Who should Have the Next Statue at MCG

Who should Have the Next Statue at MCG ?

• Tony Lockett

Votes: 61 26.4%
  • Wayne Carey

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Gary Ablett Snr

Votes: 23 10.0%
  • Anthony Koutifides

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • James Hird

Votes: 16 6.9%
  • Michael Voss

Votes: 7 3.0%
  • Ben Cousins

Votes: 27 11.7%
  • Other

Votes: 44 19.0%
  • Eddie McGuire

Votes: 15 6.5%
  • Lou Richards

Votes: 14 6.1%
  • Sam Newman

Votes: 9 3.9%
  • Masher

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't be right to immortalise a thug who glasses women with a statue at the 'G.

Better to immortalise a thug who had police investigate his sickening attack on a player etc etc etc

Ok - Left Field nomination.

Max Walker. One of the last players to combine football and cricket seriously at the absolute top level. Useful footballer - gun cricketer. Played plenty of VFL and Australian Test Matches at the MCG (incl the Centenary Test, where he did well).

Plus, one of the first 'Fan Favourite' legends with his crowd interactions.

Statue outside Bay 13, thanks. To be unveiled 'Onagoodweegend'.:D

No flies on Mr Walker.

Tangles is already a legend in my mind.

Honest question.
Why is there a statue of John Coleman at the MCG?
I realise he was a great player and was sadly cut down in his prime by injury... but he only ever played 10 times at the MCG and kicked just 42 goals there. I’m not questioning his ability, but I am about why in particular does he get an MCG statue. How is he worthy?

Honest question.
Why is there a statue of John Coleman at the MCG?
I realise he was a great player and was sadly cut down in his prime by injury... but he only ever played 10 times at the MCG and kicked just 42 goals there. I’m not questioning his ability, but I am about why in particular does he get an MCG statue. How is he worthy?

Was going to ask the same question when I saw the list.

eebc5693f5d46fc733fb54c2f0c03816

There's my pick. Use that as the model.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On a serious note, the MCC has a criteria that statues recognize individuals withe extraordinary feats at the MCG.

So that pretty much rules out most of your list.

Given the criteria, it should be Scott Pendlebury. He'll have played more games on the G than any person in history by the end of the 2020 season, the vast majority at an incredible high standard including a Norm Smith.

https://afltables.com/afl/venues/mcg.html#04

Given the criteria, it should be Scott Pendlebury. He'll have played more games on the G than any person in history by the end of the 2020 season, the vast majority at an incredible high standard including a Norm Smith.

https://afltables.com/afl/venues/mcg.html#04
Good stat.

I reckon Riewoldt is a good chance to surpass Richo for most goals at the 'G.

Can think of a list off the top of my head:

Peter McKenna
Lou Richards
Lance Franklin
Maurice and Cyril
Kev Sheedy
Jock McHale
Royce Hart
Peter Hudson
Judd
John Todd
Allan Jeans
Tom Hafey
Gordon Coventry
Ross Glendinning
Shaun Burgoyne
Polly
Phonse Kyne
Barry Cable

Pretty sure none of the above have a statue at the G
+1 for Tom Hafey coached in about 8 or 9 grand finals for 4 flags and coached 4 clubs a true legend.

Biased, but Albert Snr. He is already a legend of the game but holds plenty of memories at the G.
  • Kicked the most goals in a single game at the ground (14). Twice!
  • Kicked Goal of the Year there in 1989 against Collingwood
  • Took Mark of the Year (Century) there in 1994
  • Kicked the most goals in a GF (9) there in 1989
And plenty of other highlights in his career.

Looking at the list I’m perplexed why Ted Bundy has been overlooked....
I don't know he m
Biased, but Albert Snr. He is already a legend of the game but holds plenty of memories at the G.
  • Kicked the most goals in a single game at the ground (14). Twice!
  • Kicked Goal of the Year there in 1989 against Collingwood
  • Took Mark of the Year (Century) there in 1994
  • Kicked the most goals in a GF (9) there in 1989
And plenty of other highlights in his career.
Barely mark of the century when he didn't even mark the ball

I don't know he m

Barely mark of the century when he didn't even mark the ball

Especially when mark of the century was taken in front of the biggest crowd of all time in a 44 point comeback after half time.

The Jezza statue should not be a part of the ring around the G. It should be by itself in a prominent position near the G and the statue should be three times as big as the others.

This was a seminal part of Australian history. This was the first time that immigrant Australians became mainstream in Aus society.

"Jesaulenko you beauty" is an iconic catchphrase that transcends club loyalty and seeped into the culture of Australia, to make Australia a more inclusive place.

Especially when mark of the century was taken in front of the biggest crowd of all time in a 44 point comeback after half time.

The Jezza statue should not be a part of the ring around the G. It should be by itself in a prominent position near the G and the statue should be three times as big as the others.

This was a seminal part of Australian history. This was the first time that immigrant Australians became mainstream in Aus society.

"Jesaulenko you beauty" is an iconic catchphrase that transcends club loyalty and seeped into the culture of Australia, to make Australia a more inclusive place.
Jezza actually marked the ball unlike Ablett

Ron Berassi
John Kennedy Snr
Norm Smith
Alan Jeans
Michael Tuck
Dunstall / Ablett / Lockett .... together
Neil Danniher
Greg Williams
Malcolm Blight
Kevin Sheedy
Michael Voss (for the Lions / Brisbane fans)
Cyril, Wanganeen, Macleod.... together

Back