Rumour Beams coming on heavy, hot and strong (Beams & picks 41 & 44 for 18, 56, COL's 2019 1st rd)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think in the end the trade was a fair deal for both clubs.
I can understand the angst at having a key player, and former Captain, leave because Pies supporters went through the same emotion when Beams asked to leave the Pies.
I think it is great testament to the game that, in this day and age, a player can, successfully request to be traded for a legitimate reason and then, when that reason no longer exists, return to the club he was traded from without too much chagrin.

The Carolyn Wilson's and drunken Slobbo's of the world not withstanding, the story is a good one.
Initially Collingwood fans thought they were dudded with the compensation for a premiership mid, but in reality we have reaped great reward in Crispy and DeGoey.
I don't think the Pies paid overs in the trade back, although the "meedja" will make great hay of it the next few months with little else to whine about.

From a human perspective I can't see how Beams could have done it any differently, He ensured the Pies got good value for his trade to the Lions and made sure the Lions got good value for the trade back.

No-one is perfect sure but I can't fault his motives.
He is shy in front of the cameras and comes over nervously, but you can understand his focus on family, first his father and brother and now his wife.

The posts of his Brisbane team mates stand testament to how those closest to him see the events.

There are those on both boards who hope he fails, hope he has some mental issue which cripples him professionally, but I just see this as people forgetting that AFL players are in reality just people who are good at footy.
Fallible like you and I, but trying.

There are real pricks in the AFL.

I just don't think Beams is one of them.

I think both sides won in the long term.

I'm conflicted.

I actually like your post even if I don't agree with some of its content. It's well thought out, measured and conciliatory:thumbsu:

Now can we please close this Thread once and for all???

It's like clickbait.

I keep vowing that not only will I not read it anymore, I definitely won't reply.....yet here I am:oops:

I think in the end the trade was a fair deal for both clubs.
I can understand the angst at having a key player, and former Captain, leave because Pies supporters went through the same emotion when Beams asked to leave the Pies.
I think it is great testament to the game that, in this day and age, a player can, successfully request to be traded for a legitimate reason and then, when that reason no longer exists, return to the club he was traded from without too much chagrin.

The Carolyn Wilson's and drunken Slobbo's of the world not withstanding, the story is a good one.
Initially Collingwood fans thought they were dudded with the compensation for a premiership mid, but in reality we have reaped great reward in Crispy and DeGoey.
I don't think the Pies paid overs in the trade back, although the "meedja" will make great hay of it the next few months with little else to whine about.

From a human perspective I can't see how Beams could have done it any differently, He ensured the Pies got good value for his trade to the Lions and made sure the Lions got good value for the trade back.

No-one is perfect sure but I can't fault his motives.
He is shy in front of the cameras and comes over nervously, but you can understand his focus on family, first his father and brother and now his wife.

The posts of his Brisbane team mates stand testament to how those closest to him see the events.

There are those on both boards who hope he fails, hope he has some mental issue which cripples him professionally, but I just see this as people forgetting that AFL players are in reality just people who are good at footy.
Fallible like you and I, but trying.

There are real pricks in the AFL.

I just don't think Beams is one of them.

I think both sides won in the long term.
Most of that post is the biggest load of BS. Yep, Caroline Wilson and Robinson got their stories wrong.:rolleyes:

Beams out and out lied to people at the club, double sealed, went behind the club’s back, told more BS at the BnF, undermined the club by stating three quarters of the way through trade period he wanted out; oh and it has to be to Collingwood only, so **** him, the guy is a selfish liar and only cares about himself irrespective of the detriment it causes other, all the while playing the victim card.

Spare me the sob story of what a great story it is that football allows him to return to Collingwood. After what our club did for that campaigner and this is the thanks we get, not forgetting his heart has always been with Collingwood, give me a break. I ain’t buying a percent of your BS post.

Most of that post is the biggest load of BS. Yep, Caroline Wilson and Robinson got their stories wrong.:rolleyes:

Beams out and out lied to people at the club, double sealed, went behind the club’s back, told more BS at the BnF, undermined the club by stating three quarters of the way through trade period he wanted out; oh and it has to be to Collingwood only, so **** him, the guy is a selfish liar and only cares about himself irrespective of the detriment it causes other, all the while playing the victim card.

Spare me the sob story of what a great story it is that football allows him to return to Collingwood. After what our club did for that campaigner and this is the thanks we get, not forgetting his heart has always been with Collingwood, give me a break. I ain’t buying a percent of your BS post.

