch your side play when they're knuckling down and fighting for the footy

Cameron & Jones will help with this next year. Get their bodies right & get them in for rd 1.

We need to recruit a journeyman inside mid with consistently high tackle numbers, like Hugh Greenwood. Someone to play in that 6th or 7th mid spot instead of Hutch or Ainsworth, who just don't offer enough. Yeo's injury revealed a dire need for depth in this area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a serious, serious issue for us.

The North game we set a in game record this season for most broken tackles in a game (19?)

Aside from Yeo, too few want to do the tough stuff.

Simpson needs to get these boys doing some physical this pre season; boxing, wrestling, jujitsu etc

Too many guys on our list are almost allergic to defensive physical contact

Cameron & Jones will help with this next year. Get their bodies right & get them in for rd 1.

We need to recruit a journeyman inside mid with consistently high tackle numbers, like Hugh Greenwood. Someone to play in that 6th or 7th mid spot instead of Hutch or Ainsworth, who just don't offer enough. Yeo's injury revealed a dire need for depth in this area.
That’s what Redden used to be at Brisbane.

Between 2011-2014 he averaged 7 tackles a game.

This year he averaged 2.5 tackles a game.

This issue has been long-withstanding (arguably going back before Simpson's appointment) and is twofold:

• Stoppage mindset due to ruck dominance - the majority of midfielders are prioritising to break away and provide spread for the assumed stoppage clearance provided by the dominant ruck rather than marking an opponent. When the opposition gains possession (particularly upon turnover), many players are simply poorly positioned to make an effective tackle that will disrupt a possession chain. It's a catch-22 situation whereby the club is by far the best in the competition at scoring from stoppage clearances, but becomes terrible at preventing opposition counter-attack.

• Tackling opponents low and leaving both arms free to dispose - this one just annoys me to no end and has done so for at least a decade now. A classical tackle, executed around the waist and leaving the arms free to offload a handball is absolutely useless with the way rules are currently interpreted, and arguably a liability, as you are effectively removing a player from being able to defend whilst the opponent is able to continue to press forward into attack. In practical terms now, if you don't pin an arm, it is not a tackle. And this club is by far the worst offender in the competition for not pinning arms in tackles; it has been for a long time and it can only be from how it is being instructed. All the top ranked "pressure" teams conversely take the arms first before attacking the body in a tackle, as it prevents that questionable "handball" or tap-on from being executed and maintain dominance of territory. It baffles me how the club can be so successful in so many aspects and yet be so fundamentally inadequate here. It's literally the first thing I teach when coaching juniors about tackling - take the arms then the body.

This issue has been long-withstanding (arguably going back before Simpson's appointment) and is twofold:

• Stoppage mindset due to ruck dominance - the majority of midfielders are prioritising to break away and provide spread for the assumed stoppage clearance provided by the dominant ruck rather than marking an opponent. When the opposition gains possession (particularly upon turnover), many players are simply poorly positioned to make an effective tackle that will disrupt a possession chain. It's a catch-22 situation whereby the club is by far the best in the competition at scoring from stoppage clearances, but becomes terrible at preventing opposition counter-attack.

• Tackling opponents low and leaving both arms free to dispose - this one just annoys me to no end and has done so for at least a decade now. A classical tackle, executed around the waist and leaving the arms free to offload a handball is absolutely useless with the way rules are currently interpreted, and arguably a liability, as you are effectively removing a player from being able to defend whilst the opponent is able to continue to press forward into attack. In practical terms now, if you don't pin an arm, it is not a tackle. And this club is by far the worst offender in the competition for not pinning arms in tackles; it has been for a long time and it can only be from how it is being instructed. All the top ranked "pressure" teams conversely take the arms first before attacking the body in a tackle, as it prevents that questionable "handball" or tap-on from being executed and maintain dominance of territory. It baffles me how the club can be so successful in so many aspects and yet be so fundamentally inadequate here. It's literally the first thing I teach when coaching juniors about tackling - take the arms then the body.
Unless your natanui, who just crushes the player with the ball to the ground.

Bring back corralling
ElatedDizzyGuanaco-size_restricted.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back