Preview Round 22, 2018: St.Kilda v Hawthorn - Etihad Stadium, Saturday 18th August, 7:25PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • Hawks

Votes: 73 84.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd think our ruck would follow theirs whenever they go forward (takes out McEvoy and Pittonet), so you've got Hughy for Schoey I guess, plus Austin and Carlisle as spare talls. Gunston and Burton are the more mobile ones so hopefully Austin is capable of going with one of them.
That first comment makes no sense to me.

One of McEvoy and Pittonet will be in the ruck at presumably all times and Pierce will be rucking against whichever of those two is in there, for probably 80% of the game.

He won't be playing on them when they're playing forward, which will presumably be for 60-80% of the game. Carlisle or Hugh will likely line up on them when they're playing forward for that time and the other one will presumably be on Schoey.

That leaves Austin for whichever of Gunston or Burton are playing forward, which I would have thought are pretty ideal match-ups for him, given he looks to me to be more of a "3rd tall" type.

That means we don't have to have the likes of Webster and D-Mac playing on them and giving away significant height.

Last edited:
That first comment makes no sense to me.

One of McEvoy and Pittonet will be in the ruck at presumably all times and Pierce will be rucking against whichever of those two is in the ruck, for probably 80% of the game.

He won't be playing on them when they're playing forward, which will presumably be for 60-80% of the game. Carlisle or Hugh will line up on them when they're playing forward for that time and the other one will presumably be on Schoey.

That leaves Austin for whichever of Gunston or Burton are playing forward, which I would have thought are pretty ideal match-ups for him, given he looks to me to be more of a "3rd tall" type.

That means we don't have to have the likes of Webster and D-Mac playing on them and giving away significant height.
And a 3rd tall freeing up Webster would mean he is available to play the loose man instead of geary.

As much as I admire Jack Newnes' determination, he has played at least a dozen absolute shockers this year. If Blake Acres played even one game as bad as any of those I'm sure he Richo would have dropped him without blinking, but Newnes somehow keeps on getting picked. It would have been better for Jack to have had a couple of games in the two's to get his confidence back rather than keep battling away as he has been lately. (And no, 0.8 goals per game doesn't justify keeping his spot.)

Here's a list of a few handy players that have spent time at Sandy over the past three years whilst JN has continued to get picked:

Jack Billings
Jade Gresham
Jimmy Webster
Shane Savage
Blake Acres
Jack Sinclair
Tim Membrey
Paddy McCartin
Ben Long
Hunter Clark
Josh Bruce
Jack Steel
David Armitage
Josh Battle
(and now Nathan Freeman can be added to the list)

Poor old Brown- gives Saad a decent side on bump, Saad gets a bit of whiplash, Ch 7 commentators reckon Brown has committed a massive crime against humanity, and yet Saad is walking around later in the game and gets selected this week!!! Brown out for 3!!

Meantime, Tex gets two for sling tackling Kelly who will not be playing this week.

And a 3rd tall freeing up Webster would mean he is available to play the loose man instead of geary.
Exactly. Of all the things to melt about this seems the strangest to me. Hawthorn have named plenty of height in their team.

McEvoy 200cm - Pierce 203cm
Pittonet 202cm - Marshall 201cm
Schoey 195cm - Membrey 188cm
Gunston 193cm- ?
Burton 191cm - Acres 191cm
Frawley 193cm- Goddard 196cm
Brand 198cm - Carlisle 202cm
Stratton 189cm - Austin 194cm

If anything they've gone taller than us, as the above shows, as they have one more who does or can play tall.

Last edited:
Not only is Newnes still in the team but Sinclair who’s had an awful last month keeps his place as well while Freeman who has done some good work gets dropped , I don’t get it .

Go Saints

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else think that Sinc's thoughts and interests may lie elsewhere?

Off to the Bomber with his best mate Billings?

I’d love Freezer to just walk away from us now. Deserves way better treatment than this. Let him go to Sydney as part of the deal for Hanners.

If there is a medical reason then the club should have put out a statement this afternoon to soften the blow. We are run by the dumbest people in footy right now.

I’d love Freezer to just walk away from us now. Deserves way better treatment than this. Let him go to Sydney as part of the deal for Hanners.

If there is a medical reason then the club should have put out a statement this afternoon to soften the blow. We are run by the dumbest people in footy right now.

Billings daddy speaking for the two of them huh? Aww, bless. Agree with your Freeman comments. What is there to lose by playing him, even on managed minutes, for the remainder of the year. All the kids should be in as far as I'm concerned, and should've been for the last 5 games of the year. Team doesn't need experience, when they've shown NO leadership. Other than Ross, Steven, Webster, Membrey & Carlisle, the rest should all be 23 & under.

Come on mate we all know who the loose man will be. We could have a prime Sam Fisher and Richo would have Geary running around free.

Didn't you get the PM?

What has happened to White? Hardly played a bad game in the seniors.

When I asked a couple of weeks back someone mentioned he was injured. Not sure if accurate or not. Any ITKs with any more info? Disappointing he hasn’t played more games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back