All this anger and aggression over a sport is not worth the stress Dylan. Surely that is something this trade period has taught us all?

Just on the Possum tweet about the Pies not even making the GF if they had Beams, I don't think he meant to cast aspersions on Dayne. He followed up with another one to clarify, and his point was that if Beams had never left, they wouldn't have De Goey, Crisp and Greenwood.

What did Caro say that Beams should apologise for? Must have missed that

Caro wrote in August that Beams was two timing the Lions (to paraphrase).

He screen shotted it and posted on Instagram with the poo emoji.

Caro is not everyone's favourite but our game is lucky to have her. Knows her s**t, pardon the pun.

I don’t agree with the post either but it warranted a better response than this. Let’s encourage posters who take the time to think their posts through rather than hit them with this level of vitriol simply because you don’t agree.

I don’t agree with the post either but it warranted a better response than this. Let’s encourage posters who take the time to think their posts through rather than hit them with this level of vitriol simply because you don’t agree.

I wouldn't go as far as Dylan did, but it did read a little bit like he wanted us to concede its good foolr football that Dayne left us. Just dressed it up and out some lipstick on it to make it more palatable.

It will be interesting to see how he and the Pies goes with his lack of defensive running next year and whether that changes the way they need to defend next year, keeping in mind they don’t really have the gorilla defenders and rely more on a (very good) team defence.

He is a great attacking player as we all know, but it was obvious watching from the stands this year he didn’t care a whole lot, about what was happening the other way.

They’re probably lucky they’ve got a couple of other midfielders to cover him in that regard but let’s be honest who here isn’t secretly hoping for a Beams and Bucks blow up next year due to a lack of it??

Very good post. However, l disagree with you bout the part that says he ensured the Lions got good value for us. He blindsided us and gave us onlyhalf of the trade week to talk with anyone. His management was talking to Collingwood and Freo behind our backs so that we were cornered and had to take what Collingwood would offer so we could get Neale. It was only due to Noble's shrewd trading (which lost us our 2019 first rounder) to get proper compensation from you. So Beams, didn't help there at all
I think Beams initially, like most thought, the Pies were going to go hard to get, first Lynch and if not May.
Once it was obvious Collingwood were not going after either and that Pick 18 was up for grabs I think Beams and his manager would realised his move, whcih he had spoken to the club about much earlier, was a possibility.

It is clear he felt awkward about it.

Look you either want to be on the bus or you get off ! Here we go stop 29 off you go Dayne , we are heading forward with those who see the vision , take a seat lachie .

Who knows what went into keeping Dayne on the field , way more than we know I suspect yes he gave us good service that cannot be denied but it did come with a cost.

He played the last period with us poorly too many lies and bullshit to be frank.

Club made the right choice , got good return for him and we move forward with a new mentor for our fantastic bunch of kids , Neale will have them looking up to him and sharing the one vision

Dayne is back where he wanted to always be does that cure his demons ?

I fear not , but not our problem , the bus door closes

Last edited:
A player of the caliber of lachie Neale
Has joined us because he thinks this is a special group. He will galvanise the group and beams will be forgotten pretty quickly. Neale is also 25 which means he is closer in age to a lot of our younger players so shouldn’t have any issues creating strong bonds. Have a mate here in Perth who is good friends with Neale and by all reports a Ripping bloke . As discussed beams arrogance in choosing only Collingwood , Coming out half way through the trade period wasnt helpful at all . If we can nail pick 18 this year and first rounder we get from pies next year then the beams trade is a win as they could be long term players where as beams was gone in 2 years . I also think beams departures allows someone like Neale a far better opportunity to come In and start mentoring the younger players .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha. I'll let my agent Connors know and see what he says ;)
Fine if you're driving a hard bargain, they can have you as a delisted free agent. We'll get on the list lodgement now.

Perhaps I should elaborate and tell you all what I really think about Dayne and his departure.;):p
How do you REALLY feel?

It's ok i said my piece about a former captain then drew a line and havent commented again. Maybe you should let it all out and move on.

I wouldn't go as far as Dylan did, but it did read a little bit like he wanted us to concede its good foolr football that Dayne left us. Just dressed it up and out some lipstick on it to make it more palatable.

I absolutely disagree with the premise of the original post but spewing venom in response just discourages good posters from sharing their views. Just my opinion but would rather an articulate post I disagree with such as that one over some of the nonsense which gets responses on here sometimes.

As discussed beams arrogance in choosing only Collingwood
I'm cherry-picking here I know, but I see a lot of contradiction in seeing the arguments that Beams shouldn't have just chosen Collingwood when Neale did the same thing for us.

