Rumour Beams coming on heavy, hot and strong (Beams & picks 41 & 44 for 18, 56, COL's 2019 1st rd)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree with you. The current trend of contract breaking is completely nuts and makes no sense whatsoever. The power is completely in the hands of the players, or more specifically the player managers, and something should have been done about it a long time ago.
The problem now is that it will be extremely difficult to reign it in, but not impossible.

Given generally how much of a bully the AFL is, I must admit my surprise that they're now the bitches of the AFLPA and Player Agents.

I just doubt the AFL's appetite to honestly do anything about it.

The problem now is that it will be extremely difficult to reign it in, but not impossible.

Given generally how much of a bully the AFL is, I must admit my surprise that they're now the bitches of the AFLPA and Player Agents.

I just doubt the AFL's appetite to honestly do anything about it.

I think there's more money in Melbourne clubs winning the grand final.

Given where player movement is trending, i think the AFL are happy to let the situation unfold as it is.

Ideally for the AFL us and the suns are constantly in the 6th-10th range. Competitive enough to draw the big crowds without actually nicking a grand final from those who deserve it.

Too bad they didn't account for alpha Nobes and wholesome Fagan. We're going all the way baaaaaaby.

I completely agree with you. The current trend of contract breaking is completely nuts and makes no sense whatsoever. The power is completely in the hands of the players, or more specifically the player managers, and something should have been done about it a long time ago.

Heard a discussion on SEN where earlier in the day Kane Cornes thought that if a player breaks a front ended contract, he should only be paid (at his new club) the equivalent of pay left on that contract.

e.g ........So instead of Beams getting top money with us, then it tapers off to half that in last 2 years of contract, he only gets that last 2yrs pay at Pies.

...hope I've worded that to get the gist. On thinking about, I thought it not a bad idea. Instead of Beams now getting top money again at Pies, he'd only get the bit left of contract for his next 2yrs at Pies. (I think I've repeated myself but anyhow, hope you can work out what I mean:huh:)

Reckon it's worth thinking about because something has to be done, it's a rort otherwise.

A few examples of clubs telling people to explore their options as well. Burton being told he was trade bait is an example.

At the same time Kelly wasn't traded

Heard a discussion on SEN where earlier in the day Kane Cornes thought that if a player breaks a front ended contract, he should only be paid (at his new club) the equivalent of pay left on that contract.

e.g ........So instead of Beams getting top money with us, then it tapers off to half that in last 2 years of contract, he only gets that last 2yrs pay at Pies.

...hope I've worded that to get the gist. On thinking about, I thought it not a bad idea. Instead of Beams now getting top money again at Pies, he'd only get the bit left of contract for his next 2yrs at Pies. (I think I've repeated myself but anyhow, hope you can work out what I mean:huh:)

Reckon it's worth thinking about because something has to be done, it's a rort otherwise.

The downside of that is that the poaching club gets an absolute bargain which offers more incentive to poach. And considering the AFL turns a massive blind eye to third party payments, that is a worry for a club like us.

Eddie: “don’t worry about how to get that extra money Beamer, oh on a completely different note have you met my friend John. He is the managing director of Holden.”

The downside of that is that the poaching club gets an absolute bargain which offers more incentive to poach. And considering the AFL turns a massive blind eye to third party payments, that is a worry for a club like us.

Eddie: “don’t worry about how to get that extra money Beamer, oh on a completely different note have you met my friend John. He is the managing director of Holden.”
And massive money for a short spot on the footy show.... not that would ever happen

Yes, there is that....but there has to be a solution though somewhere. It needs to be fixed asap.

This would never happen. Never. Would it Eddie?

Chris Judd would never happen again. Trust the AFL to guarantee it.

We need to get our own "Eddie's".

There will never be a "solution" until it's in the interests of the core VFL.

If Quaynor is bid on after 18, you can definitely make the case that Collingwood gave away another first round talent. Clubs would happily wear a deficit in the second or third round in future years to get that extra high draft talent in.

Richmond did a pick swap deal last year to squeeze maximum value by positioning their first pick right before third father son bid was expected. One example of many.

Brisbane fans have been dealing with the academy process longer than Pies fans. We get how it works.

There is certainly merit in the swap the Pies did. I predicted it days before it happened, but there is certainly a price that was paid, as you would expect to get a player like Beams.

