EPL Matchday 18

Remove this Banner Ad

probably the first time in a while a 'lower' side has really punished our mistakes. mot of the time when players are taken wide like schlupp they hit it tamely or they dont shoot at all. got it absolutely perfect. same with townsend. slight mistake on the clearance out but again, majority of the time those shots fly out the stadium or into a player. plus a few players had probably well overdue shockers considering it's what, the 4th league loss of 2018? very difficult to keep that standard up for so long, especially now that another side is actually putting up direct competition. but 4 points at christmas is nothing. that mahrez penalty miss though.
Yeah I've read a lot of post going on about it's all lining up for Liverpool. It's only Christmas. Technically not even half way through the season and we are only 4 points clear. I'd be saying it's out year if we were perhaps 10 points clear. But 4 points is nothing and we have games against Arsenal and City coming up in a couple of weeks, could well be back behind City by early January.

Long way to go.

You're right, I do have soft spot for the third in a two horse race one.:horseracing:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery they say, but as with most imitations it’s cheap and lower quality ;)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery they say, but as with most imitations it’s cheap and lower quality ;)
Now you're next step is to win something and you know I'll be first in line to congratulate. "We drew at Barca" does not count

Now you're next step is to win something and you know I'll be first in line to congratulate. "We drew at Barca" does not count
I’m happy for you, at least you’ve got something to say seeing as we hardly lose now

Last edited:
Yeah I've read a lot of post going on about it's all lining up for Liverpool. It's only Christmas. Technically not even half way through the season and we are only 4 points clear. I'd be saying it's out year if we were perhaps 10 points clear. But 4 points is nothing and we have games against Arsenal and City coming up in a couple of weeks, could well be back behind City by early January.

Long way to go.

Still wouldn't be enough. A Salah or VVD goes injury changes everything and I wouldn't think we'd be able to keep it up.

We're going to need some luck all the way until the final match day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taking Everton lightly ?
I think Pendle said that to me once way back when, I think we've gone 11 unbeaten since.
We should at least draw, would be a very bad performance to lose.

Vintage Spursy performance from Chelsea there

They had a majority of the midfield play, created a stack of chances, yet they get undone by one brilliant bit of play and fail to find the back of the net themselves.

Our xG for the Wolves/Leicester games was about 2, which should have been enough to see us get something from both games even with defensive lapses.

Wolves/Leicester were simply much more clinical in both games. With a consistent finisher of our own IMO we don't lose either game.

I still wish to persist with Sarri because it's clear that in terms of ball-retention and overall cohesion (in terms of midfield linking defence and attack) we are light years ahead of last season. We are also creating enough chances to get something out of almost every game. However, without a consistent finisher Top 4 will be tough.

Defensively we are not great, but also not terrible - we are conceding well under a goal per game.

I had no problem with our first XI. It was clear that Sarri was looking to monopolise possession to prevent counter-attacks (hence why Kovacic started) and Willian was meant to press Ricardo Pereira and prevent him from bombing forward (which didn't really work). He should have subbed Giroud/RLC on after the first half though, not after Leicester scored. Hazard is also (grotesquely) a better finisher than Giroud/Morata so using him as a false 9 makes some sort of sense - the problem is that it's not really what he does best.

Hats off to Leicester - they came to break from deep and they accomplished that task perfectly.

Our xG for the Wolves/Leicester games was about 2, which should have been enough to see us get something from both games even with defensive lapses.

Wolves/Leicester were simply much more clinical in both games. With a consistent finisher of our own IMO we don't lose either game.

I still wish to persist with Sarri because it's clear that in terms of ball-retention and overall cohesion (in terms of midfield linking defence and attack) we are light years ahead of last season. We are also creating enough chances to get something out of almost every game. However, without a consistent finisher Top 4 will be tough.

Defensively we are not great, but also not terrible - we are conceding well under a goal per game.

I had no problem with our first XI. It was clear that Sarri was looking to monopolise possession to prevent counter-attacks (hence why Kovacic started) and Willian was meant to press Ricardo Pereira and prevent him from bombing forward (which didn't really work). He should have subbed Giroud/RLC on after the first half though, not after Leicester scored. Hazard is also (grotesquely) a better finisher than Giroud/Morata so using him as a false 9 makes some sort of sense - the problem is that it's not really what he does best.

Hats off to Leicester - they came to break from deep and they accomplished that task perfectly.
Reckon Mertens would be beast for you guys for 2-3 years if Hazard is going to continue in that false 9 role, them two can rotate when needed.

You'd only need one target guy, not two. Morata has resale value so best to cash in on him imo.

Reckon Mertens would be beast for you guys for 2-3 years if Hazard is going to continue in that false 9 role, them two can rotate when needed.

You'd only need one target guy, not two. Morata has resale value so best to cash in on him imo.

The only downside with Mertens is that he's pushing 32.

Agree about Morata - at the moment he can't finish his lunch and mentally he is shot.

I wouldn't mind Giroud being replaced with somebody like Mitrovic, who can also play that big target-man role whilst being a better finisher (Giroud has better link-up play though).

Back to winning ways is handy.

Don't see how it's Liverpool's title to lose. They're four points ahead and we're not even in the new year FFS.

If they win all of their remaining games they win the title, if they don't, then they might not win the title. It's literally in their hands.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back