Autopsy Rd 19 - Wait ... wut? Did we win? We s**t it in!

Remove this Banner Ad

That felt good. Real good.

Far and away our best game of the season and possibly our best since the Giants win last year.

Patty Cripps, what can I say that hasn't already been said. Absolute beast. Deserves the Brownlow but will fall short to that seagull in the brown and gold.

Charlie building, another good game from him. Showed up Rory Thompson who did the job on Buddy the week prior.

Kade, Murph and Ed all showing that desperately needed leadership. Murph in particular turned back the clock and was superb.

PADDY. WOW. This kid is gonna be a star. I know it's hard to miss with a top 5 pick but I think we could end up winning the draft with this one. That goal was unreal.

SPS showing all those doubters with the game of his career. When he gets a proper pre-season, watch out. He is Pendlebury and Andrew McLeod wrapped into one.

Great efforts from Weiters, Casey in his first game back and Rowey to keep Wright quiet after quarter time.

Darcy Lang was good as well. That's the standard I want to see from him week in and week out.

We can't underestimate the confidence that win will give our young group. We could be looking back in two or three years and pointing to this game as the starting point.

We'll probably get destroyed by the Giants but I don't care. The future is there. Onward and upward.
Agree with your sentiment at the end, but the likely crash back to earth next round still won't be fun lol. As long as we keep seeing the growth...

I'm all in on this guy. I really want us to look at trading Jones just to get this guy into best 22. Marchbank, Weitering and Macreadie are our future.

I believe the children are our future,
Teach them well and let them lead the way.

Ladies and gentlemen, MR RANDY WATSON!

Re: SPS, it's entirely possible that given a communication barrier, he just hasnt been able to properly understand the requirements of the zone the coaches have been trying to implement.

Then after quarter time on Saturday Night, instruction sent out to go 1-1 and play with instinct, and then wooshka, the SPS we saw v Collingwood last year returns for a cameo appearance.

Comparison to Pendlebury is a good one, just seems to always have that time for an extra step

Re: SPS, it's entirely possible that given a communication barrier, he just hasnt been able to properly understand the requirements of the zone the coaches have been trying to implement.

Then after quarter time on Saturday Night, instruction sent out to go 1-1 and play with instinct, and then wooshka, the SPS we saw v Collingwood last year returns for a cameo appearance.

Comparison to Pendlebury is a good one, just seems to always have that time for an extra step

Pretty sure he speaks English, but if not, who was the translator at quarter time?

Great analysis JAB. I think you are just about spot on. We desperately need quality Mids to fill the rotations and a couple of scary dangerous small forwards to work with Charlie and Harry. Surely it cant be hard to find a couple of Eddy Betts types? (J/k)
We certainly lack that great small forward type, Breust, Gray, Fantasia, Rioli

Rankin would be tempting for the recruiters. I'm hoping we get Butters in the 20's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing l noticed early was the presence of Byrne. We have lacked natural speed & flair of Half back all year without Doc, Willo, Byrne.

A few weeks ago when we were last in QLD playing Bris we had Simpson pull out at the last minute leaving very little in rebounding off half back other than a very young O'Brien.

With Harris Andrews out, in that game, Bolton went the only way he knew he could possibly win by playing overlap corridor footy & isolating Curnow one out. This game style normally shows up as similar kick to handball ratios. Similar ratios to our preseason games & 1st few games.

It worked well in the 1st quarter but with Beams on fire, Cripps well held & Phillips going down early & with Bris adapting to playing a distribution kicking game we had no answers playing reactive footy.

On Sat night Bolton was able to get the team to adapt to the conditions & to go one on one. Sydney is probably one of few teams that play more often than not, one on one these days. In the modern game, this style is probably not as effective on larger grounds/dryer conditions.

With a dozen or so players on the list out injured, and another 8 to 10 players playing on Sat night having an interrupted preseason/season, it was a great effort.

Especially happy for our young players & our young supporters.

God its overdue. Great to read so many positive comments for our young Bluebaggers.
One of my personal favourites apart from Crippa, Murph & Doc is the Cowboy SPS.
Really rapt to see him play a full solid game in the guts. Love the way he moves through traffic and also knowing they were playing in slippery conditions. SPS reminds me of a cross between Wanganeen & Rioli (great lateral movement).

Still have a nice warm feeling inside after that great win. :)
Would love to see them back up with another strong performance. :thumbsu:
Who Knows??? :think:

That pass from Dow to HMac was spot on (2-3 minutes in the 3rd) …. it was almost Casboult like how it bounced of his chest.

Hmac you need to lift son.

The first 5 minutes of the third were driven mostly by Dow and solid cameos to SPS. Dow refuses to give up, his second and third efforts are unreal. SPS has unbelievable hands down low especially on low ball half volley pick ups. He is too quick for our receiving players.

He is undervalued atm.

Amazing what happens when you put that zone in the bin, and play quickly with run, carry and handballs to make space. Hopefully we play like that for the rest of the year

A lot of people mentioning the zone and the ditching of it during the game. Do we have a concern with this longer term in terms of is Bolts game plan not the right way to go for this team or is it a case of certain people missing from the side ie Doc or a lack of experienced heads that it's not holding up?

I would have concerns if Bolts is being stubborn re a game plan that ain't working for this list. I know he dropped the zone earlier in the year when Adelaide towelled us up in the first quarter. Went man on man in the second and that got us back to almost square before they ran away again.

Why play that style at all if we seem to work much better doing it differently?

How was
The thing l noticed early was the presence of Byrne. We have lacked natural speed & flair of Half back all year without Doc, Willo, Byrne.

A few weeks ago when we were last in QLD playing Bris we had Simpson pull out at the last minute leaving very little in rebounding off half back other than a very young O'Brien.

With Harris Andrews out, in that game, Bolton went the only way he knew he could possibly win by playing overlap corridor footy & isolating Curnow one out. This game style normally shows up as similar kick to handball ratios. Similar ratios to our preseason games & 1st few games.

It worked well in the 1st quarter but with Beams on fire, Cripps well held & Phillips going down early & with Bris adapting to playing a distribution kicking game we had no answers playing reactive footy.

On Sat night Bolton was able to get the team to adapt to the conditions & to go one on one. Sydney is probably one of few teams that play more often than not, one on one these days. In the modern game, this style is probably not as effective on larger grounds/dryer conditions.

With a dozen or so players on the list out injured, and another 8 to 10 players playing on Sat night having an interrupted preseason/season, it was a great effort.

Especially happy for our young players & our young supporters.

Agreed. Big IN Byrne , imagine what we will be next year with Doc and Williamson back in.
Have missed the bigger bodies and even slightly more senior players like Bryne, throw a few more in like him and we wont just be a bunch of kids, rather men and some kids for a good mix.

Honestly based on the lack of experience we've had this year its no wonder we are where we are on the ladder.

On another note, I didn't watch the game, how was Harry Mckay?

How was

Agreed. Big IN Byrne , imagine what we will be next year with Doc and Williamson back in.
Have missed the bigger bodies and even slightly more senior players like Bryne, throw a few more in like him and we wont just be a bunch of kids, rather men and some kids for a good mix.

Honestly based on the lack of experience we've had this year its no wonder we are where we are on the ladder.

On another note, I didn't watch the game, how was Harry Mckay?

Harry was ok. Worked well at times with Charlie.

In all games he has played, with limited ball supply at times with how the team has been playing, he has had plenty of shots on goal. He seems to read the ball of the boot very early, is very good below his knees for his height & has explosive run and carry. He showed glimpses of these attributes on the weekend.

Whether he builds physically to take pack contested ball, time will tell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back