Well said. Just Collingwood spin doctors at work. Of course if he is bid on prior to pick 18 then well played.

Well said. Just Collingwood spin doctors at work. Of course if he is bid on prior to pick 18 then well played.

What about if he got bid on *at* 18 ;)

(not that I have any idea if he is someone we would want)

The breaking of contracts is as much about the player wanting to leave as it is the club agreeing to the trade, it’s not one way traffick.

The Cats have bucked the trend this year, knowing that, they will likely lose Kelly next year however, having him for one more year and another crack at finals/grand final is worth the risk, he’ll they may even convince him to sign a new contract - unlikely.

Clubs trade early to maximise their return, players ask for trade early knowing the club will likely try and maximise their return and would likely do a deal.

When and if the AFL do away with compensation for free or restricted free agents then there needs to be strong consideration given to trading of players to clubs without consent, it then becomes about the new club backing itself to keep the player after their contract expires - PG/OKC perfect example.

Just my two bobs worth.

The breaking of contracts is as much about the player wanting to leave as it is the club agreeing to the trade, it’s not one way traffick.

The Cats have bucked the trend this year, knowing that, they will likely lose Kelly next year however, having him for one more year and another crack at finals/grand final is worth the risk, he’ll they may even convince him to sign a new contract - unlikely.

Clubs trade early to maximise their return, players ask for trade early knowing the club will likely try and maximise their return and would likely do a deal.

When and if the AFL do away with compensation for free or restricted free agents then there needs to be strong consideration given to trading of players to clubs without consent, it then becomes about the new club backing itself to keep the player after their contract expires - PG/OKC perfect example.

Just my two bobs worth.
Kelly is also on a draftee wage. No wonder they wanted overs. That is essentially 500k to the good for them.

Frankly good on them for holding their ground.

I liked a later caller's proposal that where front-loaded contracts are involved, the club poaching player would have to pay back the excess amount to the club and that amount be included in the poaching clubs cap expenditure 1st season on top of the player's salary..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recon they should bring fees for getting players in contract. 10% of the contract total or something that the receiving club pays out of their cap and gets added to the losing clubs cap.

The logical thing to do would be allow clubs to trade cap space or cash considerations. Considering the AFL appears to be attempting to replicate the USA systems of player movement, I wouldn’t be surprised if this comes in sooner rather than later.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Best result for everyone. I recon Fagan would have said whatever you do I don't want this bloke back after what happened last week. I would rather have a guy like Mitch Robinson on our list who has half the talent but whose heart is with the Lions.

ps: Bit harsh on Mitch saying he has 1/2 the talent. He's a Lions B&F winner, rates well on Afl Fantasy (usually around 90). Imo he gives our team a bit of a harder edge with his in your face and fearless style.

Just sayin :)

ps: Bit harsh on Mitch saying he has 1/2 the talent. He's a Lions B&F winner, rates well on Afl Fantasy (usually around 90). Imo he gives our team a bit of a harder edge with his in your face and fearless style.

Just sayin :)

In addition to this, Mitch is a better all rounder than Beams. He also inspires the rest of the team to be rougher in their approach to the contest. Would like to see him in some sort of coaching role because of that, if he can teach that to others.

Haven't followed this thread since trade day, so didn't know what everyone was still discussing.

Read up top of the page people talking about Beams front ended contract. Wonder if everyone knows Neale was on a front loaded contract as well, and next year his wage was very low at Freo.

File this well and truly in the rumour file but Ricky Nixon claiming on Twitter (a heap of times) that the only reason why this got done is because there was a side deal, could be picks, could be an agreement to trade a player in the future, maybe Collingwood have agreed to request an away Gabba game for next few years, who knows, all he’ll say is “Brisbane got the deal of the century” and “trust me the side deal is amazing”

He is also picking Collingwood for a massive drop off next year so let’s hope he’s right.

Last edited:
File this well and truly in the rumour file but Ricky Nixon claiming on Twitter (a heap of times) that the only reason why this got done is because there was a side deal, could be picks, could be an agreement to trade a player in the future, maybe Collingwood have agreed to request an away Gabba game for next few years, who knows, all he’ll say is “Brisbane got the deal of the century”
I think the side deal is that we don’t bid on Isaac Quaynor with pick 18!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back