We both lost and benefited from that sort of move.

Dodongo thinks Collingwood supporters are nuffies. They think because they get their two academy guys and were using 18 on Quaynor anyway that effectively they got Beams for next years first rounder.

Dodongo points out that if Quaynor was available at pick 18, they would have been stupid to pick him - they could have got an additional player and waited for another bid on Quaynor. Dodongo laughs that they didn't realise they would only have to use 18 on Quaynor if he was bid before 18.
Fonzeno1 thinks maybe Dodongo doesn't fully understand the bidding system. Quaynor and Kelly are the targets. Pick 18 would have been used on Quaynor as Collingwood's next pick was in the 3rd round and if they took another player at 18 and then wanted Quaynor and Kelly as well it would have forced the club into huge deficit. Effectively downgrading next year's picks. Putting the fact that I fully expect a bid in the first round for Quaynor. There was no real scope to take an extra first round pick along with Kelly and Quaynor even with the 20% discount. The system is set up that way to make the draft more even. If anything it's better to have alot of lower picks to make up points because you can bundle what you need to use in deals and maybe hang onto the higher late round picks.

Fonzeno1 thinks maybe Dodongo doesn't fully understand the bidding system. Quaynor and Kelly are the targets. Pick 18 would have been used on Quaynor as Collingwood's next pick was in the 3rd round and if they took another player at 18 and then wanted Quaynor and Kelly as well it would have forced the club into huge deficit. Effectively downgrading next year's picks. Putting the fact that I fully expect a bid in the first round for Quaynor. There was no real scope to take an extra first round pick along with Kelly and Quaynor even with the 20% discount. The system is set up that way to make the draft more even. If anything it's better to have alot of lower picks to make up points because you can bundle what you need to use in deals and maybe hang onto the higher late round picks.

If Quaynor is bid on after 18, you can definitely make the case that Collingwood gave away another first round talent. Clubs would happily wear a deficit in the second or third round in future years to get that extra high draft talent in.

Richmond did a pick swap deal last year to squeeze maximum value by positioning their first pick right before third father son bid was expected. One example of many.

Brisbane fans have been dealing with the academy process longer than Pies fans. We get how it works.

There is certainly merit in the swap the Pies did. I predicted it days before it happened, but there is certainly a price that was paid, as you would expect to get a player like Beams.

I'm cherry-picking here I know, but I see a lot of contradiction in seeing the arguments that Beams shouldn't have just chosen Collingwood when Neale did the same thing for us.

We both lost and benefited from that sort of move.
I am already on record as saying that I don't agree that Neale and Adams (and Cameron last year) upped and left their clubs mid contract.

I think all players should honour their contract, because if the shoe was on the other foot and they had two years on their deals and severely busted their knee and couldn't play for 18 months, they sure as s**t would be expecting clubs to honour their contract whilst they sat on the sidelines.

I've obtained exclusive vision of the trade process

Collingwood: Very well time for the trade process.... You could have a first round and future pick where the lovely Nathan Buckley is standing

Or you can trade it for what's in this box?

217566.gif

There's plenty of ways to leverage your picks to suit academy bids. You could have downgraded your 18 and even gained more points (you almost always gain points on a pick downgrade, you easily could have received two picks in the 20's for it) for bidding, you could have traded for points and a 2019 pick, you could have gone up the draft, gaining a super talent in the 2018 draft AND your academy player and then copping the points deficit.

To the bolded bit, that flexibility is lost somewhat as you can only take the same amount of draft picks into the draft as you have list spots.

In short, to get beams, you've opened yourself up to a position where you have a points deficit on a really early bid, a lost first round talent on a late bid and a break even trade on a bid where you expect him to go. If things change, you're in a fair bit of trouble.

Ignorant to imply that 18 had no value to you. It did, and you chose to trade beams for two first rounders which was mitigated by a bidding situation. You're not immune to the risks of that all going to s**t if somebody bids on your academy players earlier or later than you expected though.

I am already on record as saying that I don't agree that Neale and Adams (and Cameron last year) upped and left their clubs mid contract.

I think all players should honour their contract, because if the shoe was on the other foot and they had two years on their deals and severely busted their knee and couldn't play for 18 months, they sure as s**t would be expecting clubs to honour their contract whilst they sat on the sidelines.
I completely agree with you. The current trend of contract breaking is completely nuts and makes no sense whatsoever. The power is completely in the hands of the players, or more specifically the player managers, and something should have been done about it a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back