Autopsy Rd 19 - Wait ... wut? Did we win? We s**t it in!

Remove this Banner Ad

We certainly lack that great small forward type, Breust, Gray, Fantasia, Rioli

Rankin would be tempting for the recruiters. I'm hoping we get Butters in the 20's.
Bolded are what I'd term - at least when Gray plays forward - small keys, because the way they play their roles resembles Brad Johnson rather than Eddie Betts/Lindsay Thomas/Cyril Rioli goalsneak/pressure forward that you see in your true small forwards.

We don't really need a small key; we've enough marking targets. I absolutely agree with your point, though, in that we really do need to get in a goalsneak with a decent pressure game to put pressure on Wright's position and hopefully to develop and take his place.

That said, couldn't say no to getting in a Robbie Gray clone, though.

Harry was ok. Worked well at times with Charlie.

In all games he has played, with limited ball supply at times with how the team has been playing, he has had plenty of shots on goal. He seems to read the ball of the boot very early, is very good below his knees for his height & has explosive run and carry. He showed glimpses of these attributes on the weekend.

Whether he builds physically to take pack contested ball, time will tell.
The spoil that set up the first goal was really clever.

Bolded are what I'd term - at least when Gray plays forward - small keys, because the way they play their roles resembles Brad Johnson rather than Eddie Betts/Lindsay Thomas/Cyril Rioli goalsneak/pressure forward that you see in your true small forwards.

We don't really need a small key; we've enough marking targets. I absolutely agree with your point, though, in that we really do need to get in a goalsneak with a decent pressure game to put pressure on Wright's position and hopefully to develop and take his place.

That said, couldn't say no to getting in a Robbie Gray clone, though.

Belongs in List Management!

Coaches' Votes

10 - Patrick Cripps (CARL)
6 - Kade Simpson (CARL)
6 - Charlie Curnow (CARL)
4 - Marc Murphy (CARL)
2 - Ed Curnow (CARL)
1 - Sam Petrevski-Seton (CARL)
1 - Darcy Lang (CARL)

Cripps
Murphy
Charlie
Simmo
Lang/Samo

Cripps
Simmo
Charlie
Ed
Samo/Lang

Is this right (allowing that either Simmo or Charlie would be the 3/3 and 4/2)?

Have I worked it right that one coach gave Murph 4, and the other 0?...

How was

Agreed. Big IN Byrne , imagine what we will be next year with Doc and Williamson back in.
Have missed the bigger bodies and even slightly more senior players like Bryne, throw a few more in like him and we wont just be a bunch of kids, rather men and some kids for a good mix.

Honestly based on the lack of experience we've had this year its no wonder we are where we are on the ladder.

On another note, I didn't watch the game, how was Harry Mckay?

The commentators (rightly IMO) drew attention to Harry not crashing packs when he could have, but he was OK overall and will benefit from playing alongside Charlie as much as possible

Just watched game for first time.
Highlight for me was Harry’s non goal on the 3/4 time siren.
That was seriously Buddyesque type stuff....amazing agility
Oh and Samo, great game but a word of advice.....don’t throw your leg out like that again. Dodged a bullet there.

A bit late to the feedback party but just have to put something down given it was only our second win.

Things i noticed in the game:
  • Less chaos in defence without Liam Jones. A few collisions early but just seemed a better mix down back. How much of that was off the back of a weak GC midifeld on the day we will soon find out.
  • Byrne just looked so good. Straight line running, physical, intangible non possession benefits. All of a sudden the cries for the Sydney defender go quiet as Byrne and docherty start looking like something we can rely on.
  • Marchbank back to the type of player we want to see. Set himself for the game with his runs back with the flight. 2019 could be anything for him.
  • SPS got off the leash in this one and showed us a lot of what we want to see. In a nutshell it shows where our young guys are at the moment. GC weren't big or good in the midfield and our younger guys flourished. Once our guys are fighting on a equal footing (age 22-26) this is what we will see week in week out. We all just have to hold the line through development years.
  • Lobbe. Second half he changed his approach and was really effective. He ran around Witts at the centre bounces, leapt and won some taps. It showed nous, competitiveness. Really impressive to see how he overcome the height of Witts.
  • Charlie/Cripps. Guns.
  • Lang. Tackling and great effort.
  • Everyone else. All showed something except Polson. I know, why pick on him when we had a good win. I just not seeing it with Polson if im an honest observer. As ever, in 2018 keep playing him. In 2019, im crossing my fingers over others ahead of him.
Game plan. Interestingly enough when we opened up the game in the second half everyone looked world beaters and B+ to A graders. Interesting how gameday strat plays such a big part of of how players look. One min SPS is lost and a nust as people sneakily talk about him for Cerra. One week later and a slightly diff gameplan and result no one wants to swap SPS any more. Next time he has an average game factor in the gameplan and the collective effect on him.

This list is going somewhere very exciting. When they hit 22-25 exciting s**t is going to happen. I'm sneakily bullish on Curnow, Cripps, Docharty, Marchbank, Dow and Weitering being all Australians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still on a high 48 hours after the game finished.

I couldn't get over how the body language/demeanour of the team changed as they worked there way into the game in the 2nd quarter. Then when they started getting reward for effort with goals early in the 3rd quarter, you could see the belief kicking in.

To see us kicking goals from stoppages, end to end stuff & beautiful delivery into the forward line just made you realise that this team is definitely capable of better than what we have seen for much of this year. I hope they continue to back themselves in for the rest of the season.

How good was it to see Byrne out there providing run from defence. As I have said on a number of occasions, he is a 70-80 metre player for us. If he can get some continuity in 2019, I think we will see him playing consistently better football than what Tuohy did/does.

I said prior to the game that I hoped Lang would bring to this game the same defensive pressure which he had displayed in the VFL last week & sure enough he followed up his 10 tackles from last week with another 9 this week. He also hit the scoreboard, which was important with Charlie & 'H' not able to do so as much as we would have liked.

26 disposals from SPS, most of them silky. How good was his pass to Charlie on the lead? Remember when Fev said that he loved getting on the end of Houlihan's passes? Our forwards are going to be expressing similar sentiments about SPS in the coming years.

Kudos to Sammy Rowe for totalling shutting 2 metre Peter out of the game after he had kicked 2 early goals. You could see the frustration on Wright's face as Rowe consistently nullified his efforts to get hands on the ball.

I could wax lyrical about our effort for pages however I think my fellow posters have covered most of what I would want to say. Suffice to say that it is so good to feel the winning feeling again. Let's hope we don't have another 9 week drought anytime soon.

Re: SPS, it's entirely possible that given a communication barrier, he just hasnt been able to properly understand the requirements of the zone the coaches have been trying to implement.

Then after quarter time on Saturday Night, instruction sent out to go 1-1 and play with instinct, and then wooshka, the SPS we saw v Collingwood last year returns for a cameo appearance.

Comparison to Pendlebury is a good one, just seems to always have that time for an extra step
Have heard from friend of a friend who was involved in our fitness department that Bolts' game plan is incredibly complicated. Something he might need to learn to simplify as he matures in the job.

They are very close at the same age, in fact marginal over 20 metres

Cuningham - 2.91
Dow 2.916
Speed to the ball is a good thing. Decision making and speed with the ball even more so. If it was athletics they are even. On the playing arena right now perhaps Dow is ahead by a bigger margin than .006

Remove this Banner Ad

Back