Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, James Worpel, pick #43 2017 - Peter Crimmins medalist 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Robbed by champion data last night thought The Worepdo.

27 touches and a goal for only 70 points.

Played a ripper again though. Even had a non-hawks fan mate message and ask 'who the blonde kid' is.

If people here don’t think Geelong will not be eyeing off young James as Selwood’s direct replacement in a couple of years, they’d be dreaming.
No doubt they would be. But it's not often anyone in our best 22 leaves us. The only exceptions tend to be in instances where we literally cannot provide what they're after (eg. Buddy wanted to live in Sydney)

Robbed by champion data last night thought The Worepdo.

27 touches and a goal for only 70 points.

Played a ripper again though. Even had a non-hawks fan mate message and ask 'who the blonde kid' is.

He had several clangers which explains the points. Unfortunately you don't get points for fend-offs and breaking tackles. He was definitely more impressive than that point system indicates.

Yeah he did tonight in his 7-8th game. The kid you’re talking about has been on the list a while and been forgiven for plenty of shocking performances. Just this year he hasn’t been afforded same leeway.
Hang on a minute? You’re talking about the 20yr old Irish kid, who has just played his 10th game?

He’s “been forgiven for plenty of shocking performances”?

Ironic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very similar in that they burst through with pace and power and shank a kick or slam it on the boot. That's exactly what Langford does and what Worpel did last night on occasions. Worpels kicking not under pressure though is much better.
Langford kicks like that all the time even when not under pressure, Sam Mitchell use to just hack it forward in his early days, if he's still doing it in his third and fourth season than you may have a comparison. I think comparing Worpel to Langford is stupid at this point in time.

He went Fogarty and Constable instead yeah?

That's right TD, actually Fogarty, Kelly then Constable. 22, 24 and 35.
We had JW training with us but the kicking efficiency knock went viral here before the draft.
Kelly is a ripper player a great pick and l reckon Constable who's a big mid has big potential and will play next year.
Not so thrilled with Fogarty just to limited imo. I would've rather we roll the dice on Worphel a Geelong falcons boy that never should've got away.
Ideal Joel replacement l thought, a real tough nut. You did well.

Mate I noticed u post this a few times and to be honest ure picking on the wrong player. Corey Enright was a gun. One of the best players in his position for the history of the game.
Totally agree - and he was a gun. But did he deserve as many AA guernseys as he got? No, especially as someone like Grant Birchall only has 1 - FFS, those two have been the best two in their position over the last 10 years.

My point (albeit being made clumsily), is that the AA teams over theist 10 years have often been picked on reputation than actually performance. Look at 2013. We finish top, win the flag, yet have 2 x AA and Geelong have 4? WTF?

Totally agree - and he was a gun. But did he deserve as many AA guernseys as he got? No, especially as someone like Grant Birchall only has 1 - FFS, those two have been the best two in their position over the last 10 years.

My point (albeit being made clumsily), is that the AA teams over theist 10 years have often been picked on reputation than actually performance. Look at 2013. We finish top, win the flag, yet have 2 x AA and Geelong have 4? WTF?
Because at hawthorn under clarkson it was never about the individual but about the team. Quite a few of our gun players during this time didnt play in their best positions but rather in positions that best helped / suited the team. No one player was above the team even Franklin who had to play a different role in 2013

That's right TD, actually Fogarty, Kelly then Constable. 22, 24 and 35.
We had JW training with us but the kicking efficiency knock went viral here before the draft.
Kelly is a ripper player a great pick and l reckon Constable who's a big mid has big potential and will play next year.
Not so thrilled with Fogarty just to limited imo. I would've rather we roll the dice on Worphel a Geelong falcons boy that never should've got away.
Ideal Joel replacement l thought, a real tough nut. You did well.

Can't blame Wells for picking Kelly, despite his age he would be the number one player out of this draft currently. As for the others, this is yet to be seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back