Opinion Player list management and game plan 2019 part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know the key dates and deadlines pertaining to this year's free agency period and final list lodgement? Haven't seen it posted yet
- Thursday, 8 November: AFL delisted player free agency period (1) closes
- Saturday, 10 November: AFL delisted player free agency period (2) starts
- Friday, 16 November 5pm: AFL delisted player free agency period (2) closes
- Friday, 23 November 1.30pm – 2.30pm: AFL delisted player free agency period (3)
- Tuesday, 27 November 2pm: Final AFL club list lodgement

I can't tell which one is the next closest date though. This just looks like a jumbled mess to me. Can you please bold the next closest date from today?
Nothing matters for us other than the draft is in 2 weeks, and picks can be traded right up until the night. We aren't taking any DFA's this year.

Nothing matters for us other than the draft is in 2 weeks, and picks can be traded right up until the night. We aren't taking any DFA's this year.

Actually that's not right. Pick trading stops on 16 November and reopens on draft day.

So here's a best 22 list of players who will be 25 or under as of round 1 next year:

FF: ? - Marshall - ?
HF: Mayes - ? - Burton
R: Hayes - Wines - SPP
M: ? - Atley - Bonner
HB: ? - Howard - Houston
FB: DBJ - Clurey - Lienert

That leaves: Amon, Patmore, Drew, Farrell, Frampton, Garner, Johnson, Ladhams

As it stands, Frampton, Johnson and Farrell could slot up forward - but I still think there are considerable doubts over any of them making it. Farrell has shown some glimpses so hopefully he continues to develop and can get involved in games more - he's probably the closest to getting locked in.

Without having seen Hayes at AFL level I'm willing to bet that he'll be at the very least serviceable in the ruck at the top level so have put him on the list.

Haven't seen enough of Drew, Patmore, or Garner, and I don't think Ladhams or Amon will make it.

Back and middle looking very nice, but as we all know it's up forward where we look grim. Mayes might continue to be nothing but OK depth, and as much as this is sacrilege to say on this board, I still have reasonable doubt over whether Marshall will turn out to be a lock.

So here's a best 22 list of players who will be 25 or under as of round 1 next year:

As it stands, Frampton, Johnson and Farrell could slot up forward - but I still think there are considerable doubts over any of them making it. Farrell has shown some glimpses so hopefully he continues to develop and can get involved in games more - he's probably the closest to getting locked in.

Without having seen Hayes at AFL level I'm willing to bet that he'll be at the very least serviceable in the ruck at the top level so have put him on the list.

Haven't seen enough of Drew, Patmore, or Garner, and I don't think Ladhams or Amon will make it.

Back and middle looking very nice, but as we all know it's up forward where we look grim. Mayes might continue to be nothing but OK depth, and as much as this is sacrilege to say on this board, I still have reasonable doubt over whether Marshall will turn out to be a lock.

Farrel should be named in a foward pocket, excited by what he showed late last year.

Garner is a star ...just needs senior games

It wouldn’t surprise me if DBJ with Burton in the side pushes into our midfield rotations more. Fitness depending.
He certainly showed signs as a run with player.

If we had four top 20 picks this year, I would want:
One A-grader, high production, inside-outside mid (Smith will do)
One match-winning small forward (Rankine please)
One fast, skilful outside mid
One KPP

If we can fill the first three of these wishes with really good selections, add Mead next year and Schofield the year after, and nab a quality KPF and KPD over the next two drafts, then our list can recover quickly and see out the potential disaster that will be the retirements of R Gray, Boak, Ryder, Ebert, Dixon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Patmore on the wing or half forward, Garner in the back pocket locking down on a medium sized player.

Farrel should be named in a foward pocket, excited by what he showed late last year.
Patmore on the wing or half forward, Garner in the back pocket locking down on a medium sized player.

I only wanted to include players who I think have shown that they can definitely contribute at AFL level. Patmore and Garner certainly haven't done that yet, and IMO Farrell hasn't either. He's had about half a dozen very nice moments followed by sheer invisibility in his five games so far. Needs to get involved much more than he did last season. I'm not saying he won't reach that level, just that I'm yet to be convinced he's better than Neade/AJ.

I only wanted to include players who I think have shown that they can definitely contribute at AFL level. Patmore and Garner certainly haven't done that yet, and IMO Farrell hasn't either. He's had about half a dozen very nice moments followed by sheer invisibility in his five games so far. Needs to get involved much more than he did last season. I'm not saying he won't reach that level, just that I'm yet to be convinced he's better than Neade/AJ.

Agree on why you left Garner and Patmore out.

Disagree in Farrel though, yea he probably needs to do a bit more but he only played the few games late and showed enough to be excited about, another preseason (fitter and stronger) should have more impact in year two.

Back lines looks solid for a number of years and the core mids of SPP Wines and then Hayes rucking looks solid also. need some run and carry and another couple elite mids.

FF: RGray - Marshall - Westhoff
HF: Mayes - Dixon - Burton
M: Motlop - Ebert - Bonner
HB: Jonas - Howard - Houston